Ridiculous Games Contest 2020 - The 1998 one

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Arti
Red Slime

Post by Arti »

Okay, sounds like a good idea to me. I will try to make dosbox work and if not I will only use the current version. I will try to have something ready for that date and publish it :kamina:
Arti
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

MIDI2BAM is a piece of art. Makes music visible as multicoloured space laser beams! Let's be honest, some input MIDI tracks really sound bad... but on others, the actual sound changes! Very few sound better as a BAM track.

Thank you, James, for making MIDI2BAM available. When I discovered it as a pupil, I must have spend a dozen hours to check every MIDI on my hard drive, how it sounds as BAM, excitingly watching the notes to build up, pass by and listen to their sound.

Considering this event, it was fun to use it again. Although, isn't it time for an update? The save function is not user-friendly... think of the kids of the future! They won't be able to produce their own BAMs, because they don't know how to read a manual!
Attachments
MIDI2BAM Screen Photo
MIDI2BAM Screen Photo
BAMSCRN.gif (126.41 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
Last edited by Bird on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Turns out the 1999 version of the OHR doesn't have the old level-up bug in it, so I upgraded to the earliest downloadable version that does have that bitset [the mid-2001 version]. Is this cheating somewhat? Sure, but I'm still planning on keeping to 1998-2000 restrictions as much as I can [plus it's still DOS, so that part of things is still there].

In any case, the first dungeon can be played through now [...minus most of the treasure chests and NPCs], and the next few are either completely mapped out or most of the way there. I keep on forgetting how quickly you can walk through smaller maps...
Attachments
UNIONT13.png
UNIONT13.png (19.84 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

[game]Puppy Adventure[/game] is complete - or at least as complete as it's going to get! As has been stated before, there's a few anachronisms left in that weren't possible back in 1998, but are being retained for gameplay/aesthetics purposes.

Now with 200% more ROO things!
Attachments
PUPPY ADVENTURE!
PUPPY ADVENTURE!
PUNKD.png (61.29 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prifurin
Red Slime

Post by Prifurin »

Humbly submitting Hakei.
Attachments
Also with OHR music flavour
Also with OHR music flavour
Hakei1.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
Last edited by Prifurin on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Hakei: What a missed opportunity to teach us morse code.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

What a horrible night for a horrible game
Attachments
ultimatefantasy backdrop5.png
ultimatefantasy backdrop5.png (8.39 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Working as intended!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

And as usual I come in with a serious effort.

Union Tour

e: there's a version that doesn't run on DOS in there as well. Had to change up some things to make battles not unreasonably fast so the balancing may be off, but that's fine right
Attachments
title.png
title.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
Last edited by Feenicks on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Today's the last day to get your games in. Is it done? Great! Did you not get it finished in time? It's on-brand for a game from 2000 to be unfinished, so that's fine too.

I'll be closing submissions when I get up tomorrow, so technically you'll have until the morning of April 1st [EST at least] to get things in. Good luck!
Arti
Red Slime

Post by Arti »

I guess I have to mention my game here: P
His name is E-D

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=136663
Last edited by Arti on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arti
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

And that's time!

Here are your entrants:

[game]Reversal[/game] by kylekrack
[game]Puppy Adventure[/game] by Fenrir-Lunaris
[game]Crazy Computer Competition[/game] by Bird
[game]E-D[/game] by Arti
[game]Hakei[/game] by Prifurin
[game]Bok's Expedition[/game] by FnrrfYgmSchnish
[game]Union Tour[/game] by Feenicks
[game]A Quest[/game] by Nathan Karr
[game]Ultimate Fantasy I: The Secret Orb of the Power (DEMO)[/game] by Idontknow

I mentioned this earlier, but voting will be done in two categories:

1. Rank the games by overall quality.

2. Rank the games by how much they feel like a game from 1998-2002.

Put your votes either in here or in a PM to me. I'll be abstaining from voting myself, [s]seeing how I'd personally disqualify everything here for not including CHUFFY.BAM[/s], but what's important is that *you* get your votes in.

[e: you don't have to vote for your own game, but in that case I'll be shoving it into the middle of the pack. Fair warning.]

As I feel a lot of you will have ample time given current events, voting will close in 2 weeks [so on 4/15/20]. Have fun!
Last edited by Feenicks on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm going to pretend that I thought that April 1st was the contest start date rather than the end date... because that's when I started. Was thinking of making it a 48 hour game, but I kind of forgot how utterly short and incomplete 48 hour games are even if you actually put in the hours, which I'm not. One day in it's looking quite a way off (98 hours?) but I'm having fun creating a battle-free dialog-heavy investigation RPG.

Anyway, I'm surprised and pleased with this contest turnout. Some great looking games!
Last edited by TMC on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Well now, the games that tried to be as crappy and unplayable as most 1998 demos definitely succeeded on that front. Some of them managed to accomplish this while also actually sticking to the combat engine and presentation limitations; I must say though I'm more impressed by the games that actually tried to have good gameplay without wussing out and including status moves, making an effort to achieve balance while juggling only healing and direct damage without the options of sleep/poison/regen or stat buffs.

So far, the game I'm going to rank the absolute highest in the spirit of 98 is going to get a very low rank in game quality and vise-versa, but neither of these two is the worst in said opposite capacity. I only have one more game to play before I'm ready to make the lists. Some games rank very low in both categories.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!