Slime Knight
Hi 
 PostWed Sep 09, 2020 9:41 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Hey y'all. Long time no see. I had some downtime at work today and have been recently thinking about my old OHR days. I'm not doing any RPG making these days but it looks like the OHR has a ton of nifty new features that I might check out (last time I used it was probably somewhere around 2009?). It's great to see a lot of familiar names still hanging around too! I would like to try and pop in here every so often, so looking forward to catching up with everyone.
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 10:22 pm
Welcome back, Aeth! Nice to see you around again!

Give in to the temptation! Make a game! :D
Slime Knight

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 am
Dear Aeth,
you game "Jailbreak" was one of the examples of using the OHR engine for something different than intended. And still it's interesting as a 2D action game. The choice of music did a lot for the tense atmosphere. The difficulty was great, too. Most of all I admire it, when people use the given set of rules, defined by the old engine, and create something completly different with it, that even plays fine! And you definetly did that.
Would it be easier now to make such a game now, 12 years later with the OHR? There are slices now. Still, you didn't need them. Was it difficult to make the mechanics of Jailbreak work?
Super Slime

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 2:08 pm
Oh wow! Welcome back. Feels like there's been a resurgence of old names here recently...
Mega Tact v1.1
Super Penguin Chef
Wizard Blocks
Metal King Slime

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 4:50 pm
Aeth was gone for a decade? This is concerning news. I must be losing either my memory or sense of time! Thanks for coming back and dispelling this aberration.
Slime Knight

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 am
Oh, shit, hey Aeth. been a hot minute. Join the club of people who've been missing for a decade and only recently decided to show back up.

Scyree just recently popped back in too. He's on discord, on and off.
Slime

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:11 pm
Bird wrote:
Dear Aeth,
you game "Jailbreak" was one of the examples of using the OHR engine for something different than intended. And still it's interesting as a 2D action game. The choice of music did a lot for the tense atmosphere. The difficulty was great, too. Most of all I admire it, when people use the given set of rules, defined by the old engine, and create something completly different with it, that even plays fine! And you definetly did that.
Would it be easier now to make such a game now, 12 years later with the OHR? There are slices now. Still, you didn't need them. Was it difficult to make the mechanics of Jailbreak work?

Thanks for the compliment! I can't take all the credit for the game though, Wiz did a lot of it - I think he came up with the concept and he definitely did the graphics and music. I just scripted it basically. I don't know enough about slices yet to know if it would have made it easier, as getting the graphics and images to work was the easy part from what I remember. What would make it better is if it wasn't done in only one week (it was for a contest) and if someone better than scripting than me wrote it (I was a B+ plotscripter at best). I believe I released the script publically in Surlaw's e-zine, and the copy of the game on my HD isn't password protected so the uploaded one probably isn't either, if you want to check it out.
Quote:
Welcome back, Aeth! Nice to see you around again!

Give in to the temptation! Make a game! Grin

Thanks! Maybe I'll do something small scale with some fun battles. Trying to mess with the elementals and spawning and invisible enemies doing weird things in the background (fake battlescripting, I guess) was always fun.
Quote:
Scyree just recently popped back in too. He's on discord, on and off.

Thanks, I'll check out the discord although I am admittedly a discord newbie. Does that mean the old IRC channels are dead?
Metal King Slime

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 2:03 pm
Aethereal wrote:
Thanks! Maybe I'll do something small scale with some fun battles. Trying to mess with the elementals and spawning and invisible enemies doing weird things in the background (fake battlescripting, I guess) was always fun.

Finally, someone willing to state that battlescripting would be no fun! Devil
You can do a lot more with transmogrification (enemy transformation), attack chains and tag checking/setting, and hero counter attacks than you could in 2008... but all too often possible isn't the same thing as reasonable.

Aethereal wrote:
Does that mean the old IRC channels are dead?

Pretty much, but they still exist, and people still idle there. I hardly ever remember to go there anymore, but if you try you can still strike up a conversation there. (YMMY but all my conversations in IRC are about the death of IRC)
Super Slime

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 3:49 pm
TMC wrote:
Aethereal wrote:

But that's not what he
Mega Tact v1.1
Super Penguin Chef
Wizard Blocks
Slime

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm
Mogri wrote:
TMC wrote:
Aethereal wrote:

But that's not what he

Oh, don't get me wrong, battlescripting would be very cool. I used it extensively in other engines that support it a few years ago, but it was fun trying to fake it in the OHR just like developers had fun trying to fake plotscripting before 1999
Slime Knight

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 12:43 am
Woot, welcome back Aeth!
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?