Victory dance logic

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Andrusi
Slime

Victory dance logic

Post by Andrusi »

Today I was doing some testing and I noticed some quirks when the heroes win a battle. Normally the post-battle victory dance consists of alternating between the Standing and Attack A poses in a way that looks ridiculous with nearly all of my heroes. Occasionally, though, one of them will instead alternate between Standing and Stepping, effectively running in place (or in one hero's case, hopping). The "running in place" animation also seems to run much faster than the "not quite attacking" animation, with the effect that it somehow looks even more ridiculous. Is this an intentional feature, and if so, what makes it happen [s]and when are we getting customizable victory animations so I don't have to ask about things like this[/s]?
Sanity still not included after like 20 years. When will the manufacturers of Andrusi get with the times?
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

I've definitely seen this happen -- and it seems like it happens when a hero is about to attack (or just finished attacking) right at the moment the battle ended. Basically looks like they get "caught" stepping forward or back from a strike, cast, etc. animation and end up rapidly repeating the walk animation instead of the usual victory-dance animation.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
TMC
Metal King Slime

Re: Victory dance logic

Post by TMC »

Welcome! Thanks for the report. I had a look at the code and can see the problem, and fixed it. If a hero is in the walking state when the battle ends two bits of code both try to toggle the hero frame on alternating frames, causing a double-speed stand-step toggle. An interesting bug.
Andrusi wrote:[s]and when are we getting customizable victory animations so I don't have to ask about things like this[/s]?
It's on my todo list for the next version!

(Just beware that it's been on my todo list for "the next version" for 3 years. But I think it could actually happen this time!)
Last edited by TMC on Wed May 20, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

TMC wrote:(Just beware that it's been on my todo list for "the next version" for 3 years. But I think it could actually happen this time!)

If the "next version" was Fufluns, then all of your assurances balance out. ;)

Custom victory animations sounds nice, though. Give your heroes a proper fist bump, not just a "I'm gonna kick you while you're down" move. That would up the presentation a bit.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Andrusi
Slime

Re: Victory dance logic

Post by Andrusi »

TMC wrote:Welcome! Thanks for the report. I had a look at the code and can see the problem, and fixed it. If a hero is in the walking state when the battle ends two bits of code both try to toggle the hero frame on alternating frames, causing a double-speed stand-step toggle. An interesting bug.
Huh! That is interesting. Honestly I half expected it to be a broken intentional behavior, like there was supposed to be a different animation for whoever got the final blow or something.
Andrusi wrote:[s]and when are we getting customizable victory animations so I don't have to ask about things like this[/s]?
It's on my todo list for the next version!

(Just beware that it's been on my todo list for "the next version" for 3 years. But I think it could actually happen this time!)
I'm optimistic! See, now the hopes and dreams (well, one (1) hope and dream) of some random Internet person are at stake so you have to get it in there. :D
Sanity still not included after like 20 years. When will the manufacturers of Andrusi get with the times?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, I make promises because then I feel obliged to follow through. ...It also means I break a lot of my promises...

Edit, also:
Pepsi Ranger wrote:If the "next version" was Fufluns, then all of your assurances balance out. ;)
Haha! You have me there.
Last edited by TMC on Thu May 21, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.