Updating games during contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Eonhetwo
Red Slime

Updating games during contest

Post by Eonhetwo »

Hi, quick question;
What's the rule on updating our games once the contest has started? Do we have to wait till it's over?
Just a vessel for dank memes
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Do what I do: Upload a separate copy of the .zip file and put a file comment stating that this was put up after the contest deadline.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Honestly, I'm not checking for that, nor am I penalizing anyone who updates during the voting period. I mean, the contest shouldn't determine when or how you update your game.

But since you're asking, my official position regarding updates during the voting period is this:

If you're fixing bugs, then just fix bugs. If you're adding content, let us know what you're adding. Voters may choose to vote according to the new content, but they are not required to. Because the contest has an end date, it's understandable and expected that voters (and other designers) will want votes limited to content released within the window. So letting us know what's new until the voting period is over is probably best. Then again, you should be letting users know what new updates contain regardless because that's standard practice when you update any product in any format or medium.

I'm almost finished with the voting campaign announcement. Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll be able to launch Heart of the OHR 2020's final phase. Keep an eye on the forums and/or my YouTube channel for that to start.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

In my view, since Pepsi went to the trouble of telling us in the original contest post that we should set aside December for bug testing... Dec 31st was the cut off of all updates. He was generous enough to give us the weekend just after -- and believe me I'd have loved to do more bugfixing -- but I'm sticking with what I submitted, blemishes and all.
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Imo I think it's ok to fix game breaking bugs so people can see all the content of the game, but small bugfixes can be "lived with" so to speak. Of course, as a game player I'd prefer the most bugfixed game possible, but I can see why limiting it would be within the spirit of the contest.
Working as intended!
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

That's a fair distinction I think. If an elusive game breaker were found, I'd maybe let it go if it were a really unlikely circumstance, but if it were a more common circumstance I'd probably want to patch it.

In fact, I'll use that nomenclature: bugfixing is for things that don't really go the way you intended. Patching would be okay with me for game-breakers.

EDIT: but personally I'd limit patching to being something that was initiated by a complaint by a player. Not a thing initiated by the creator.
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?