Page «  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Metal King Slime

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 1:38 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Awesome. Was keen to hear how it went. Still feels crazy to see an OHRRPGCE game presented that professionally. Hope it was fun, not just hectic.

Also, I love the backdrop and sprites in that first screenshot you posted.

Well, Thanksgiving is not that far away! How long have you been working on the game now?
Liquid Metal Slime

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 4:54 pm
Yeah, I have a spreadsheet for specifically all the tasks for Soda to do at the pace we work, and it's a solid 7ish months more for him, probably another 1-2 weeks extra to be safe. I ideally want to be done long before Thanksgiving and just be doing quality control for over a month to really find everything.

We pitched the idea to the older brother in April 2017. For some reason I kept thinking we had done a full extra year of work, but it's still less than three years of production (narrowly). MTA was about 4. Surfasaurus was a hectic 1.

After this week I'll share something I did this past weekend when Soda gets me the final art for that scene, but it's a really cute scene where the Best Fairy Ever finds Axe Cop and joins the team as a summon ability. I wanted to make her a whole new character but the further and further into production, the less either of us want another character, so the compromise seems to be to still include her, but make her a summoned attack instead. I think comic fans will be happy to see her even if it's not a giant capacity.

I feel like in RPGs, it's super easy to overcrowd the playable character roster where people don't contribute enough to the plot besides just basic conversation. The game is Axe Cop's so it's okay that it does that more than in other games, but I still don't want to add another character in that has to be serviced narratively to just be cut off when their plot is done. This is the largest roster of dudes I've had in a game, about nine, and I'm probably not doing it perfect but I at least want the full team to feel valued as teammates to Axe Cop.
Check out Red Triangle Games!
Metal King Slime

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 11:41 pm
Hmm, not very much leeway in the timetable!

Too many characters in an RPG is a pet peeve of mine, so it's good to hear you're keeping that in consideration. Honestly I have such a bad memory sometimes that I actually forget who my player characters are in a long RPG with a lot of characters! Especially if they were developed a bit many hours ago and then stopped talking. Feels like the source material and silly dialogue does make it harder to flesh out characters too, but... it's like you don't actually need to flesh out a character who doesn't even have a consistent form or name or personality anyway, and the goal is actually something else, maybe just being an actor in skits ... hmmm
Liquid Metal Slime

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Surlaw kept sharing his enemy logs with me and I thought... there's a ton of enemies in Axe Cop, why don't I have one of these? I didn't want to repeat what he did by any means, and I think his is great for world building, mine is moreso for learning about how to take down enemies. I think since Axe Cop is a game that can appeal to RPG gamers and non-RPG gamers, it's important that it be as accessible as possible, which is why you can't die in the game, but just go back to the last place you saved.

I haven't implemented it yet, but essentially, anytime you lose against a boss the enemy log will be updated with the boss information to hopefully make the second fight a little easier for the non-RPG crowd. Also at one point Axe Cop gets a cell phone and it was only used for the hub area to call Axe Cop for alerts on story missions. But fleshing it out with the ability to check bios, check move growth and now the enemy log will be great once I get that sorted out.
Check out Red Triangle Games!
Liquid Metal Slime

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:13 pm
More games really should try to make enemy profiles more accessible. Everything about this is great.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:22 pm
That is beautiful!
Page «  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11