Getting started... Again

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

byakk0
Slime

Getting started... Again

Post by byakk0 »

For fear of sounding like a newbie...
With multiple websites and forums. Castleparadox was the big thing last time I frequented.

First off, where is the main editor download found?

Next, is it still all pc based? Or are the games playable on Android and or apple devices?

I need to get my feet wet again and I think I've got a decent idea what make.

Thanks for humoring me �
Yep...I'm that Byakk0...Been a while my friends.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

This site is our friend! You’ll find downloads and tutorials and such there.

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Main_Page

PC, Mac, Linux... I think Android is possible but I don’t know what goes into that. Is Ouya still a thing?
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Ok, thanks. I visited the posted site and saw the last release date in 2017 so I wasn't sure.

Not sure what Ouya is. Guess googl it is out freind too. :)
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Oh, that gaming platform...(Ouya). Funny, I was reading about it somewhat recently.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

You might as well download the latest nightly version of the engine from the wiki. The last official release is pretty old by now, so you'd be missing out on a good amount of features.

Andriod ports are possible, but you have to ask Bob directly about making that happen, as far as I know.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Digging around the forum a little bit more it looks like Android ports are possible.
Are most games compatible? Or do they need to be built in such a way to accommodate Android?
I'm going to start a game intended for Android users and want to include or avoid what ever is needed from the start.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yeah, uh, two years since the last release... I'm the one to blame for that.

Most games will run on Android unmodified. What is a problem is if you write scripts that check for keyboard keys or mouse movement (rather than mouse clicks - tapping a screen acts as a mouse click but you can't see any movement when not tapping).
You can assign a few virtual keyboard keys to buttons (up to 6 including use/cancel) that will be overlaid on the screen (the "virtual gamepad").
But if you use mouse input at all you'd really want to design it/test for smartphone use from the start, or it could be unusable.

There are "show virtual gamepad" "hide virtual gamepad" commands to override whether the overlay is shown, and "auto virtual gamepad" to restore the default behavior, which is to hide it during textboxes and when the player is suspended. You might have to use this in some scripted games if the default isn't right.

You only need to contact James if you want to package your game into an .apk, but you can just download the android game player to play any .rpg file.

No iOS port. It's a low priority. Would rather work on HTML5 instead.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Mouse use huh. I think a mouse was useable in custom back when, but not in games. :)

So much to learn... Again.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You could only use a mouse in the sprite editors. Now you can play games using only a mouse*, and navigate the majority of editors, but there are still various that need some work (e.g. no way to go back to previous menu without using the keyboard).

* New in nightly builds, not in etheldreme
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

I've already found the mouse use in the editor most helpful.

One thing I can't figure out, or find the answer to...

I seem to recall being able to shift an image right, left, up and down while editing. I don't recall how to do so.

...Now to wrap my head around 'slices'. I've just skimmed the documentation so far.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, how you shift sprites has changed. I think you used to hold capslock! The new way is to select the Scroll tool (S) and press arrows/drag the mouse.

In nightlies since a few days ago you can also scroll all frames at once with the resize spriteset menu.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Cool thanks.

Yeah. Caps lock sounds right