Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I think it is okay. People sell games inspired by other games all the time.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Yeah it's a close mechanical inspiration but the content is all original. There are games on Steam that just outright use resources from other games with no credit.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

And now, an ending. The Burpin' Bros mini game is finished! Time to get back to the main RPG.
Attachments
At about this many bubbles on screen, there starts to be some minor slowdown. Also, I got stuck in that side area! This will be fixed before release.
At about this many bubbles on screen, there starts to be some minor slowdown. Also, I got stuck in that side area! This will be fixed before release.
BurpinBros0010.png (9.5 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
My high score
My high score
BurpinBros0012.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
The End
The End
END.PNG (7.08 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun May 03, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Messing with Gorgonzola features
Attachments
Starting to add some transparency effects to make this area foggy
Starting to add some transparency effects to make this area foggy
walthrosrenewal0020.gif (2.54 MiB) Viewed 6171 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Always great stuff posted here!

I went back and replayed Don't Eat Soap. Are there any new enemy movements/types in Burpin' Bros?
I remember that Eat Soap used to slow down a lot with about 20-30 bubbles on-screen, but the engine has gotten faster.

The fog looks nice. Is that two map layers or one?
It looks like there are some seams between tiles in places. Unfortunately that's because of the dithering: each tile is drawn and difthered independently. (Disabling dithering would prevent it.) I hardly ever saw it happening in my testing, so I stopped worrying about. I expect the next version will have an option to switch to 32-bit color, which will fix that problem.
Last edited by TMC on Mon May 04, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

No new enemy types or movements here, the level layouts are all new but enemies/powerups are reskins.

Thanks! That's two layers of fog and I'm going to see how three looks later on in thicker areas. Having lots of fun testing this feature!
Attachments
Lighting test
Lighting test
Lighting.gif (24.31 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

The fog is looking great with 2 layers. Really adds dimension to it and fits with the scene. Those glowing light things are cool as well. I've been thinking a lot about using transparency for a similar effect. I was wondering how far you could take it without getting too complicated to be worth it.

Animating the transparent sprite really helps it look like lighting, I feel. Other than that, the biggest issue is the shape of the light. When it's circular, it doesn't accommodate the 3D geometry of the area. Sure, it doesn't need to look super realistic to look good, but I've found it tough to make it mesh with the scene, rather than looking like an obvious overlay. I think you've done a great job making it mesh well!
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Yeah, the lighting and transparency effects really add to the scene. Makes it clear just how badly the engine needed it.

It does make me wonder how well it meshes with 256 color depth. Did you find it difficult to make it work in an aesthetically pleasing way? Do you find that it's easy to cut out fake lighting that we pixelate through tile art? Are you able to shape the lighting effect to stick to just the source (like the circular glow over the candle)?

This also makes me wonder if it's time to refresh our memory on how to create effective lighting by color. For example, the kind of light that bounces off of water would cast a bluish glow onto a target. Stuff like that.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I definitely want to work on some shaped lighting once I get a hang of it, just using circular of different sizes/dithering density now.

I'm adding one more playable hero to Walthros: Renewal. What kind of animal hero would you like her to be? We've already got plenty of fish, dinosaurs, and walruses.
Attachments
Roland - This guy's gone through a few redesigns, here's his current look. He has the unique property of being able to equip any type of armor or accessory!
Roland - This guy's gone through a few redesigns, here's his current look. He has the unique property of being able to equip any type of armor or accessory!
Roland.PNG (8.18 KiB) Viewed 6094 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu May 07, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Seahorse!

Also, I really like Roland's design
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu May 07, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

arthropod
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

A rabbit.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Kangaroo.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

All good ideas! But the winner is Endless Mode LP on Twitter for suggesting a capybara for the next hero. Here's a first draft of Marella. She's a hero who uses different skills depending on who's in the party.
Attachments
Marella.PNG
Marella.PNG (2.24 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

A worthy victor.

That's a good design, too. Love the nose.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife