SUMMER SLAM - the next gen of ohr contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

All of these are added. I believe it might be cheating to use Hans Stinkman as a single use since it had so many rules to choose from. If you want to submit each rule individually that might be fine.

The goal of the contest is everyone uses the same theme and the same gimmick to produce something. Hans Stinkman was a rule for individuals.

I've updated the spreadsheet with all of the themes and gimmicks requested so far.

ALSO as a reminder to those entering and judging. The wheels dictate everything. If a game does not utilize the themes and gimmicks prominently then we will have to disqualify the game, regardless of how good or fun it may be. I realize it's a downer, but it does keep all contestants on equal footing.
Last edited by RMZ on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

I got my brain juices flowing
Theme Ideas:
  • Grocery Store
    Replacing a Lightbulb
    COWS.
    Magical School Anime
    Dadaism
Gimmick ideas:
  • 1 bit color: (only 2 colors per tiles/sprites, or just 2 colors total, idk)
    Tiny Res: must be half or less area than the standard 320x200
    Expression: Everything must be making the same expression. Characters, enemies, animals, etc.
    Nuke: The game must include at least one nuclear bomb that detonates at some point int the game
    Bananas: The game must have at least 50 bananas.
    Pro Self Insert: every character must be you, as exact as possible.
    Fruity: Every character, animal, etc. must be a fruit
    One Hue: The master pal is a gradient of one color, either one universal color chosen at random, or each entry can choose their own color, idk.
    Peace Out, Maaan: There can be no conflict at all in the game, no battles, no mentions of fighting, not even any arguing between characters.
    Who's the Hero Anyways?: The player controlled character(s) are *NOT* the protagonist of the story, they're bystanders that the player controls.
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

i hope i did this right. not really sure if i should interpret some stuff as a theme or gimmick.

THEMES
Criminality
Go crazy. Just lose it.
Moving too fast - maybe you're moving too fast. maybe things are moving too fast. there is an implication of things being out of control or difficult to manage. especially if it moves faster than the player or main character can manage.
Dragged along - but not necessarily literally... you are not under your own control, somehow, perhaps thrown about on the seas of fate, or forcefully led by some other person or people. at the whim of some external or internal force
Magic Stone - the game revolves around some artifact, idol, rune, gem etc.,
Being Lost - Finding yourself in situations you've never been before. Off the deep end.
Let's blow this joint - the game is about pressing forward and progressing. running water never goes stale. It could be part of the narrative or gameplay
Only until tomorrow - The player adheres to a day and night cycle/course of time, and things change overnight or at certain times. It can be scripted, or part of the plot. Predetermined or systematic.
I'll do it tomorrow - The game involves a time limit of 1 day
Up in the air - Terrestrial Locomotion is not normal. You could dive underwater, be sky pirates, teleport, navigate virtual spaces etc.,
Life and Death. Syke! - The game has an unusual twist on typical mortality. Immortal vampires, unbecoming, reincarnation, heaven and hell. Maybe killed things don't stay dead, or there is a respawn mechanic for the player.
Every breath you take - shouting, incantation, oxygen management, fire breathing, something else... be creative!

GIMMICK
Big Symbol - you use a main symbol to carry the themes of the game.
You may divide this into 2 or 3 symbols. e.g, thesis, antithesis, synthesis... protgonist, antagonist, deuteragonist

Ways of the Wild/Wicked/Wonderful World - A (e.g,)vertical... slice of a world

Action packed - there should be some interactable, furnishing, detail etc., every few tiles. Say 1 thing every 8x8 tiles minimum? There is ALWAYS DEPTH.
There aren't any shallow interactions, there is at least 1 main layer to everything, with at least 1 further layer. For example, conversation leading to dialogue options leading to more conversation. It is okay if the detail is hidden by event, switch, tag etc.,

Always On - the game doesn't stop in menus etc.,
Last edited by SwordPlay on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I guess I have a few

Themes
Fishing - Self-explanatory
Offices - office settings, using office supplies as weapons, ect
Pretentiousness - Make the game seem like a pretentious art game
Noob - Make your game look like a newbie made it

Gimmick
Character creation
No leveling up
Last edited by Idontknow on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Working as intended!
Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

MORE SETTINGS... THINGS... IDK. I FORGOT WHAT WORD! OH OOPS CAPS LOCK IS ON-
Film Noir: Gritty story with a dangerous story and detectives maybe and dangerous ladies definitely
Mushroomy Kingdom: Takes place in a mushroom world idk pretty much speaks for itself
Space Janitors: About some peeps who clean up space junk.
Feudal Japan: Ninjas and slime idk
Cellular Lifeforms: Takes place in a microscopic setting with cellular lifeforms
Picnic: About a packed lunch somehow.

MORE GIMMICKS... maybe idk I'm brainded but here goes
4 Key controls: You can only have 4 buttons to control the character, i.e. Space, Left, Right, Esc (may require scripting, I'll leave discretion up to the organizers)
Limited tileset: Only use half of a tileset for the entire game.
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

List is updated with the suggestions I thought could be implemented.

Because the skill levels in our community are not consistent, which is 100% fine for this contest. I did remove Ravan's suggestion of 4 buttons only as that would involve coding some people might not feel comfortable doing. In general Ravan's themes are some of the strongest so far.

I think before the spin, I might let each judge veto 1 theme and 1 gimmick if they choose to in the event they just don't want to play X amount of games with the possibility of that as one of them. We have enough themes and gimmicks to spare 3 on each side. I'm looking at you Ravan, for your 50 bananas gimmick.

Swordplay, a lot of yours I didn't totally get, so no offense but I only took the ones I thought could actually be executed. Feel free to edit and resubmit!

I did remove Hans Stinkman from the list as that one idea is too many to count as 1 theme. Feenick, if you want to include specific rules from that one as themes or gimmicks here just let us know.
Last edited by RMZ on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Swordplay brought up a good point in Discord that I guess should have been clearer in my main post.

The $5 entry fee isn't for an individual entirely but for a game. You could be a 40 person team and that team still pays $5 to enter their submission. If in the situation of Swordplay, he wanted to team up with 10 different teams. EACH of those 10 teams needs to submit their respective $5 entry fees to submit their titles.

I hope this clears that up. It's the first contest where we've asked for money to participate so I wanted to try and come up with a way that would also encourage teaming up for those that might not be able to get the $5 by 6/22.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I'll sign up to be a judge.

Themes:
Heroic Poem: Something like The Tain or The Odyssey, a heroic tale about an ancient mythological figure. Doesn't have to actually be a poem in any way.
Ancient Aliens: Aliens messing around with prehistoric humans, or humans messing around with prehistoric aliens.
German Expressionism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Ex ... m_(cinema)
Metahorror: The NPCs in a game realize the player is the player, and don't like that.

Gimmicks:
Old-school Macintosh: You have black, you have white. No other colors.
CGA graphics: Early PC games were extremely limited in the amount of colors they could display at one point, limited to 4 sets containing 4 colors. You can use any of those sets at one time, but you can change these sets however much you'd like.
EGA graphics: You can only use 16 colors on-screen at any time.
32-bit graphics: You can only use 32 colors on-screen at any time.
Color-wash: You must incorporate multiple palettes, these should be shades of one color. A regular palette is fine, but at some point these color-specific palettes should come into the picture.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

You are our third judge Morpheus­Kitami! Thanks!

I won't be seeking out additional judges. If Nathan Karr, who was everyone's first pick, does accept the invitation to judge he will be an honorary fourth judge, but otherwise I'll plan on just three.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

As of now we've not formally asked them, but we would like to have guest judges for this and do away with community voting. We had a dream team list of them last night of James Paige, Nathan Karr and TMC. This is providing they want to do it, can judge all entries within a 2 week time period and are not entering themselves. Judges will get a special prize from Spoonweaver and myself that will be determined later.
I was considering it, but clearly you've got the positions filled now. I'm thinking of entering if I get into a good financial position in the next couple of months.
ALSO as a reminder to those entering and judging. The wheels dictate everything. If a game does not utilize the themes and gimmicks prominently then we will have to disqualify the game, regardless of how good or fun it may be. I realize it's a downer, but it does keep all contestants on equal footing.
Thank goodness! I've lost contests because better games just outright ignored gimmicks and rules and got away with it because they were fun on multiple occasions, and it was always frustrating.

Anyway, I have some suggestions:

THEME:
SUSTAINED BY LIFE The player character's life is in some way sustained by the ending of others; a vampire, a completely natural carnivorous animal, whatever. Express this in story and, as much as possible, gameplay.
A BOY AND HIS DOG The two central characters are a normal person and a cherished pet, and their emotional bond is an important theme; do not need to literally be a boy and a dog.
WESTERN Takes place in the American West with shootouts and cool hats.
IT ACTUALLY IS BLACK AND WHITE Depicts a setting in which morality is objective and there are such definite things as good and evil regardless of peoples' cultures and beliefs. Protagonist is not restricted to being on the "white" side of this divide.

GIMMICK:
OHRRPGCE RETRO FEEL Must exclusively use free default OHRRPGCE engine pack-in music no matter how sick of them you are, and the Old Default Master Palette as your exclusive master palette.
THOSE FAMILIAR VIKINGS Must prominently use graphics from Vikings of Midgard. May add and edit more but should attempt to be aesthetically similar in terms of outlines and shading, at least.
8-BIT FNRRF FANTASY Must prominently use sprites and tiles from Fnrrf's 8-bit graphics set, but can edit them to add black outlines, full battle backdrops, more than the three colors, etc. so long as this sort of change is broadly applied where relevant (all heroes, all monsters, etc.).
STEALING NON-ITEMS You definitely get something in your inventory from performing some sort of action on your turn in battle using the Steal Item mechanics, but it's not the traditional "potions, vendor trash, and rare weapons and armor attainable no other way on specific bosses". Are you taking the enemy's photograph? Sketching a drawing of them? Writing down a scroll that will teach characters a spell the monster uses? Capturing them in some sort of spherical device to add to your team? Drawing some metaphysical energy essence out of them in a more esoteric way?
SCREENWISE SCROLLING The game must consist of 16x10 rooms and a script similar to this for scrolling between them. Use as few as two rooms or as many as you can fit between all the maps you can define. Use door links for fast travel points if you want, but the main mode of travel should be walking from one screen to another.
A TALL ORDER Your most prominently featured walkabout sprites must be a minimum of 21 pixels tall.
TRANSLATION TRAINWRECK Dialog, item names, descriptions, and the like must be riddled with many typos, malapropisms, homophone displacements, syntax errors, or other general forms of poor written communication. Running long strings of text through Google Translate a few times can help.
OVER NINE THOUSAND Must make heavy use of Internet memes like All Your Base Are Belong To Us, That's Mama Luigi To You Mario, Shoop Da Whoop, Thanks For the Gold Kind Stranger, and No Eat.
WEASELS There must be a minimum of one mustelid, preferably a plurality.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I'd like to see the gimmick wheel use a "spin X, choose Y" mechanism -- maybe spin 3, choose 2? The idea is that it affords some flexibility, and if one of the rules is a turn-off to some, it's not a dealbreaker.

If you'd rather not do that, then my submission for one of the spaces on each wheel is "spin 3, choose 2."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

[yt]kU0ySu3AxuE[/yt]
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Official 2021 Summer Slam Hatâ„¢!
Attachments
summer slam 2021 hat.jpg
summer slam 2021 hat.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

get hype for puppets
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

get hyped for yet another charbile win over spoonweaver