Untitled OHR Point and Click Adventure Game

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

What is the setting / story of the game?

Sci-fi game, traps in a space station with a vllian
33%
Fantasy game, the wrong demon lord was summoned
33%
something else?
33%

Total votes: 9

ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

While we were discussing this project on Discord, Spoon has decided to allow me to direct.

Now, this doesn't mean that I'll insist on my own concept. I see that we have a tie as far as what to work on. Spoon said he favors the thriller sci-fi concept, and it happens to be the most fleshed out, so we're currently leaning that way. I do really like Morph's concept though, so Morph, if you can come up with a rough plan on what happens in the game, please do.

First point I have to put across is that the vote above includes "do something else." The number of people who voted this are in the minority compared to how many voted for other options. So, if you voted "do something else," we would love to see more concept pitches.

Now, of course, this is a casual project. But to facilitate the conversation better, I've opened up a discord channel. https://discord.gg/SQgjac

If you guys will join me there, I think we can make this more fun and a lot smoother. (Lookin' at you KYLE, SPOON, MORPHEUS, and RUE if you're down)

Kyle, why don't you head up the programming. Whatever I contribute, I will adhere to your format.

And I'd like to emphasize that the goal is a game that we can make in roughly the same time period as a contest game. I think that's a good metric!
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

It's true, I did say those things.
I also had not voted in my own poll yet and just did for the sci-fi one, despite thinking the fantasy demon lord one was a neat idea.
The sci-fi one sounded more spooky and I'd like to see more scary ohr games. Not that this has to be a horror game.... (though it should be)

Anyways, glad a lot of this is coming together.
If you want to take part and your name is not on the list let me or Art-man know
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I see no reason to use IRC with a fancy GUI, especially one as unsecure and shady as Discord. If you're going to insist on it, fine, but don't expect me to post much of anything there.
As for my idea, what would happen is roughly this:
Old fallen angel gets summoned, with the angel being roughly one of the originals, but not part of the big rebellion.
The summoning goes wrong, either they intended a different entity or they just screwed things up. The protagonist is thus weakened to about human strength.
For most angels, this isn't a problem, since they'll just get resurrected in heaven or hell, but for our protagonist, this isn't something they want. Neither one will want to talk to them.
So the player has to get out, either via killing the cultists who summoned her, conveniently each in a different room, draining their blood like a vampire, talking, or by just sneaking out.
Multiple endings based on what the player did and all that fun stuff.
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

MorpheusKitami wrote:I see no reason to use IRC with a fancy GUI, especially one as unsecure and shady as Discord
Maybe I'm a little out of the loop here. What makes Discord any less secure than IRC, or more shady than IRC, or other services?
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Rue wrote:
MorpheusKitami wrote:I see no reason to use IRC with a fancy GUI, especially one as unsecure and shady as Discord
Maybe I'm a little out of the loop here. What makes Discord any less secure than IRC, or more shady than IRC, or other services?
I don't really know about how bad IRC is, since I never used it.
Discord goes a long way out to hide it, but buried in the legal agreement is words to the effect that "we won't sell your data, but once we have your data, it becomes our data, and we'll sell that." With no obvious stream of revenue, unless they're doing this out of the goodness of their heart, something funny is going on. There's more shady stuff, but nothing beyond accusation.
As to their safety, well, usual spaghetti code thing. I remember screen-sharing wouldn't end, despite saying it had been ended, but they probably fixed that by now.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

https://github.com/knemeth/ohr-point-n-click

I made a GitHub repo for the project. It doesn't have anything in it at the moment but the readme. If you give me your GitHub username or email, I'll add you as a contributor so you can commit. I'm going to write a code style guide as well as some GitHub rules about branching, pushing, pull requests, etc.

Once I make sure the movement code I wrote earlier is functional, I'll make a the .hss file(s) and push those to the repo.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Kyle and I just got in 3-days-worth-of-(constructive)-forum-conversation on Discord just now. And we were able to hammer out most of the game's features and design methods in no time! There are just some things that forums can't really facilitate. And with how easily things get derailed (and contentious lately, let's face it) on the forums, I think we're better off being in a room together, even voice chatting sometimes!

I feel that trying to do this here would ultimately result in the project fizzling out. Until more people sign up, the thread has kind of done its job. That's just something that... seems obvious. To me.

But I respect your desire to protect yourself. If you'll join us on the discord and do all your sharing on the repo that Kyle opened, I hope that's an arrangement we can come to!
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I wrote up a dummy .hss file for a style guide. It's in the repo now: https://github.com/knemeth/ohr-point-n- ... eguide.hss

If you're planning on writing any code for this and you see something unaddressed in the guide, let me know and I'll add it. Also, if you want to fight about indents or camelCase or anything we can do that.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

MorpheusKitami wrote:With no obvious stream of revenue, unless they're doing this out of the goodness of their heart, something funny is going on.
Discord sells ways to "boost" servers, allowing them to use things like use animated emoji. On a per-user basis, you can buy the ability to use animated avatars or emoji from one server on another.

Of course, there's no reason they can't also sell user data, but they at least have a business model.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Mogri:
I know about that, and their storefront, if they still have that open, but I personally doubt either one makes enough money to support offering basically an unlimited amount of stored text. If I'm not mistaken, no "server" as they put it, has ever suffered a data loss, so clearly they have multiple backups of these "servers" in place. (server is in quotes because I'm sure they're spread across multiple real ones, or many on one)
ArtimusBena wrote:Kyle and I just got in 3-days-worth-of-(constructive)-forum-conversation on Discord just now. And we were able to hammer out most of the game's features and design methods in no time! There are just some things that forums can't really facilitate. And with how easily things get derailed (and contentious lately, let's face it) on the forums, I think we're better off being in a room together, even voice chatting sometimes!

I feel that trying to do this here would ultimately result in the project fizzling out. Until more people sign up, the thread has kind of done its job. That's just something that... seems obvious. To me.

But I respect your desire to protect yourself. If you'll join us on the discord and do all your sharing on the repo that Kyle opened, I hope that's an arrangement we can come to!
I handle forums better, and I'll leave it at that. Was there a consensus as to which idea would be chosen? I can start working on puzzles either way right now, but if one has been chosen, my puzzles will be less generic.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

We're set to work on the thriller spaceship concept, given the votes after spoon put his in. However, we are also designing this as a template .rpg + scripts and instructions. This will be uploaded to SS for other people to use. So there's really no reason we can't make both, honestly.

We're just working on the game's engine right now. Given how quickly that's coming together, it shouldn't take long. In the meantime if you'd like to read over the rough GDD I started today and give us any ideas on what should be included in the features, please do!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/svcpmk3cextsv ... D.doc?dl=0
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Some more context for the characters involved:

The main character is captain of the ship. And yet, he didn't get thrown into the airlock like the rest of his crew. Why? Because he went along with the madman and saved himself. He'll be feeling a lot of shame about this. There'll be a comic-esque cutscene to get this started.

The madman in question is sort of a joker type character, but more of a cold intellectual. You know what his ultimate plan is, but will never know the why. He's the sort of villain who'll do inexplicable things, but say stuff along the way that makes more sense than you'd like.

@Spoon: Not opposed to pushing this a little deeper into horror. Assuming its *basis* is psychological and not just a bunch of blood on the screen.
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?