Liquid Metal Slime
Android debug keys 
 PostMon Sep 14, 2020 3:16 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Is there a way to view the script debgging tools while running the Android version of the game.exe? I found a bug in the Android version of my game that isn't replicated in the PC version.

I think the bug might be related to me using "run script by ID". The script seems to be hanging on that command until I press the B/esc button. Hard to say without being able to tell what script is running.

EDIT: No. It's related to something different. Maybe the autosave command isn't working. Hm. Still working on it. Regardless, debug keys would be cool.
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:13 pm
I don't know a good generic way to do it, but maybe we could rig up a apk build for you that has a third button mapped to the main debug menu button.

Have a look at "Platform Specific Options" to enable an extra button and set what it does
Liquid Metal Slime

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:21 pm
Bob the Hamster wrote:
I don't know a good generic way to do it, but maybe we could rig up a apk build for you that has a third button mapped to the main debug menu button.

Have a look at "Platform Specific Options" to enable an extra button and set what it does

Good idea. Thank you!
Metal King Slime

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:35 am
It definitely is needed. But I couldn't think of a good way to access it. If it respects the "Enable debug keys" setting it doesn't need to be too hidden. Something like pressing both volume buttons at once.
Super Slime

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 3:58 pm
TMC wrote:
It definitely is needed. But I couldn't think of a good way to access it. If it respects the "Enable debug keys" setting it doesn't need to be too hidden. Something like pressing both volume buttons at once.

That's not possible on all devices.
Mega Tact v1.1
Super Penguin Chef
Wizard Blocks
Metal King Slime

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 4:39 pm
Ack. Suggestions? Ideally shouldn't require the on-screen gamepad, since that isn't always visible.
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 pm
Yeah, volume buttons are sometimes (often?) A rocker that you can't press both at the same time.

Voldown + lock is reserved for screenshot.
Volup + lock seems to mute the ringer on some phones

I don't think there is a good generic option
Super Slime

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 4:59 pm
Perhaps "hold 'volume down' for five seconds"? I can see people doing that on accident, though.
Mega Tact v1.1
Super Penguin Chef
Wizard Blocks
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 1:57 am
Tap out SOS in morse code on any volume button! :D
Slime Knight

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 2:54 pm
Can the OHR recognize gestures? That would probably be the best way to implement it.
Metal King Slime

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 3:36 am
The sdl-android port has code for recognising gestures (hardcoded ones, I think?), but I've never tried it to see how well it works.

If debug keys are disabled it could just bring up a menu of non-debug functions, such as taking a screenshot/gif, and emailing a bug report/save to the dev (long implemented but inaccessible except through scripting).

If it doesn't contain debug features then it's no big deal if the player accidentally enters it, since they can just exit. So it could be a simple, even discoverable, key sequence like volume up-volume down-volume up.
Slime Knight

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 pm
I'd say just make the gesture complicated enough so nobody accidentally enters it, or have the users who are asking for android builds request for the debug gesture to be added. Or both.
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm
I actually have gestures disabled on our Android builds, because the defaults includes some that were crazy easy to do by accident, like "swipe up"