Page «  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Liquid Metal Slime

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 2:09 am
Send private message Reply with quote
Quote:
I enjoyed that very much! I am looking forward to more. It paints a vivid picture of both the setting and of Howie's mental state.

Thanks. The first chapter is always the easiest. Then the complications come. Then I forget the theme. Then I have to go back and try to remember why I'm even writing it. Typical first draft problems. :p

I've got 46,000 words so far. Nearing the midpoint.

Quote:
I also like the bike kid. He's weird.

Yeah, he's all right. He may or may not also be instrumental in bringing down the government and the law that drives the conflict in this story, but we'll see. He just needs a friend.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Red Slime

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 11:44 pm
I feel like my target audience would be teenagers and furries. Getting the opinions of furries won't be too hard, but getting the opinions of teenagers might be a little difficult.
Red Slime

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 12:20 pm
By the way, how much would it benefit me to have pictures in my book? Considering my Target demographic, it might benefit me to have pictures, and they could help give you a better idea of what the characters look like. It's true that I'm not going to get every character in one picture, but should I still give a brief description of the character if I show a picture of them?
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 2:08 pm
I think that unless it is a graphic novel that is MOSTLY pictures, you should treat any illustrations as optional, and assume that somebody might read without seeing them

So yes, still include a description, even if you have an illustration
Liquid Metal Slime

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 8:57 pm
I agree with James. The writing should ALWAYS do the job, whether you use pictures or not. Harry Potter does this exceptionally well. It has illustrations, but you don't need them (or the movies) to know what they look like. They help, sure, but they're not required.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Liquid Metal Slime

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 8:58 pm
Mercedes Lackey tends to include an illustration of one or more characters at the start of each chapter. In some books, there's a caption saying who it is. In other books, it's just the picture, and I have literally no idea who's being depicted. I support including captions with your illustrations.
Ps. I love my wife
Red Slime

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:27 am
Most of the books I've read have pretty small illustrations. I've seen some books that have illustrations on a full page, but is there any preference?
Liquid Metal Slime

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 4:07 am
Preference? I think that's entirely up to you and your audience. It sounds like your audience isn't in this thread, so I don't think you'll get an accurate answer with regards to the latter here. The thing to keep in mind is that each individual drawing will increase the budget of your work. If it's not a graphic novel, you'll likely be best off if you act rather conservatively with how illustrations pair with your story. Lest you bite off more than you can chew with something unessential to the existence of the writing itself. Art is supplementary, so don't let it prevent you from finishing the product.
Ps. I love my wife
Page «  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8