The Furries (and other origins)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bird
Slime Knight

The Furries (and other origins)

Post by Bird »

Where do all the furries here come from? Looking at old Castle Paradox posts, they were there right from the beginning of that in 2003.

Do you have a list of furry games you remember?

Fenrir's games (Vikings of Midgard, Puppy Adventure)
Mewmew's Eternity
Sneak Feast (with fat panther)
No Eat (with vore)
Hati's Bizarre Adventure (with maids)
A lot of games by MirceaKitsune
You Need a Hero (played in high-school)
Fennecs (the serious one)

These are quite a lot, aren't they? Why are there so many?

I never saw a single reference of the furry culture in the outside world. Animation films from the television don't count, as they aren't as serious. Is this the discovery of a parallel universe? That's why I'm curious.
Last edited by Bird on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

Wasn't always like this in the OHR community, but to be honest, it was _almost_ always like this.

I think I started noticing the furries taking over when CastleParadox was the main site. Wasn't really a thing (or, atleast, it wasn't in my vision) during the Zantetsuken era.

I don't like furry artwork, the 'kink' side of it, or most of that culture, safe for work side, or nsfw side. But as long as that's not 100% what defines someone, there's no problem with it, just like any subculture or interest. In my opinion, atleast. Didn't always feel this way. Used to be anti-furry, 100% of the way. But, eh. you grow.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The Erinyes, also known as the Furies, were female chthonic deities of vengeance in ancient Greek religion and mythology. A formulaic oath in the Iliad invokes them as "the Erinyes, that under earth take vengeance on men, whosoever hath sworn a false oath". Walter Burkert suggests they are "an embodiment of the act of self-cursing contained in the oath". They correspond to the Dirae in Roman mythology. The Roman writer Maurus Servius Honoratus wrote (ca. 600 AD) that they are called "Eumenides" in hell, "Furiae" on earth, and "Dirae" in heaven.

According to Hesiod's Theogony, when the Titan Cronus castrated his father, Uranus, and threw his genitalia into the sea, the Erinyes (along with the Giants and the Meliae) emerged from the drops of blood which fell on the earth (Gaia), while Aphrodite was born from the crests of sea foam. According to variant accounts, they emerged from an even more primordial level—from Nyx ("Night"), or from a union between air and mother earth. Their number is usually left indeterminate. Virgil, probably working from an Alexandrian source, recognized three: Alecto or Alekto ("endless"), Megaera ("jealous rage"), and Tisiphone or Tilphousia ("vengeful destruction"), all of whom appear in the Aeneid. Dante Alighieri followed Virgil in depicting the same three-character triptych of Erinyes; in Canto IX of the Inferno they confront the poets at the gates of the city of Dis. Whilst the Erinyes were usually described as three maiden goddesses, the Erinys Telphousia was usually a by-name for the wrathful goddess Demeter, who was worshipped under the title of Erinys in the Arkadian town of Thelpousa.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I do like that this is a welcoming community. It hasn't always been, and we always have room to grow, but yes, I am glad this is a welcoming place for people at various places on the furry spectrum (also the fury spectrum)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I was jokingly asking this exact thing the other day, weird.

Anyways, it's really not that surprising to me at all.
We DO have a talking hamster as a mascot.
The included game with the ohr IS Vikings, by Fenrir
Fenrir and a few others ARE pretty popular and likely attract users to the community

I think the real question is, where did ANY of us come from?
Let's turn this thread from a furry witch hunt to an origin story thread

Bird, as the author of the thread, you share first.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I dunno if I'd call fennecs terribly serious.
Working as intended!
Arti
Red Slime

Post by Arti »

I don't know Bird, I guess maybe it's because of how nice the community is.
Arti
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

In my case, I just always really liked talking animals as a kid. I got into the OHR because I wanted a free RPG making program (not pirated RPGMaker 98 or whatever) so I wouldn't have to rely on lucky coincidences of being allowed to spend like an hour or so a month using my cousin's copy of RPG Maker on PS1 to make games in the new, exciting genre of games I'd only discovered a couple years prior.

I went back and forth a lot on whether my character Wolf should look basically human (his earliest OHRRPGCE sprite was just a less technically skilled version of Eric from A Quest with a sword instead of an axe) or be a literal bipedal talking wolf.

I discovered the furry fandom through the OHRRPGCE community - Fenrir's open and mildly sexual furry games disgusted and offended me as a conservative Christian teenager, and between probably-autism and a sheltered life I wasn't very good at voicing my opinions on anything without being neednessly antagonistic.

There are a couple of people here with quite a significant profile whose games include what could be described as furry content with zero hesitation or irony (James and Surlaw in particular), but as they choose not to identify themselves or their games as such, they don't qualify as furry. [spoiler]Great shitpost about the furies there, Surlaw, it really made my morning.[/spoiler] For a time, I tried being this: Someone who makes a lot of art of anthropomorphic animal characters but doesn't consider himself a furry or his art to be furry art.

After a few years looking deeper into the furry fandom, I became disgusted with myself and my kinks. Maces Wild was made from a place of self-loathing and poor self-esteem; my intent was to write Ken as a character with a drinking problem and always thinking with his lesser head, but with a strong sense of justice immediately beneath that compelling him to fight crime. What came across was a lot milder: an extremely well-meaning cop caught in a bad town who happens to flirt with attractive ladies but never goes anywhere.

No Eat, then, I made once I'd really accepted deep down that my kinks are part of my personality and even if I don't like the general lack of genuine love and romance, of commitment and faithfulness, and the emphasis on hedonistic self-serving pleasure in the furry fandom, I couldn't exactly consider myself not to be part of it anymore. The furry fandom is only one order of magnitude amplified from modern mainstream culture as a whole here anyway, I'd guesstimate; the current state of furry communities is generally a decent preview of what will be considered permissible in the mainstream in about a decade from my observations.

I really just can't help that I aesthetically prefer characters who are either very abstract (Lego minifigures, oldschool videogame sprites, classic toons) or who resemble animals I like more than they do humans, and sometimes are both at once. There's a lot of potential for choosing a character's outward appearance to reflect his personality or to imply its opposite - is the bear a gruff, brooding loner or a jovial and cuddly teddy bear? Is the wolf a proud and focused hunter or a timid sheep of a man? Is the lion every bit the confident king you'd expect from his appearance or just a timid pussycat with impressive hair?

Recently I've been taking a braver stance to say what I believe, stand up for the things I actually find important instead of just staying silent to avoid conflict and enjoy my NSFW content without interference. I'm likely to get banned from various websites for my refusal to promote mentally, physically, and spiritually harmful practices but it's a worthwhile sacrifice to risk.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Idontknow wrote:I dunno if I'd call fennecs terribly serious.
The Fennecs had proper jobs. That's a very serious thing to have.

This is no hunt. This is a dialogue. Any furys are welcome to join it, too!

My origins with the OHR are in 2011. There was a program called "OHRDOS" on a website with DOS tools. Make your own game, it said. And so a dream came true!

The origin of this thread is "Hakei". It showed, how many animals were actually used as user icons here. That was were the question of the many human dogs came up in my mind.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Bird, i...
have terrible news for you
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I myself am definitely pretty far leaning on the fury spectrum. Thankfully I learned to contain my rage using game development as my outlet.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I was not aware of Hakei, and Tim-Tim is in it with a little spoon next to him!
Thank you Bird!
I really missed a lot while I was gone.

Glad we're getting to the bottom of the furry mystery with no drama!
Since bird shared how he found the OHR, guess I'll go.

I found the OHR back in middle school.
I had been designing video games long before that, by drawing them out and writing down details.
The OHR was not the first game creating engine I found or used.
However, I was and am a HUGE fan of final fantasy 6. As well as most of the other RPGS of that era, chrono trigger, phantasy star, shining force, breath of fire. And this engine made games that were a little like that.
Not just that though. I also grew up with really low grade computers. I was using DOS instead of windows for a good chunk of time, so i like the familiar DOS vibe the OHR has. It also runs really well on even the worst computers I've had.
At one point I lost my computer due to family crap. Lost all my ohr games that I had never uploaded and sort of lost interest in making games for a little while. When I was in high school, there was a school project where we had to make a model of a cell that was also a city. We could make it any way we choose and lots of wild ideas were shouted out that included making it with a computer.
I made this in the OHR and turned it in for an A+
I made a few other games around this time, including one that was modeled to exactly resemble my school where you could fight the teachers. This was around the time of columbine. Anyways, when I should it to people it wasn't taken well and all my games were erased for a second time.
In college, I started back up again when I wasn't playing magic the gathering, dungeons and dragons or smoking large amounts of pot. That's when I first started posting games online.

hmm, maybe I shared too much
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I uh.. I have difficulties in drawing human faces. Feet too. That's probably where it started.

So if you want to blame the rise of furries in the OHR community on me that's fine, but you'll also have to accept that ultimately it's because I couldn't draw feet.

EDIT: For future reference on what is, and what is not a furry, please refer to the chart.

Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

Furries have been a major part of the internet since the 80s. OHR had a huge furry contigent even back in the RPG Online days, in that most games output were anthro instead of regular human characters. (as it is, jade is the only anthro game i've put out or worked on; the rest of my jobs/stuff has all been regular human characters)

Although I'm not a furry myself despite my screenname, I think a lot of us watched a lot of Disney animation, and it seemed like late 80s/early 90s was dominated by anthro based animation (almost all of Disney's output ie Rescuers, Lion King et, other stuff like All Dogs Go To Heaven, TMNT, etc), so it makes sense that a lot of us would probably be interested in making or playing anthro based content.

It should also be noted that the furry community is generally more supportive of furry content both motivationally and financially. I have a few friends that are really good at art, and they've all noted that furry commisions pays their rent the most consistently over other genres, and that's not due to a notably better volume of commissions, but the fact that they just consistently pay more and/or pay reliably over other fandom commissions (anime/manga, etc). I mean for the subcommunity of suit wearers? Those things can reach thousands of dollars in cost. It's a very creative-arts centric community in the first place.

I will admit I thought furries were weird at first back in the 90s, but honestly it didn't take me long to 'get' the fandom and a lot of my friends are furries. I also think it's hilarious that male and female furries have specific stereotypes associated with them (like how female furries tend to talk about butts a lot and have a tsundere personality, seriously all my female furry friends are nonstop snark please help).
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

FyreWulff wrote: It should also be noted that the furry community is generally more supportive of furry content both motivationally and financially. I have a few friends that are really good at art, and they've all noted that furry commisions pays their rent the most consistently over other genres, and that's not due to a notably better volume of commissions, but the fact that they just consistently pay more and/or pay reliably over other fandom commissions (anime/manga, etc).
This is absolutely 100% the truth.
FyreWulff wrote: (female furries tend to talk about butts a lot and have a tsundere personality, seriously all my female furry friends are nonstop snark please help).
Sounds like you're friends with Mi'La. I sense an opportunity for a sitcom.