Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

That's a great use of elemental counter attacks! Do you use it for heroes too?
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Happy to see that you got out of your funk some time back and got back to it Surlaw! I saw some of the game recently and it's very charming. Nice work!
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

The "WEAK" and "STRONG" indicators are a great idea!  I think they might be better, though, if instead of "WEAK" and "STRONG", they said "2x" and "0.5x" (or whatever multipliers are being used.)  If they say "WEAK", I feel like there's an ambiguity about whether they're saying the enemy is weak against that attack or the attack is weak against that enemy.

(Granted, it probably only seems ambiguous to me because I'm an airhead, but that was something that bugged me in Persona 5, which does the same thing.)
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I'm not sure that's so simple, since enemies can have multiple strengths/weaknesses. If there are attacks with multiple elements, the resulting value might not be 2x or 0.5x.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It would be good to apply this to heroes too, but I'm not sure the best way to do that because weakness/strength changes a lot based on equipment. Everyone has a default strength but then accessories change that. It doesn't look like there's currently a plotscripting command to alter hero counter attacks.
polkakitty wrote:The "WEAK" and "STRONG" indicators are a great idea!  I think they might be better, though, if instead of "WEAK" and "STRONG", they said "2x" and "0.5x" (or whatever multipliers are being used.)  If they say "WEAK", I feel like there's an ambiguity about whether they're saying the enemy is weak against that attack or the attack is weak against that enemy.

(Granted, it probably only seems ambiguous to me because I'm an airhead, but that was something that bugged me in Persona 5, which does the same thing.)
In addition to what Mogs said, I thought of the ambiguity too once I was testing this. I added in some captions to make it clearer.
Attachments
walthrosrenewal0069.png
walthrosrenewal0069.png (14.13 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Making a couple of changes so the world building makes more sense.
Attachments
An old sea captain waiting to ferry Bob and friends to their next destination. This character was originally going to be a dolphin until â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– 
An old sea captain waiting to ferry Bob and friends to their next destination. This character was originally going to be a dolphin until â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– 
Seal.PNG (15.68 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

A salty sea dog, I see.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

He is the absolute saltiest.

Looking at how many text boxes each main character has so far:

Bob: 731
Salom: 141
Suwanee: 92
Gus: 89
Lydia: 130
Pescado: 115

There's a total of 2,616 text boxes so far. Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy had 5,041 total.
Attachments
Working on a frog sprite for an NPC in Flopsberg. Whenever you see a character with hair that shouldn't have hair, that's actually a wig made of sponge.
Working on a frog sprite for an NPC in Flopsberg. Whenever you see a character with hair that shouldn't have hair, that's actually a wig made of sponge.
Frog.PNG (7.78 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Anyone want to make a mini game??

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Sounds like a mod of bean boy.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Finished up the final NPC for Flopsberg. One more room and one more cutscene and then it's on Lagarto Villa!
Attachments
walthrosrenewal0057.gif
walthrosrenewal0057.gif (731.61 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I love that.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I love that animation of peeking out the door
The Wobbler wrote:Anyone want to make a mini game??

if the scope is small enough, maybe? are there any other requirements beyond what the seal pup layed out?
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

The Wobbler wrote:Finished up the final NPC for Flopsberg. One more room and one more cutscene and then it's on Lagarto Villa!
Did you do this with zones? I did something similar for Unibaby when she's in jail. Either way, this looks real goofy and on brand for your humor. Can definitely tell building towns is your favorite part of this project.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

All NPC interactions are zone based yeah.
Bob the Hamster wrote:if the scope is small enough, maybe? are there any other requirements beyond what the seal pup layed out?
I'm imagining each stage is a single screen with your crap burger getting bigger as it touches smaller particles of varying speeds, only obstacle would be a stage timer that ends the game if you haven't eaten all of them. Completing a stage adds the remaining time to the next stage's timer and the particles get faster. Not sure how the secret level would work but it would probably just be a menu where making certain choices erases your high scores!
Attachments
Some backstory on Salom and Cliftin.
Some backstory on Salom and Cliftin.
Cliftin.PNG (30.92 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
Relationships are tough.
Relationships are tough.
Cliftin.PNG (19.2 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Final piece of Flopsberg's map is finished. This is not a good kitchen to be in right now!
Final piece of Flopsberg's map is finished. This is not a good kitchen to be in right now!
Kitchen.PNG (33.21 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.