The "I'm writing a book" thread

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

@James

Nicely polished for a first draft. Interesting, too. A bit like medieval fantasy James Bond.

We're halfway through NaNoWriMo. My word count as of midnight is 23,044 words, which puts me on course to pass both of my 2017 and 2018 combined final word counts by the 30th, but not quite hitting the 50,000-word mark. Had a few distracted evenings, otherwise I'd be past 25,000 words (but not 30,000--that's impressive). So I'm doing well, but I'll need to have a few highly-productive sessions to get ahead. We'll see how that goes.

I recorded my first eight days of work if anyone is interested in seeing a novel-in-progress as it's coming together. The story is a pirate adventure (though the pirates don't appear until Day 11) where the main character, an actor, gets stranded on an island while a hunter stalks him, and he has to figure out a way to not only defeat the hunter but to find his way off the island and return home in one piece.

My story overview calls it "Stalker thriller meets Pirates of the Caribbean." So far, it's been more like Point-and-click Adventure: A Novel. Organic writing. Sigh.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

"Point-and-click Adventure: A Novel" sounds like exactly my kind of book! I am looking forward to it

I should clarify that my 30,000 words has been on the same thing I have been working on since August, so I am neither complying with NaNoWriMo rules nor meeting it's goals.

Looks like I am average about 378 words per day, and hopefully I'll hit 50,000 words in early January
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

So, this happened a little while ago.
Attachments
Digital proof that I had very little time to sleep this month.
Digital proof that I had very little time to sleep this month.
NaNo-2019-Winner-Web-Badge.jpg (374.32 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Yay! Congratulations!
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Way to go James.

I attempted nanowrimo this year but my idea fizzled out about 2000 words in. I completed it back in 2015, yet I still need to finish that story. �
Yep...I'm that Byakk0...Been a while my friends.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

A writing thread is such a good idea! :D
I'm planning to write something in 2020. I'll use this thread for motivation. :)

How is your writing progressing? Do you have plans about writing this year?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Progressing nicely! I passed 50,000 words on January 1st, and I have nearly figured out how my ending is going to work, which one s a milestone I am excited about. Endings are hard!!

What are you planning to write this year?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

After reading this thread a few days ago I woke up at the next dawn consumed with this idea for an absurdist Alice in Wonderland-meets-Neuromancer. Reality and cyberspace mixed without boundary. Bears cutting through the data streams of the northern wilderness with their claws, bounding after packetfish. Great jumbled piles of lost works, the edges of the pages joined together into fractally nested sponges. The shimmering pinpricks in the abyss of some distant metropolis with no route to host.
Maybe it could be called Through the Fibre-optic Glass.

I haven't written anything down.

(Also, congrats, Pepsi Ranger!)
Last edited by TMC on Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

How's everybody's writing coming along?
@James: Did you find the ending?

I plan to make a comic/manga this year and I was told to write down the dialog before drawing.
I finished writng the dialogs for the first part of the story.
Now, I'll have to set up a work for hire request to see if someone could beta read it.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I finished the draft of my novel this morning!

It clocks in at just over 62000 words, and I am quite happy with the shape it is in.

Now to read the whole thing from beginning to end.

And figure out a title. Gotta do that. It has come too far to be named "Untitled Novel"

100% of it was typed in Google Docs on the touch keyboard on my Pixel 1 phone
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Congratulations on getting to the end.

What plans do you have for it once the editing is finished?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Thank you!

I want to self publish both on dead-tree and e-book. It has been long enough since I did that, that I'll need to re-learn how :)
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I'm not sure how reliably I can do so for editing purposes, but I'm definitely interested in reading your novel. The excerpt you sent before reeled me in. Just letting you know I'm still here waiting for the release.

I'm amazed you wrote it on your phone. I can't even begin to imagine that.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

When I have finished a self-editing pass, I'll start sharing it with "test audience" readers, so yes I can send it to you. Don't worry about proofreading or editing, I'll probably end up paying someone professional to do that.

Even though yes, typing on a screen is objectively worse than typing on a keyboard, the ability to write while laying flat on my back in bed before I fall asleep more than made up for it. It became part of my routine, motivated me to write for 20 or 30 minutes almost every day, and occasionally provoked me to dream about my characters and setting and wake up with better ideas in the morning
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Hey, that works! Finding a space where you can work is more important than the tools themselves, I guess. There are pretty compact bluetooth keyboards you can connect to a phone/tablet, but I suppose that still limits your chillaxing capacity.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife