Icespire :: a Slime Salad play by post D&D 5th ed campaign

Play-by-forum D&D and such go here.
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Hastening to reach the old woman, Bometrus looks towards the front of the windmill, and notices that the manticore's pounding at the front door has broken one corner of it away.

He runs through the gap in the north side of the fence and slips through the hole in the door, unlocks the door, and opens it from the inside.  Then he peeks out through the door and gestures to the rest of the party to get inside before the manticore realizes they're there.

(Dash action to the front door and just inside the windmill)
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Seeing her companion beckon, Jenny moves into the windmill as quickly as she thinks she can without attracting attention.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Pretending that nobody saw his failed jump Mug follows Jenny
Sazae
Red Slime

Post by Sazae »

Fifi knows that if she stays out here, the Manticore will not hesitate to try and eat her. Seeing that the other adventurers have managed to find somewhat of a safe space, Fifi tries her best to go inside with the rest of her party without drawing the attention of the monster.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"What is this!? A fake cow? Your tricks won't stop me old woman!" snarled the Manticore loudly as it swiped the cow a few more times.
It turned it's attention back to the door, and smashed into it with a large paw. "Feed me!" it growled!

"Oh, go find your meal elsewhere you dumb beast!" cried the woman from the second floor.

Fifi had just ended the small room a few seconds before the manticore bang pounding on the door again. The small room the group was in held a large mill stone that was slowly grinding. a few large sacks of what looked to be grain sat int he corner. A ladder leading up to the second floor was blocked a closed trap door on the roof of the room.

A large paw swiped into the room as the manticore begun scratching at the stone wall and ripping pebbles from it little by little.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

"I feel like this is a step down, friends. The beast has us trapped too now."

Jenny scales the ladder and knocks on the trapdoor.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Mug looks at the claw reaching in.

He looks at the bags of grain. "Are any of these already milled to flour?" he wonders aloud.

"A snout full of flour might blind it for a moment if we need another short distraction."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Mug finds 2 large sacs of flour.
The manticore continues to attack the front door, the adventurers see the door begin to give way.
"I need to eat! Stop being so selfish!" snarled the manticore.
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Bometrus thinks back to a trek through the wild Starmetal Hills he once shared with his brother Sotorian, and with fear starting to give way to stubbornness, he draws his short sword and prepares to fight. Though his story may end in this strange place, his honor won't allow him to give up on proving the truth about his brother's murder, or stand by and let his companions lose their lives as well.

Then an idea strikes him: as the manticore tears away rocks from the door frame, it's becoming less and less stable, and if any of the adventurers could pull down some of those rocks onto the manticore as it started to break through the door, they'd be the ones with the advantage of mobility. But he can't say anything about this plan out loud, lest the manticore realize what he's planning.

With his empty left hand, Bometrus hurriedly traces some words in the air. An illusionary scroll appears, floating in the air in front of Jenny, and with these words hastily scrawled on it:

(Cantrip: Minor Illusion)
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
Sazae
Red Slime

Post by Sazae »

"Well, I'm not going to stand around here and wait for that thing to break in and eat us all!" Fifi yelled, moving to climb up the ladder to the second floor where the lady who needed help was.

Once there, she turned to the lady and asked "So, how did this thing find you and do you have anything to distract it?"
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"What!" the old lady cried as Fifi came up through the trap door. She calmed down a bit as Fifi spoke. "I don't know where the thing came from. I see creatures in the distance sometimes but they don't tend to bother me. the farmer's sheep should be an easier target. I guess this one is lost or something." The old lady retrieves a small bottle from a shelf. "Here I was going to throw it at the monster but I don't want to burn my house down. You can have it if you're careful with it. It's a bottle of alchemist's fire. It should distract the thing for a bit, but I think you'll need to kill it or scare it off or something. Try to make sure it doesn't just come back."
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Sorry, didn't see James's post!

Jenny peers at the illusion and squints, and then her eyes go wide. She shakes her head vigorously and pantomimes a structure collapsing with a silent explosion.
Last edited by Mogri on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Without paying much attention to the others, Mug hoists one of the bags of flour over his head and prepares to hurl it at the hole in the door
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

As the party prepares, a large part of the door rends open and the manticore tries to crawl through, only to get a sac of flour to the face. The puff of flour covers the area around the door leaving the manticore unable to see much of anything but also obscuring him a bit as well. "What are you doing! What is this sorcery!" roared the manticore as it struggled with the puff of flour.

We are now in turned based combat.

Initiative: As there is only 1 monster and it has gotten surprised, everyone will go before it does.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

(assuming that you are rolling initiative for us and we don't need to do it here. Also not sure if that counted as Mug's attack, so phrasing his action accordingly)

Pleased to have confused the beast, of only briefly, Mug resolves to strike the monster with his sword before the moment of advantage is lost