Gorgonzola stable release planning thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

How about tweaking it slightly to be a little more idiosyncratic than just the name of a very common type of blue cheese? I'm thinking "gorgonzolum" or something like that
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I like the gorgonzola name idea!
I read wikipedia on it, to find another cheese-like name, but only learnt it's also a town in italy where the cheese was made (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgonzola,_Milan).

We could add something to it? Like maybe ... uhm ... gorgonzola giant? gorgonzola giraffe? gorgonzola grizzly?
I'd go for gorgonzola giraffe, even thoug it's two words. ^-^°
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

12 weeks instead of 3 months? That's shifting the goalposts! :gonk:
But they are good goalposts nonetheless, which I hope to actually reach this time.

My primary goal for the next release is to finish off many of the major features that we've started on, especially graphics-related ones that were planned for fufluns. That includes the animation system (at least an initial version, not necessarily "done"), 256 colour sprites, (grainy 8-bit) transparency, rotation, scaling, sprite effects, stencils, other new slice features (layout and template slices), and a start on font improvements. (If this sounds ambitious, most of these are already very close to done). But I think 24-bit colour mode is likely to slip until later.

The other thing I want to do is implement all of the HotOHR 2018 feature requests! They are ...not quite as overdue as fufluns.

~~~

I like a lot of of those suggested names.
But, aren't release names meant to be obscure words, not ones we invented ourselves? (We did kind of stretch that with "etheldreme" which was an obscure variant spelling of an obscure and obsolete word which I think actually only had a single attestation - back then, spellings weren't standardised anyway).
If you look at a map there are so many interesting place names in Italy. Not enough of a cheese connoisseur to have heard of Gorgonzola.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I went with weeks instead of months because I'll almost certainly need to do the release on a weekend.

Those goals sound great :D

"Gorgonzola" sounds great to me. It doesn't feel obscure to me, but after consideration, I think that was because when I was a teen I really loved the Monty Python's Flying Circus DOS game. It used cheese identification as a copy protection scheme, which caused me to memorize the names of a lot of obscure cheeses.

I don't think I have actually ever eaten a gorgonzola
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Gorgonzola is just blue cheese. If you've eaten blue cheese, it was probably gorgonzola. I wouldn't consider it obscure at all.

But it is a good name. I was going to have a medusa head monster in the cow dungeon in Super Penguin Chef named Gorgonzola, which would have dropped cheese.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Gorgonzola isn't exactly an obscure type of cheese but the name is really fun. The cartoon Chowder had a character named Gorgonzola and I was already quite familiar with that being the name of a type of cheese (and Gorgonzola is a rat or mouse who in cartoon logic are associated with cheese).
Attachments
The evil wizard Gorgonzola and his lieutenants in evil, who each block a staircase on a different floor of his dungeon.
The evil wizard Gorgonzola and his lieutenants in evil, who each block a staircase on a different floor of his dungeon.
dawsgam0002.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I think Nathan's graphic makes Gorgonzola canon.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Yeah, that screenshot is awesome, and I am feeling pretty convinced. What do you think, TMC? Shall we lock in gorgonzola?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Although "Grognard" would be very apt for an OHRRPGCE release, it doesn't sound very pleasant. "Gyrovague" was amusing but not really a name to be proud of. I liked "graptomancy" too but we already had one -mancy (method of divination) and there are endless others. Etc.

But Gorgonzola ticks most of the boxes and popular support is overwhelming.

(Nathan: I notice your UI Background colour is pink instead of black, as it's intended to be. Is that intentional?)
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

TMC wrote:(Nathan: I notice your UI Background colour is pink instead of black, as it's intended to be. Is that intentional?)
I have exactly four colors on this master palette so there are some things I made purple that I'd rather have made black, but needed to make them stand out from the other things that are black. I have a hard time (even with experimentation, even on a broader palette) figuring out what changes to user interface colors change which things.

Also mouse-over text keeps turning black on this or any other simple palette I use with any regularity. I go into user interface colors to change it and it still turns mouse over text black.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah. I want to stop using the in-game palette for UI in Custom but instead probably use a fixed 256 colour palette in addition to the game's master palette (so Custom would probably have to switch to 24-bit colour mode everywhere), and likewise completely stop using the in-game UI colours for UI elements in Custom.

The mouse hover colour is actually a special case, because it tries to tint the normal colour of the text either darker or lighter according to the hover colour set in the UI colours menu, instead of using the hover colour as given. I know that's not really going to work if you only have 4 colours in the palette. I guess I should special case it to never pick black as the tinted colour. Set the Mouse Hover colour either as brighter to the Menu Item colour to fix the problem.

Edit: Oh, I see the problem here. There already is a special case to not pick the Menu Item colour. That needs to be overridden, will fix.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I have edited the thread title. "gorgonzola" is the next stable release name
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wikipedia lists a couple theories for the origin of the name of the town of Gorgonzola. One theory holds that the town is named after Concordia, Roman goddess of agreement in marriage and society.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

What a cheesy name...

HARDY HAR