2019 Top OHRRPGCE Games List

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

The voting is now offically over, but as the results have to be combined together, there will be one additional week to change votes or cast new ones. Some forum members may want take their chance to contribute to the great list of great OHR games.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Argh, somehow just saw this thread. I’ll come back to this, even if I miss the deadline.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Phew. I'll make use of this reprieve, although I've mostly put together my list already...
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Let's take it easy. Every vote is important for the grand list of games! The more votes are cast, the more likely it is that more great titles will get praised.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

"An impatient, brown-feathered bird looks at his watch and wobbles on his feet. He mumbles to himself: Am I in fact waiting for nothing?"

Now what to do?
> Send him votes
> Do nothing
> ________________ (fill in anything)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sorry :(

I decided to rank games based on subjective enjoyment/how fondly I remember them rather than how good they were (which means that the epic RPGs end up at the top), and then pick games on 'greatness' as the unranked list.

1. Sword of Jade by Fyrewulff and Charbile -- Admittedly, when you look at any single dimension SoJ is not the best game around, and in some ways hasn't aged well. I thought I wasn't going to put it in first place again, but all things considered, yes, it delivered on all things. Except sound effects :|
2. Adventures of Powerstick Man by Pepsi Ranger -- Put it down to nostalgia if you want, but the absurdity of the depth of this game really struck me, although it has many problems. It's a playable novel. This is the largest OHR game by almost any dimension, by far. (I'm giving Pepsi the benefit of the doubt and voting based on the last demo I've played, though he plays shell games with its availability)
3. Hati's Bizarre Adventure by Charbile -- ?!?! !!!
4. Wandering Hamster by James
5. Kaiju Big Battel by Surlaw and Soda Piggy -- Production values like nothing else, the art is gorgeous. The start is pun-ridden but the real humour starts later. However this is a game that (due to the source material) does not do much character development and world building, it's not trying to be an epic.
6. Motrya by JSH, Newbie Newtype and Gizmog
7. Walthros by Wobbler/Surlaw/PHC/PCH
8. Sleepover by Charbile -- OK, it's not a 'real' game like the others, but this will always have a special place for me because it was *the* game about OHRRPGCE games (until Charbile made some more). So... that means it's a joke game. But an engrossing 20 min. I'm voting for this 'cause Charbile legitimised doing so!

Unranked games, in no order

OHR House Battle Royale by Charbile -- Representing OHR Houses everywhere... Nah. That's not the reason.
Devs Like Waffles by James -- It's addictive
Paladin Traducer by James -- It's also addictive
Crypt of Baconthulhu by James -- Stealth edit
Spellshard: Black Crown of Horgoth by Shizuma/W.Geese and Harlock -- If I gave it a decent shot it would probably be right up there
Dungeonmen by Shizuma/W.Geese and Harlock
Genesis by Rebecca & Taylor Bair -- It was a labour of love, and I think I'm just getting over the sadness that it was abandoned.
Missing by Friend and Rinku -- Haven't heard anyone mention this game in a long time, sadly.
Boundless Ocean by Friend
Slimeomancy by Spoonweaver
Memento Mori by Mogri
Phantom Tactics by Mogri and TwinHamster -- A great tactical RPG for the OHRRPGCE. Only one problem: it's only the very beginning of a TRPG.
Void Pyramid by Willy Elektrix
1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart -- Especially for Owlbears!
Macabre by MeatBallSub
Festivus by Feenicks -- Feenicks releases so many noteworthy games that I don't know which to list...
Labyrinthilium by Feenicks
WitchX by Feenicks
Vikings by Fenrir et al -- Big impressive update coming up soon, it'll finally be finished!
Vampire's Curse by Fenrir -- Ditto with Fenrir. In fact I think Fenrir is probably the all-time most prolific OHRRPGCE user
Spooks and Summons by Fenrir
Action 37 by Foxley
Entrepreneur by Pepsi Ranger
T4R4D1DDL3 by superawesomeric
Do You Want to Be a Hero? by Mogri
OkéDoké! La Leyenda Mexicana by FnrrfYgmSchnish
Megaman Sprite Game by Brotoad
Samanthuel's Lovely Home by Brotoad
Time and Time Again by SDHawk and Master K
Trailblazers by Retrogamer
Bale by guo
Alien Squatter by Willy Elektrix and Shea Kennedy
...and many others overlooked

Notable absences:
-Axe Cop by RMZ and Soda Piggy would absolutely have made the list, but it doesn't have a public release
[s]-Alien Squatter by Willy Elektrix and Shea Kennedy was released after the official close of the voting window, so I excluded it[/s]
Last edited by TMC on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:27 am, edited 15 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

2. Adventures of Powerstick Man by Pepsi Ranger -- Put it down to nostalgia if you want, but the absurdity of the depth of this game really struck me, although it has many problems. It's a playable novel. This is the largest OHR game by almost any dimension, by far. (I'm giving Pepsi the benefit of the doubt and voting based on the last demo I've played, though he plays shell games with its availability)
I've actually ended the shell games for now. The link to the playtest file has been available on the game page since late 2017 (I think). Anyone can play it at any time. The real scandal is that I haven't updated it since 2016. I should really fix that. Eventually.
Notable absences:
-Axe Cop by RMZ and Soda Piggy would absolutely have made the list, but it doesn't have a public release
-Alien Squatter by Willy Electrix and Shea Kennedy was released after the official close of the voting window, so I excluded it
Alien Squatter's release on Steam shows September 30, which puts it just inside the window. I can say that if I were voting, I would put it on my list.

Ah, what the heck, I'll vote.

Here's a list:

Alien Squatter!
by Willy Elektrix
-Somewhat repetitive in nature but clever and open-ended as can be. I wish it had more areas and sleep locations, but I should probably finish the game and check the clock before I commit to that wish.

also

Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy
by Wobbler
-About as good as you can get on the OHR at the moment. Skip the demo. Pay the $10 for the full game. It's graphically and musically stellar, it has solid writing and gameplay, and it has the backing of a popular real-life underground kaiju wrestling organization. What more do you need?

Void Pyramid
by Willy Elektrix
-Great mix of puzzles, battles, and weirdness, complete with solid writing. A must play!

Ramble Planet
by Willy Elektrix
-I just like Willy Elektrix-style games.

Surfasaurus
by RedMaverickZero
-Probably needs more content to justify its real-time design, but it's still one of those potato chip delights that's fun to go back to from time to time. Made for mobile gaming. And it works (it's the only OHR game I have on my phone)!

Spellshard: Black Crown of Horgoth
by Shizuma and Harlock
-I never made it past the first character class threshold, but I had a lot of fun getting to the final Part 1 dungeon. Looks great. Sounds great. Is great. Difficulty spikes significantly, though, hence my failure to reach the second class section.

Okedoke! La Leyenda Mexicana
by FnrrfYgmSchnish
-More controversial with its themes than most games on the OHR, somehow calling out and satirizing modern-day political discourse well before its time, but its expertly drawn 8-bit graphics, decent map design, and full 30+ hour campaign make it an exceptional pill to swallow if you've got enough water in your glass.

Bale
by Guo
-Still a work-in-progress, but it's shaping up to be something special. Captures mood and world design better than most (but not quite as well as Void Pyramid does--but close). One for the radar.

Wandering Hamster
by Bob the Hamster
-Honestly, this game never gets old, even though it's the oldest OHR game (that we know about). It's fun no matter how many times I start it over. I hope James finishes it in the near future.

Vikings of Midgard
by Fenrir Lunaris
-Vikings is the staple OHR game. It shows off its graphic potential well, handles battles in clever ways, and it has some clever jokes. It's about as OHR as OHR gets.

Mr. Triangle's Adventure
by RedMaverickZero
-Another epic monster with an emphasis on exploration. It doesn't necessarily excel at any of its RPG parts, but it's notable for its clever boss battles and its unrivaled chef and musician mini-games. Really, have you played its music mini-game? Ingenious.

Slimeomancy
by Spoonweaver
-My favorite puzzle game on the OHR. But now I'm hearing about this thing called Paladin Traducer, and I'm thinking I should probably play that next. Whatever, Slimeomancy is the best!

The Crypt of Baconthulhu
by Bob the Hamster
-It's not so much that I love or even enjoy this game all that much, but what it accomplishes speaks to the flexibility of the OHR, and for that I think it's awesome. (I do still like the game.)

C.Kane
by Wobbler
-A short, distilled RPG that does everything an RPG is supposed to do in about a tenth of the time.

Ghost's Towns
by Wobbler
-A narrative that's equally bold and weird in its telling. It's short and deserves your time.

Horse Game
by Wobbler
-The funniest Super Walrus Land game to date, and maybe one of the funniest OHR games period. Very strange and awesome.

Sleepover
by Charbile
-I think this was a Halloween game, but also one of the best. It's odd, creepy, but shockingly well put-together for the amount of time that was spent making it. I remember being quite impressed with it.

OHR House Series
by JSH357
-It's really a "You had to be there" kind of game series, but I think modern audiences/players can still appreciate it for the amount of work that went into each entry. I remember my "Who Shot Bob the Hamster?" Epic Marathon Contest jump-starting the continuation of the second series after it had entered a long hiatus. Still not sure how I feel about "hosting" the third season, though.

OHR House: Heroes
by RedMaverickZero
-Still waiting for Season 2.

Drydocks: A Merchant RPG
by DanteDynamite
-It's a little buggy, but it does something that no other OHR game has really done well: create a vast open world with an emerging economy that influences the player's success or failure. There's enough charm to be memorable, even though it took me a few seconds to remember what it's called.

Entrepreneur: The Beginning
by Pepsi Ranger
-Because I'm biased and because working on it gives me a stress headache. It's that good!

Okay, that's good for now.

For bonus, here's a list of games that I'd put on the list if they were finished (hint: Finish them!):

Legendary Heroes by Spoonweaver
False Skies by Feenicks
The Successor's Legacy by Mammothstuds

Also,

It's much, much outdated now, but I was also a fan of Lolsidothaldremobine by MattGamerr once upon a time.
And the original Walthros by Wobbler is a classic, but I admit I'd much rather play the new remake whenever it comes out.

I also echo TMC's opinion of Axe Cop. It's not out yet, but when it comes out, it'll be a list-maker. Keep an eye on it.

EDIT: Oh, I was supposed to rank them? Okay, here:

1. Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy
2. Void Pyramid
3. Spellshard: Black Crown of Horgoth
4. Wandering Hamster
5. Surfasaurus
6. Alien Squatter
7. Entrepreneur: The Beginning
8. Slimeomancy
9. Ramble Planet
10. Okedoke! La Leyenda Mexicana
11. Bale
12. Mr. Triangle's Adventure
13. C.Kane
14. Drydocks: A Merchant RPG
15. Vikings of Midgard

16-21. The others in no particular order.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Heh well Steam lists Alien Squatter's release date as October 1st for me! But OK I added it to my list too just in case that gives it some chance of making it.

Nice to see more votes (and especially more commentary, which I was too lazy to write much of) -- the commentary is a pretty big part of the ranking.
Pepsi Ranger wrote:Sleepover
by Charbile
... It's odd, creepy ... I remember being quite impressed with it.
You're in for something.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

TMC wrote:Genesis by Rebecca & Taylor Bair -- It was a labour of love, and I think I'm just getting over the sadness that it was abandoned.
The siblings would have needed a third head in the group for technical designs. Genesis had sooooo much potential!
Pepsi Ranger wrote:Drydocks: A Merchant RPG
by DanteDynamite
-It's a little buggy, but it does something that no other OHR game has really done well: create a vast open world with an emerging economy that influences the player's success or failure. There's enough charm to be memorable, even though it took me a few seconds to remember what it's called.
This game tries something very big, which the OHRRPGCE interestingly seems to be capable of. If it gets some testing, some big bomb will hit OHR ground here. I hate so critisize it, but some games, like Sword of Jade for example and also Trailblazers at its time, tried too much with the engine. SoJ has too much interferences in the standard battle system, which can break the game. And Trailblazers, well, that's a toad with no wings trying to be an eagle. However Tim-Tim was a proper OHR sidescoller, but much later.

Good to see more votes coming in. A good voting system will rank all different ways of voting as equal as it's possible. Forget any deadlines. Anyone else wants to vote? Feel free, but don't wait too long, because once the results are published, the great OHRRPGCE games from 1997 to 2019 will be unchangeably declared.
Last edited by Bird on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I'm late to the party, but I'll post. My list is boring. There aren't too many surprises here!

1. Spellshard
2. Powerstick Man
3. Armageddon
4. OkeDoke!
5. Kaiju Big Battel
6. C.Kane
7. Walthros
8. Crypt of Baconthulu
9. Amazing Blue Ball Game
10. Dragon Bustier
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Fine. 10 votes were cast now. Anyone else wants to vote? You can also scream "WAIT" and then we will wait.
Otherwise, the final Top 30, which is rather a Top 25 list at the moment, will be published in 7 days.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

The results are in this archive here! There is a not perfectly functionable gift inside, too!
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I watched this slideshow. I guess I have to play Hati's Bizarre Adventure now!

I forgot about Darkmoor Dungeon. It's an oldie but goodie that I should have voted for.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

:D :D :D

10/10 power point presentation
A+
Attachments
missohr2019.png
missohr2019.png (203.93 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

charbile wrote::D :D :D

10/10 power point presentation
A+
Natalie declined the competition in order to give the other girls a chance.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!