The Great CONCEPT CONTEST -- RESULTS ARE IN!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

The Great CONCEPT CONTEST -- RESULTS ARE IN!

Post by Spoonweaver »

Hello!

I'm your host Spoonweaver and this is the Concept Contest!
What is the Concept Contest you ask? Well that's a rude question!
The Concept Contest is a contest where you come up with an idea for a game.
A Game Contest where you don't even make a game? That's Crazy!
Quiet you!

A Game Concept is basically what the game is about. What makes this game difference from all the others? What's the gimmick, what's the settings, what's the genre?!
But we're not looking for a 50 page thesis on your game!
A concept should be short. You need to be able to explain your game in a few sentences or less.
And so the rule is that your concept shouldn't be longer than a tweet.
280 characters, which is the current max.
You enter by posting your concept on this thread.

Now, you might have a lot of ideas. That's good!
Enter as many times as you like.

We'll Vote for the winner in a few weeks. August 8th. Vote will last a few weeks, or many just 1 (we'll see...)

I'll send a mystery prize to the winner, assuming they can provide a shipping address.

Also, keep in mind these game concepts belong to the people that post them. Don't be weird and go and start making games based off people's ideas without their permission. That would be rude...

EDIT ::

CONGRATULATIONS TO Nathan Karr's :: Seven Days and Seven Knights!
1st PLACE!
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Having ideas is soooo easy. Making them reality is much harder. If this thought impeeds you in living your dream, slap yourself once and don't think about it anymore. Just do it. Execute!
These two concepts spook around in my bird brain:

D.N.Q.: Piercarlo and the Non-Qualifyiers

A racing game about the art of losing. You are a backmarker in a squad of 41 racers, of which only 26 drivers are qualifying for the race itself. Having one of the worst engines doesn‘t help at all, but this is as unfair as life is. Get on with it! Do your best to become 26th!

[spoiler]I was elected last in sports class. There follow plenty of adventures with it, that don‘t play on the winners side. Depending on your view… maybe finishing 46th of 48 runners in the 1 kilometre course is like a victory? We can‘t be winners all the time, although only the brightest stars get into the spotlight. What‘s with the one‘s who failed? Who didn‘t got recognised for their efforts? Everyone loses sometimes and you have to get your head up after that! Therefore you must know, how to lose.
Piercarlo is in reality the Formula One driver who failed to get to the 26th best most often, although he was talented. He would appear in the game as an experienced team-mate to give useful tips. I probably would be the only one to play a game like that...[/spoiler]

Big Birds Beaks

A game about talking birds rescuing the world from natural catastrophies. The birds come from all over the world, like an oriental vulture, an american eagle, a falcon from europe, a russian owl, a japanese peacock. Unifying their skills, they can win!

[spoiler]That could be an light RPG game themed for kids. The idea of this came from having seen the world‘s birds of prey in a beautiful falconry. Its owner orchestrated the landing of an eagle like the landing of a moon rocket. „Now it‘s down at 100 meters!“ A tiny dot moves at the sky… „Now at 50!“ Incredible, the eagle sticks his feet down while braking in mid-air! It looked so surreal. And then it landed so slowly. Like that was no effort. Beautiful![/spoiler]
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

One I've been picking at on and off for a few years is my Mary Sue CCG. It's a deck builder game where you outfit your "totally OC" character to be the "best" in several categories, including power, edgyness, their mysterious background, and "how much better they are than YOUR OC", which is the most important factor.

There's cards like "one green eye" and "sharingan eye" so you can have multiple colored eyes, "one angel wing" and "one devil wing", "was raised by a pack of wolves", "wielder of the omega weapon", "best friends with Doctor Who", etc.

Like drugs, the winner is really the loser.

Edit: Oh. 280 characters:
A deck builder game where you outfit your "totally OC" character to be the "best" in several categories, including power, edgyness, their mysterious background, and "how much better they are than YOUR OC". "Mary Sue CCG".
Last edited by Rue on Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Less than 280 characters wrote:What's the best part of any RPG? SHOPPING! The entire game takes place inside the Market of the Gods. All quests are for food, fashion and collectables. Everything you equip boosts stats that make you better at shopping. With paper-doll equip menu for trying on your purchases
I'm sure it has been done... probably many times, probably very well... but I haven't played any yet, so it is new to me :D
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I've had an idea for a game steeped heavily in social commentary and making my views on just one, very important subject crystal clear, rather than a mixed bag game of multiple issues.

There is a Dark Lord who has conquered most of the world. People who value freedom live in small, isolated pocket communities hidden on the world map. One by one, the Dark Lord is burning down these villages in the hopes of snuffing out any would-be heroic family that might rise up to challenge him. Every time he finds one, he destroys it with the full force of his high-level army - no sending piddly 1st level grunts and hoping they don't miss a stray orphan; stray orphans are very dangerous to a Dark Lord.

The Church of the old culture has a prophecy, though, that from humble beginnings a hero will be made who can rise up and defeat the Dark Lord, backed by the whole Host of Heaven with the eight levels of sacred power, of which punching ghosts and raising the dead are merely the first level.

So the main gameplay is choosing the parents of your prospective hero; setting him to be any two of half-human, half-elf, half-pixie, half-dragon, half-dwarf, half-gnome, half-ogre, half-hobgoblin, half-talking animal, and so forth. Choosing his appearance, picking out the skillset he'll pick up throughout his life by the time he comes of age, with seeming background skills like cooking having invaluable adventuring applications.

So, choices made you finalize your character, ready to take on the Dark Lord.
[spoiler]You were killed a month before you were born, murdered by your own mother because she "wasn't ready" to have a child and you "weren't planned" anyway. The Dark Lord wins in his uncontested control of the world for another thousand years.[/spoiler]
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I got this idea when you all were planning the point-and-click adventure game last week:

"17th century pirates accidentally sail into a time warp that takes them a hundred years into the future, where they discover the apocalypse has come. They have a choice: Go back to their own time and prevent the apocalypse from happening. Or stay in the ruined world and make a profit looting the survivors."

I may turn this into a book someday, but it's HIGHLY unlikely I'll ever make a game out of it, so if any of you want to take a stab at it, be my guest.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Bob the Hamster wrote:
Less than 280 characters wrote:What's the best part of any RPG? SHOPPING! The entire game takes place inside the Market of the Gods. All quests are for food, fashion and collectables. Everything you equip boosts stats that make you better at shopping. With paper-doll equip menu for trying on your purchases
I'm sure it has been done... probably many times, probably very well... but I haven't played any yet, so it is new to me :D
I'd buy that for a dollar.

Here's my low-concept concept. I'll see if I can come up with something cleverer later, but this is a game I would play.

ActRaiser but RPG: Part God Sim, part RPG. The angel segments incorporate the god powers more heavily than ActRaiser, and the RPG segments are short stages. Like ActRaiser, the two feed into each other.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Spoonweaver: Is this just a trick for us to share our game ideas so you can make games out of the best ones?

Code: Select all

Wife for Life

You are a level 1 weakling. Thankfully, your wife is an awesome 99th level hero! It's too bad she was cursed by an evil wizard to slowly turn into a baby. Join your wife on an epic journey to defeat the wizard. As she gets weaker and levels down, you level up and become a hero too!
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Willy Elektrix wrote:Spoonweaver: Is this just a trick for us to share our
lol
That would be brilliant.

But no, this idea came to me while speak on Discord to, I believe it was Charbile. We were talking about the positive impact of small contests Like Game Jams and how they can helpful to developers as a way to try out new ideas without the need to go into full production with it because of the time crunch. The conversation also covered things like how you can end up with some decent assets from those types of games that you can end up using in full production games. Then the discussion was about what counts as an asset, certainly graphics and music, and maybe some scripts.
And then it turned into contests where you just make one part of a game rather than a whole game. Which leads us to here. The very first part of a game in the first contest I posted under this idea.

There was also a sort of idea I had while posting those community game threads. Everyone seemed to have an idea but how would we choose who would be best to come up with game ideas. Core concepts of games is something that a lot of people think about but not a lot of people think about one person being better at then another. There's good scripters, good artists, good musicians. This contest is to show off the good conceptual developers.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I'd love to play a mall themed rpg. Just throw in some vaporwave aesthetics and it would be a total hit.

Anyways...
You are an evil sorcerer and a party of heroes of legend are trying to kill you. Your party is made up of summoned monsters.
However, the heroes are anarchist d-bags and by foiling their plans the sorcerer ends up frustratingly saving the very world they wanted to destroy.
The game would be light-hearted and funny. For example, comedically playing up the sorcerer getting pouty because they saved a village they planned to destroy.
Working as intended!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I think I know what Spoonweaver is trying to get out of everyone and I think I got it.

Kittens in a box, it's like herding sheep into a pin, but it's kittens into a box. Different levels can be different amounts of cats, add a timer up to make everyone anxious and you got a game.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I think we got all the entries that are going to enter.
I give this until the weekend to see if there's any other entries.

As for my entry.
A Horror RPG where character death is permanent. A group of 4 friends go camping deep in the woods and find they are not alone. Stranded after a mishap with phones and cars, the struggle to survive and escape.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

A contest where you come up with an idea for a game? We ran that once.
Here's a different idea. A game where you come up with an idea for a contest!
Contest concept contest concept wrote:In this game, players write up contest concepts and post them on the forums, competing for competitors. Bribing with contest prizes is encouraged. The goal of the contest concept contest is to game people into making games, and take credit. The player who is the self-appointed judge tallies the number or quality of the games and declares the contest concept contest winning contest concept.
OK, you want it in 280 characters? I can cut down on the jokes:
[spoiler]In the contest concept game, players write up contest concepts and post them on the forums, competing for competitors. The goal is to game people into making games. The self-appointed judge player tallies the number or quality of the games and declares the winning concept.[/spoiler]

You didn't specify videogame! But here's an actual text-based adventure videogame variant: your contest concept is simulated in AI Dungeon, predicting the contestants and games that would be entered, and what kind of debacles occur during voting, after the winners are declared, and when prizes aren't provided. Unlimited scope.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I feel personally attacked :v:
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

TMC wrote: OK, you want it in 280 characters? I can cut down on the jokes:
[spoiler]In the contest concept game, players write up contest concepts and post them on the forums, competing for competitors. The goal is to game people into making games. The self-appointed judge player tallies the number or quality of the games and declares the winning concept.[/spoiler]
wait, so you can offer incentives, but also decide the winner/s?
...are you sure this won't result in a conflict of interests?
sounds like tax evasion with extra steps tbh
"Imagination. Life is your creation."