Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The weightlifting minigame is done! Just need to make the HUD look prettier.
Attachments
walthrosrenewal0050.gif
walthrosrenewal0050.gif (1.1 MiB) Viewed 1783 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I love this. I don't think I've seen a weightlifting minigame in a game before.

What if you made "time left" a stamina bar that gradually ticks down, and there were things you could do to slow or increase the rate at which your stamina depletes? For example, hitting the wrong button makes stamina go down faster. Can't think of what would make stamina go up, though... Combos? Quick-time events?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Can't think of what would make stamina go up, though... Combos? Quick-time events?
Have a random trainer pop in from the side and scream "You can do it!" If you "do it" (aka press the right button at the right time), then you gain a burst of energy and a few seconds on the clock.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I actually don't know the best way to display a stamina bar vs. a clock, if anyone wants to advise me I do think that would look nicer!

Right now, hitting the wrong button "stuns" you for a second, you're unable to press anything until Bob stops making noises. Adding a way to boost the remaining time is a good idea, I'll think about the best way to do it. The trainer's right there next to you, so involving him makes the most sense.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I actually don't know the best way to display a stamina bar vs. a clock, if anyone wants to advise me I do think that would look nicer!
James or TMC would probably have to advise you on the type of code to pull this off, but you can definitely show an updated stamina bar based on variable conditions both quickly and easily. In Entrepreneur, I have bar graphs that can accurately show data based on values like income earned, income spent, etc., and I wrote it in just a few hours.

The trick is to match slice rectangle sizes to real-time data.

All you'll need to define ahead of time is the slice handle (as sl:name) and lookup code (or maybe they're the same thing?). You'll need to define lookup codes--that much I know for sure--and then parent them to a slice you can alter through scripting, like time, for example.

The easiest solution would be to have a countdown global variable that updates every time the timer cycles, and then match your slice-based HUD to the value in the global variable. That's basically what I do to create these bar graphs:

Hope that gives you ideas.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I vote for making the stamina bar in the shape of a big beefy arm that changes frames to flex harder depending on the fullness of the bar.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

All good ideas! I'm going to finish up the rest of the town first and then will go back and work on this more.
kylekrack wrote:I vote for making the stamina bar in the shape of a big beefy arm that changes frames to flex harder depending on the fullness of the bar.
I do something similar in the digging mini game, where there's a Bob face portrait that gets more tired as you start running out of turns. Would be good to do that here to be consistent.
Attachments
I got some Yakuza in my Walthros. These two guys are minor NPCs who will have a side quest later in the game. They're here because I thought the name puns were funny.
I got some Yakuza in my Walthros. These two guys are minor NPCs who will have a side quest later in the game. They're here because I thought the name puns were funny.
Cats.PNG (23.26 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Once you've upgraded your weapons to a certain point, you can transform them into new forms.
Once you've upgraded your weapons to a certain point, you can transform them into new forms.
Seal.PNG (23.54 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
Lift weights, get beans.
Lift weights, get beans.
Beans.PNG (22.66 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

In addition to the side stories you find, certain NPCs will change as the story goes on just by talking to them. Waldo here will have different dialogue depending on whether you meet him in Flopsberg first or in another city later.
Attachments
Be safe out there.
Be safe out there.
Seal.PNG (25.56 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
A lot of people in Flopsberg lost their jobs when the comedy club closed. I promise there will be a payoff for this one.
A lot of people in Flopsberg lost their jobs when the comedy club closed. I promise there will be a payoff for this one.
Eyebrow.PNG (21.05 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Drew a frog lady who runs a newly-opened ghost tour in Bufopolis. You'll be able to visit the tour during Act 3.
Drew a frog lady who runs a newly-opened ghost tour in Bufopolis. You'll be able to visit the tour during Act 3.
Frog.PNG (25.79 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Elpehant.PNG
Elpehant.PNG (13.95 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Be sure to stop and eat at each restaurant in the game to view special scenes between the party and earn some XP!
Attachments
Who's hungry?
Who's hungry?
Noodles.PNG (22.23 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Bob and Suwanee getting some lunch at Flopsberg's noodle restaurant.
Bob and Suwanee getting some lunch at Flopsberg's noodle restaurant.
Noodles.PNG (16.67 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

i dig the subtle humour of this game. :v:
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks, I'm almost done with this batch of story and jokes and am moving back to battle design for a while.
Attachments
Good luck, Salom!
Good luck, Salom!
Sale.PNG (23.76 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Our next mini game: Helping out at Salom's mom's bake sale to raise funds for the Flopsberg Temple. You'll need to pay close attention to what the customers are saying!
Our next mini game: Helping out at Salom's mom's bake sale to raise funds for the Flopsberg Temple. You'll need to pay close attention to what the customers are saying!
Seal.PNG (22.32 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
A gameplay change for Hank: His standard attacks now recover MP based on his weapon upgrade level. Once you can transform your weapon, you'll be able to choose between MP and HP recovery.
A gameplay change for Hank: His standard attacks now recover MP based on his weapon upgrade level. Once you can transform your weapon, you'll be able to choose between MP and HP recovery.
Hank.PNG (19.8 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Happy New Year! A new demo's available. I know I said 1.61 would be the last one, but I made a bunch of fixes, opened one more dungeon, and added an actual ending rather than the abrupt stop in the previous release. Download here: https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 421#136421
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Back to new stuff.
Attachments
Finished up a hidden boss fight! Don't get pinched.
Finished up a hidden boss fight! Don't get pinched.
Crab.PNG (15.95 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Adding Strong/Weak indicators that give you some feedback when you hit an enemy with elemental attacks.
Adding Strong/Weak indicators that give you some feedback when you hit an enemy with elemental attacks.
Weak.gif (115.31 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Something big and pinchy's lurking in the darkness underneath the Flopsberg apartment complex!
Something big and pinchy's lurking in the darkness underneath the Flopsberg apartment complex!
Crab.PNG (44.27 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I've uploaded a new version of the Walthros: Renewal demo that fixes one really nasty (but rare) bug that could force players to have to close out of the game. I've kept this file separate from the Heart of the OHR entry version, in case anyone wants a "pure" version of what was built for the contest.

Demo V2.1 January 14th 2021:

-Fixed bug where menus could become stuck in rare circumstances.
-Added additional visual indicators for directions in CPU puzzles.
-Added STRONG and WEAK indicators for elemental hits on enemies.
-Fixed bug where the conclusion to a certain side story could play twice.
-Fixed wallmapping in Walrus Manor.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Stuff and things
Attachments
The "Salom Gets A Job" mini game is finished!
The "Salom Gets A Job" mini game is finished!
Clerk.PNG (23.06 KiB) Viewed 1398 times