Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Text box faces for Bob. He's fun to draw expressions for and will have more than most characters but everyone will have a handful.
Attachments
BobFaces.png
BobFaces.png (15.1 KiB) Viewed 14187 times
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

This is probably unnecessary, but I'd really like to see a version of Bob doing the ;p face.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

It makes sense for the main hero to be the most expressive person in the room among his friends. In my opinion, a fleshed out personality to relate to is better than making the main character among a colorful ensemble never speak for fear he might inadvertently say something that someone in the audience disagrees with.

And the character the player follows for the longest time will have the most time to show off different emotions.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Nathan Karr wrote:It makes sense for the main hero to be the most expressive person in the room among his friends. In my opinion, a fleshed out personality to relate to is better than making the main character among a colorful ensemble never speak for fear he might inadvertently say something that someone in the audience disagrees with.
I don't think that's why anyone uses silent main characters, main heroes are often silent as a way to allow the audience to project and say "that's me."
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

The Wobbler wrote:
Nathan Karr wrote:It makes sense for the main hero to be the most expressive person in the room among his friends. In my opinion, a fleshed out personality to relate to is better than making the main character among a colorful ensemble never speak for fear he might inadvertently say something that someone in the audience disagrees with.
I don't think that's why anyone uses silent main characters, main heroes are often silent as a way to allow the audience to project and say "that's me."
"Don't give the main character a personality because then he might say something the audience disagrees with, reducing the audience's ability to project onto him"
vs
"Make the main character silent and have no personality so that everybody can easily project onto him"

Same basic thing, just being looked at from opposite directions. I tend to accentuate and focus on the negative.

For my part, I like silent protagonists to project myself onto so long as their sidekicks/allies aren't given actual personalities that make the main character's deficiencies obvious. All or nothing, basically, and you've had a very good history of going "all" when it comes to putting extra effort into your games.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Players in general have no problem with protagonists they disagree with, otherwise crime sandbox games wouldn't be enormously successful.

Anyway here's some UFOs. Some ships parked in a lot in Beta City. The people of Walthros don't have cars as we know them and instead fly freely in these small, colorful pods.
Attachments
Gus.png
Gus.png (11.84 KiB) Viewed 14114 times
UFO.jpg
UFO.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 14129 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

You won't have access to a full minimap at all times, but some areas will let you view maps on signs, pamphlets, etc.
Attachments
That "reading the internet" feeling
That "reading the internet" feeling
Capture.png (23.84 KiB) Viewed 14061 times
BetaMaps.gif
BetaMaps.gif (225.09 KiB) Viewed 14088 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I didn't notice it before, but there's a typo in "grandpa."
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

That's what I get for getting too into Bob's character!! Thanks, will fix. Here's a cat.
Attachments
Cool.gif
Cool.gif (1.31 MiB) Viewed 14015 times
Lydia.png
Lydia.png (24.42 KiB) Viewed 14024 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

New non-playable character: Lucia's one of the first vendors players meet in Beta City. She sells items that you can then use to customize Bob's apartment. The first tapir character in a Walthros game.
Attachments
Lucia.png
Lucia.png (24.19 KiB) Viewed 14006 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I love this wholesome bestiary.
vvight.wordpress.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! Here's a chat with a clownfish.
Attachments
Clownfish.gif
Clownfish.gif (1.03 MiB) Viewed 13980 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Wholesome and all too real, man.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Here's a happier burger place friend.

Complete Friendship Events to deepen your bonds with characters you meet. Friendship unlocks items, missions, and areas. Let's make some friends!
Attachments
001.PNG
001.PNG (61.08 KiB) Viewed 13943 times
BurgerSeal.gif
BurgerSeal.gif (831.15 KiB) Viewed 13964 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Whoa, an intriguing system. (Well, this game is intriguing on the whole, enjoying the dev-blog.) Now, what does this actually mean? Does it modify what NPCs say? I guess it injects non-linearity into your NPCs in the sense that you can do any X or Y friendship events to unlock Z instead of having a fixed sequence?