The Community Project

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

For my money, if there's a community OHR project it's Fenrir who would do the best job.

Frankly, if you think of a director as someone who is just the boss and assigns tasks... not only does that not apply to a community project, it's only true of some of the most one-dimensional projects.
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I was thinking about an OHR House in the style of Monty Python, disjointed skits and art all over the place, like Terry Gilliam's animations
It would probably be made of multiple RPG files threaded together.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Love the passion Arti and Sword, but the back and forth is a little crazy.

As far as the discussion about which roles do what, as with most jobs the title of the role doesn't not universally reflect the job's responsibilities. Defining individual roles with what they would specifically do is likely a better practice.
As for the director being a choice position, I completely disagree. What I see the "director" doing is basically keeping things on track. They wouldn't even contributing to the overall game itself, and wouldn't be defining their vision. They would be the person collecting work from several people and compiling it together, and telling people what we might be waiting on. Say the scripting in a part is don't but we need a few extra sprites to complete an animation. The director, or whatever we want to call it, would be in charge of getting in touch with the artist and telling them about the need for more sprites and what they would be for.
I envision a lot of moving parts, with a TON of active people making a game over the course of a long period of time, without really stressing about it. It should be fun.

It seems like you're a bit off base with my plan.
I don't think we should all put our heads together and think up an idea for a game. That doesn't work.
I think we should come together and pick a person that thinks they can fulfill the roles we need and then let them fill those roles. One fo the roles would be to come up with the type of game. So, Bob has suggested a point&click adventure and Swordplay is saying OHR house.
If you're suggesting ohr house for the story element of the point click, then you are signing up for the writting role.

Also
I like how you suggested fenrir for the project. I think we need more of that.
So here where things may get messy, but could help people out, who knows.
Let's suggest people for different roles, with a focus on people that have posted in this thread and shown interest!
Maybe that's a can of worms though.

Another thing we can do is try out for the roles. We generally know a lot about each other's abilities, but even then we may want to be reminded.
Let's be thinking that over and in a few days, if we all agree, I'll start a voting period for each role.

Again, No rush!
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I don't think another OHR House is going to work, its a relic of '00s forum humor, let it remain a relic.

Realistically, for the director role, you want someone who has shown some ability there, so either Bob, you, or Willy Elektrix, assuming he would be interested.
Assuming a point and click, the primary thing needed is someone to program the point 'n' click part in. After that, I'm sure anyone can copy/paste the tasks for each individual hotspot/sprite as needed. After the big thing is puzzle designing and backgrounds. I have a good deal of experience in the former, what works and what doesn't. I'm not sure if there's anyone else around here with that knowledge.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

There's already an Arti in the community (plus I hate being called that - just "Bena" or "Art" is good if you want a shorter name)

I think a long term project right out of the gate is probably too much to start with. My counter proposal is to utilize an existing short-form medium that has had a consistent amount of participation over the years:

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8064

If we can work our 'collaboration muscles' better -- on the small-scale -- then we might be able to pull off a community project.
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'd love to write for a game I didn't have to develop if the tone was something I was into. Something like River City Ransom built using your brawler engine would be awesome to work on.

I'd also never want to take on a director role again.
MorpheusKitami wrote:I don't think another OHR House is going to work, its a relic of '00s forum humor, let it remain a relic.
Also strongly agree with this
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I like Bob's idea of a short-story point and click. It's a constraint and a scope, which is more important than a specific idea, in my opinion. I like it, because it gives programmers an idea of what they'll be scripting, it gives writers a diving board to leap from, etc.

As for roles, I have experience as a lead designer/producer on a project with a good-sized team (~13 people), but I'd prefer not to fill that role again. Just mentioning that to say I'm good with task sheets and managing team members, in the way Spoon described. I can help out with it, but I'd rather not lead that chariot.

I've become fairly intimate with hspeak, so I can program. My resume includes Pixel-Walker, Return, a Point-And-Click Adventure, and the recent Katja's Abyss: Tactics.

I've composed for multiple titles, but I'm also available as a sound designer or to do some mixing/mastering side of things. For example, if Bena composed some tracks and Foxley made some sfx, I could make sure everything's normalized, compressed into correlating filetypes, etc. My resume for composition/sound design includes Lumin, Bookend, and Hidden Harmony.

EDIT: Oh, and as long as we're recommending others, I'll second Wobbler as a writer.
Last edited by kylekrack on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

People are really burned by OHR House, huh?

Here's where I'd usually make an impassioned stand, lay out some arguments or some slime like that.
Maybe a funny poll or something.

But honestly I'm not in the mood to explain to you the benefits of OHR House for the OHR. I have Jojo and Dark Souls to catch up on. And I'm sure everyone has more important ideas that they want to see realised. Who cares about OHR House?
If members of the OHR don't want to live in an OHR House of their own making, that's fine by me.
I was just thinking it would be a nice thing for the community, newcomers etc., to see what we're about, and having a little fun at our own expense and expand the mythos/lore of our existence. But really, who wants that?
I ain't gonna press it though, in fact, I think this is the point where I leave you guys to it.
Not on the same wavelength? I don't know how that would work in a team.
I feel I would get in your way, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

If you guys wanna work on a project, it should make you happy. And you should work with people you love for reasons you love.
There's no shortage of great coders, artists, designers etc., the true OHR House, perhaps. I do not doubt the riches of talent that lie within our humble community.

We just gotta belieb

Although if I were being absolutely critical, I think a script-driven format would be difficult for people to get in to, whereas an OHR House cobbled together out of other people's ideas/RPG files would be simple enough, and could also incorporate other gameplay elements/scripts. And anyone could join in! We could have small groups working on discrete parts of it, and those parts could be ANYTHING you can imagine, not just some outdated 00's humour, although if you think that's my style, uh... probably better if I don't say anything.

Wait, did I start proselytising for OHR House? Whoops. Sorry!
Guess I cared more than I let on. Haha
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I think a script-driven format would be difficult for people to get in to, whereas an OHR House cobbled together out of other people's ideas/RPG files would be simple enough
You're not the only one that has missed the entire point.
If you're working with a scripter and you're not good at scripting, then leave it to the scripter.
There is no reason at all that a complete new comer to the ohr can't work on a brawler ohr game, or a point and click adventure.
That's the whole point of working as a team
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Don't make a new OHR House. Make something you will respect yourself for making in 15 years. That's my advice.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

JSH357 wrote:Don't make a new OHR House. Make something you will respect yourself for making in 15 years. That's my advice.
Solid advice! :D

And good to see you, JSH357! It feels like it has been a while!
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

[REDACTED]

Whatever, I said my bit.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:02 am, edited 7 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Ok
Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

hey sword i love you
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)
charbile
Metal Slime