Heart of the OHR Contest 2020

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I don't plan to participate anymore, I never really made enough progress on my game for it to be at a level where I would be comfortable entering it in the contest. I am excited to play all the entrants though!
Working as intended!
Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

Would it be too late for me to submit [game]Christmas Stars[/game] for this contest?

I was planning on making something specifically for this year's HotOHR but life's gotten in the way so I haven't been able to make much progress on that.
Last edited by Kefyrra on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

You all have until December 31st to submit an entry. So, as long as it meets the base requirements and it's released on time, it'll be eligible. If it meets the base requirement (at least 30 minutes of game time without grinding) but doesn't meet the traditional requirements (battle and level-up), let me know, and I'll check the game for possible exceptions. I rarely reject an entry when it meets the base requirement. I only do it when the game's a really bad fit for the contest. If in doubt, make sure you have some element of character progression in play. I won't accept a 30-minute Pac-Man clone, not unless Pac-Man gets bigger, faster, or stronger the longer he survives.

[spoiler]Great, now someone's going to make exactly that...[/spoiler]

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

This took me way too long to finish, but Convenience Functions for the OHR: Volume 1 is now complete and ready for your use. Sorry I'm publishing this four weeks before the deadline, but it's still perfect for the bugfix stage, which is about where most of you should be by now.

Make sure you read the instructions (in a PDF for those of you who don't have MS Word) before using it. You'll need to add its required global variables and constants to your game before it'll work. You can also test certain functions in the companion game file, Movement Shortcuts, if you're not sure what effect the function will have on your game.

Let me know if anything breaks.

Again, sorry this took so long. I've been so busy lately.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Unless any huge bugs pop up, this will likely be the version of KA submitted for hotohr. Version 1.8, specifically.

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 956#136956

The download is here on slime salad for now, but I'm planning on doing a paid release on Itch once all is made final, so if the download link ever disappears and you want to play for contest voting, let me know and I can send you a copy of the game.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey everyone, we're in the final week. Hope you're wrapping everything up with a nice, tidy bow.

Now for the important stuff:

I'm gonna start scouring the list for both actual and potential entries today, so that I can stay ahead of the deadline. If you've announced your intentions to enter somewhere in this thread and you've got a game posted on the Game List or linked here, and you've done all the updating you plan to do before January, and it shows that the game has been updated sometime within the window (ideally with the significant content that the contest expects for validation), then you're good-to-go and we'll see your game(s) on the voter roll soon.

If you update your game between now and the deadline, please send me a PM stating so, so that I can re-download it.

If you post your game anywhere other than Slime Salad (including Castle Paradox), I'll need you to send me a PM letting me know, as I am no longer checking for games outside of Slime Salad (but I am still accepting them from outside).

If you have not announced your intentions to enter in this thread, but you've released an eligible game during the window, I will contact you through PM about making it an official entry (and being eligible for all the usual prizes).

If I see an update to an older game, but I do not know what the update is or what it adds, I will also be contacting you to find out if your update makes your game eligible.

So, if any of you wants to save me the trouble of investigating the list and just outright tell me the state of your game either here or in PM based on whether you've got an eligible entry or will before Friday, that would be awesome.

And just a reminder, I'm unlikely to bring Heart of the OHR back in 2022, as I'm burning out on this, so if you've ever wanted to join the contest, you've got five days left. Good luck!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Updated Katja's Abyss. Only major change is that you can save and quit in the middle of campaign missions. Worth picking up this version if you had v1.8 previously. Save games should be compatible across versions, but let me know if you find an issue with that.

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 956#136956
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Last call.

Two days remain.

Two days until...

It's now or never!
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Pepsi Ranger wrote: It's now or never!
I don't want to live forever.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey guys,

Even though the contest is officially over in just over 12 hours, I won't be announcing the entries until probably Monday or Tuesday, so enjoy the weekend, do something fun, get your mind off of 2020, and I'll launch the voting period next week.

(And if you sneak in an update between now and Monday, I won't complain. Given how crappy this year has been for many of us, I might even allow for a late entry, but only if you ask, and only if you need it, and only if you'll have something for us to play before Monday.)

Happy New Year.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

now or never I guess, I'm entering this thing.
[game]tim-tim2demo[/game]
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Here it is, Blood Ledger: HOTOHR Edition

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=138935

Thank you so much to the playtesters!
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
Eonhetwo
Red Slime

It's only a smidge late, I swear!

Post by Eonhetwo »

Here's my game;
https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 941#138941

'Gay Savage and the Enigma Rip'

I talked to Zippywings on YouTube and posted the link there yesterday.. I hope Zippywings and PepsiRanger are the same person :/
Just a vessel for dank memes
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I'll likely play all of the games on my Twitch channel for anybody who wants to watch. But if you would prefer I not play your title live online, just say so. I am looking forward to playing everybody's games.

I did wind up playtesting 3-4 of the games on this list, which makes me wonder about the integrity of my own vote when I am biased to various games and not going into them fresh or without developer feedback during.

Pepsi, what are your thoughts on this? I know we don't get a ton of votes, but like, I played False Skies months ago, and while brilliant, it was an earlier build. If I go into playing the game again with Feenick's game possibly being touched up on old content, my opinion of it is already skewed because I won't be playing it for the first time for that fresh first impression. I've played various others as a tester but figured if this has never been brought up before it's at least worth bringing up.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I talked to Zippywings on YouTube and posted the link there yesterday.. I hope Zippywings and PepsiRanger are the same person :/
Yep, Zippywings is my "everywhere else" name. "Pepsi Ranger" was a name I started using here as an alternative, and it kind of stuck, but only around here. I only keep it because that's how everyone here knows me.
Pepsi, what are your thoughts on this? I know we don't get a ton of votes, but like, I played False Skies months ago, and while brilliant, it was an earlier build. If I go into playing the game again with Feenick's game possibly being touched up on old content, my opinion of it is already skewed because I won't be playing it for the first time for that fresh first impression. I've played various others as a tester but figured if this has never been brought up before it's at least worth bringing up.
I always lean toward a preference of fairness. What's the most fair?

For streaming, I'd say do what you want because it's your channel. For voting, I think it would be better to base it off the version released closest to the end of the window, even if you've already formed an earlier impression.

BUT...

You're technically able to vote on any iteration of a game that the developer released during the window. So you could technically vote on any version of False Skies released between May and December, and your vote would be valid. But I think it's fairest to vote on the latest version, especially if it changes elements of the first 30 minutes of the game or adds the requisite new content for a re-released game (if you recall, that's why Batman & Robin didn't do as well as it could have--no one played to the new content).

But yeah, regarding streaming, I'm kinda with you. If I've already streamed a game once, I don't really want to do it again. But if I did it anyway, I'd base the commentary on the game as a Heart of the OHR entry.

I haven't released any streams for Heart of the OHR 2020 as of yet (still not sure if I'm going to), but if I had streamed a Heart of the OHR game at any point during the window, I personally wouldn't do it twice. I'd just play the updated content behind the scenes and base my votes on that. But some YouTubers play the same games over and over and build their audiences on that, so if that's what gets people to come back...

Best adage here is the classic: "Do unto others what you'd have others do unto you."

Anyone else have questions?

I will be posting one playthrough video this week for Xoo: Xeno Xafari, a commercial-only game, for those of you who don't want to buy it (even though it's only $5.99, and currently discounted 30% off during the Steam sale), so those of you who can't buy it can still watch it being played and form an opinion based on the playthrough.

I'll be posting the official list of releases soon (whether right away or in a few days depends on whether my efforts to cut a trailer for it are worth it--and I know you guys would probably like to just have the list, but my YouTube subscriber list is growing, so this is a good opportunity for people outside the community to see your games, so maybe I'll do both if it takes me too long). But there aren't any secret releases here, so you can start playing the games you know have been entered. I've already played close to half.

The official list will be posted soon no matter what. I'm going to spend today seeing how far I can get making this trailer, and if my progress is good, then I'll post the names with the trailer. But if not, I'll just post my working list tomorrow or Wednesday (both as the most recent post and as an amendment to the original post).