OHR 2019 Halloween Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

What progress do you have so far? 11:59pm on Oct 31 doesn't happen for me for another 11 hours, so maybe you have some time to put out what you have?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

kylekrack wrote:What progress do you have so far? 11:59pm on Oct 31 doesn't happen for me for another 11 hours, so maybe you have some time to put out what you have?
Nah, there's no way I could finish it today, I think it might take like at least one more week. I wanted to ask for a extension, but I'm afraid that may happen that I could'nt even finish it even with an extension :(
Last edited by Gaplan on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorry for bad english :v:
TailBit
Slime

Post by TailBit »

Spent 9 hours today drawing and animating .. 2 sprites xD .. I underestimated how slow I actually draw, so in the end I had no time to code the remaining stuff.

Will still see if I can wrap it up tomorrow then, but the "missing" list is still quite long:
- A* pathfinding for hexagon
- Connect that to player movement
- Enemies
- Fog of war
- Sound n music
Attachments
so_good_so_far.png
so_good_so_far.png (71.87 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That looks cool! This is GameMaker Studio, right?

Is that z-depth I see on some of those tiles? Will that have gameplay consequences, or is it just a visual style thing.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

witch.rpg DX.
Spent some time sprucing up a couple of things. It's still mostly the same game, just with a bunch of new features that should make things work fine.

[as usual, let me know if things blow up]undefined
TailBit
Slime

Post by TailBit »

@Bob the hamster Yes, it is GMS2, every color on the floor indicate a higher elevation..

I had some idea for it, like stepping on one tile pushes it down and the surrounding ones up, then it could open a path for a higher lava pool.

But since I'm out of time I'll most likely only add a height restriction for the A* Search

This is also my first time using a skeleton animated sprite in GMS (took way too long to rig xD )

Got a bday gift game I'll be making after this (recreation of the amiga game "Walker") so I won't update this for at least a week
Last edited by TailBit on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Hey everyone my job sucks and the little time I had to work on my game the past 2 days was spent falling asleep sitting up. So if you want to sneak in an update (or a submission) while I'm recovering from not getting any sleep, I will not be upset.
Ps. I love my wife
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 074#136074

I have done what I can for now. I will play the submissions this weekend! If you update anything, let me know so I can be sure to play the most recent version.

((what is this mysterious "Game" tag??))
Ps. I love my wife
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Minor update to fix some bugfixes and the credits. If you've got a prior version, you shouldn't notice any major changes, but this one should be the last. :hurr:
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Thank you to all who participated, finished or not!

Now time for voting. First of all, all should know that due to submission count, categories are no longer a part of voting. Instead, list the submissions from favorite to least favorite. Post your list in this thread. Please play all the games before voting. Links are below.

The Entries:

Spooks and Summons by Fenrir-Lunaris

breakout.rpg by kylekrack and MorpheusKitami

CASTLE OF THE PUMPKIN KING by dantedynamite

witch.rpg/'Any Excuse for Dressing up is fine'/witch.rpg DX by Feenicks

I haven't heard about any last-minute entries, so, for now, I'm assuming there are none. Voting closes on November 8th, and if any games do show up late, I'm open to adding them as official entries.
Ps. I love my wife
dantedynamite
Red Slime

Post by dantedynamite »

Whoops. Forgot to post it, but here is a link to my submission. I hope you find it to be spooky fun.

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=136073
Attachments
A delightfully spooky map.
A delightfully spooky map.
Castle of the Pumpkin King0005.png (23.49 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Alright:
1. Breakout - genuinely scary at points. Glad hiding away seems to be foolproof, though I tried hiding away when the monster was actively chasing after me. The guy sure can't run that quickly, can he?
2. Spooks and Summons - Still neat, enjoy the extra summons acting as in-betweens for the original ranks. The change to powerleveling is neat, too. Kinda preferred the original's music
3. CASTLE OF THE PUMPKIN KING - Very different from what I was expecting, given the title screen [wasn't expecting the choice in main character, for one]. Technically impressive, but kinda wonky [a lot of enemies weren't seeming to damage me except on rare occasions, using the sword had a tendency to destroy most stuff outright]. I managed to delete the boat when I was on it so I didn't see the end of this one, unfortunately.
4. witch.rpg DX - rating my own game high would be pretty rude so on the bottom it goes
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Tough choice here. I thoroughly enjoyed Spooks, Witch.rpg, and CotPK. But rules are rules!

1. Castle of the Pumpkin King - Clearly had a lot of fun in development, and I felt that fun while playing! It certainly has its quirks, but it recognizes and appears to design around them, rather than pretending the bugs aren't there.

2. witch.rpg DX - Straightforward gameplay, but getting to see your equipment as costumes makes them feel more real, rather than arbitrary stat boosts. It also plays well into the festive theme!

3. Spooks and Summons - A lot of the fun comes from the cameos, which this pulls off well by including a good mix of plain ol' Halloween/misc. jokes along with the inside jokes. That way it doesn't feel alienating if you aren't familiar with a certain character.

4. breakout - Had a lot of fun making this one. Got really stuck with it until Morpheus Kitami came along and helped me with the narrative. I hope it was scary! At least at first! Once you figure out the AI, it's exploitable, but as is the nature of rushed code, eh?

It doesn't look like we quite have enough votes to make any meaningful decisions. I encourage other members of the community (especially those who submitted!) to play and vote! The deadline has now technically passed, so just get the votes in!!
Ps. I love my wife
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

favorite spurdo game: Castle of the Pumpkin King

favorite Festive game: witch.rpg DX

favorite Horror game: breakout

favorite Overall game: SPOOKS AND SUMMONS

Breakout has some thick atmosphere and does a great job with the sound. It's really impressive and shows the how to do horror. I think the code has been... kracked. *sunglasses*

Castle of the Pumpkin King has a great overworld and structure to it, and it's exciting to see an action adventure game in the engine. Massive potential here.

Witch DX has spooky gameboy palettes. I enjoyed dressing up. While the plot is limited, I enjoyed the back and forth with our witch party. Unlike Swordplay, I won't nitpick and accept it for what it is. Befitting for one who wears the crown.

Spooks and Summons is a masterpiece. It's nonstop Hati with some great support characters. The previous version felt like a grind, but this one is really smooth. Smooth like moon butter. Will probably end up playing it again with a different party. The game was enough to inspire me in part to make a game. And a Hati Fanclub. Accepting new membership, apply via pm. I don't think Fenrir gets enough praise, not as much as he probably deserves. Although, the same can be said for everyone else who entered. Special Thanks: you guys! I enjoyed playing.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

charbile wrote:favorite spurdo game: Castle of the Pumpkin King

favorite Festive game: witch.rpg DX

favorite Horror game: breakout

favorite Overall game: SPOOKS AND SUMMONS
Hey, so voting method changed due to number of entries. Instead I'm just taking a 1-4 list from favorite to 'least favorite'. I understand Spooks to be at #1, but can you clarify the other rankings?

EDIT: Interested in joining the Hati fan club, sounds like something I can get behind.
Last edited by kylekrack on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ps. I love my wife