2019 Top OHRRPGCE Games List

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bird
Slime Knight

2019 Top OHRRPGCE Games List

Post by Bird »

Which OHRRGPCE game is THE best?

Everyone has a different opinion about that question. So let's merge all the opinions together and give one game the honor of calling it the best OHRRPGCE game, the greatest, the craziest (?), the best written, the most appealing, the most historically, just everything that makes a game being a memorable experience for you.

We do that, like it was done in the past: Voting a Top (10/15/20/30) list! This method has a long history in the OHR community, see here in the Wiki: http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Top_30

For sure you don't know all the good games. No problem! Vote for the ones, that you have enjoyed playing at anytime between 1997 and now, 2019. Put them in an order, from your 1st favourite to 10th favourite. Additionally, if it really hurts to leave some great games out of the Top 10, infinite honorable mentions of games are welcome. They will be recognised in the results (but only a little bit). Don't rank them, just put everything as #11 behind the Top 10.
Well, if you don't like to rank the great games against other great games, you can give us an unclassified list. That can be put into the overall results, too.
Post your list here or send me a message. If your mind changes, your votes can change, too.

The voting period (until 30th September 2019) is over now, but everyone can still vote until the results are published, which will take a week or so. Then, we will know which OHRRPGCE games are the best (at least in the eyes of the guys here).
Last edited by Bird on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I can't access the Castle Paradox gamelist to be sure, but here's a tentative listing of every game (that I am aware of!) that has had a release or has had some significant gameplay tweaks since January 1st, 2019.

Code: Select all

6 Curses - Feenicks
Bale Chapter 1 - guo
Birdcaged - Kefyrra
Camomile tea - ChalkFlower
Carcere Vicis - TMC
Club Nova - MirceaKitsune
Cretinary Adventure - MirceaKitsune
Dragon Town - MirceaKitsune
False Skies - Feenicks
FENNECS! - Idontknow
Guilded - kylekrack
Hati's Bizarre Adventure - charbile
Haven City - MirceaKitsune
Heimkehr.bat - The OHRDOS Version Downgrade - Bird
Hinterlands: Pilgrimage (alpha) - TheLordThyGod
Islands (map) - MirceaKitsune
Lustyrinth - Fenrir-Lunaris
Mom's Home - Kylekrack
Motherland - ChalkFlower
OHRodents - Nathan Karr
OHR House Battle Royale - charbile
PAC-MAN - TheMan
Porosis - 5c0urg3
PvPRPG - Kylekrack
Renaldo Dog in... "Service With A Sigh" - Foxley
Ridiculous Games Contest 2019 Commencement - Idontknow
Rolling, Radical Revolution - Bird
Snake Hallway - Nathan Karr
Star Ranger - woahpotato
Sums Game - Ichiro
Tale - MirceaKitsune
The Apartment - MirceaKitsune
The K'hyurbhi Lands - FnrrfYgmSchnish
This Emptiness - MorpheusKitami
Tworound - ChalkFlower
Vault.rpg - Feenicks
Vikings of Midgard (2019 Secret Alpha) - Fenrir-Lunaris
WitchX - Feenicks
Wolf Village - MirceaKitsune
You Need a Hero 2018 HOTOHR Version - Idontknow
Zalag: Glustu - MorpheusKitami
Takeaway #1 - Awful lot of furries in the Hamster Republic these days.
Takeaway #2 - Special props to MirceaKitsune for snatching away the "most prodigious author" title this year with EIGHT titles.
Takeaway #3 - Half of these titles you probably shouldn't play with mom in the room. :v:
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

*my votes are subject to change*

1. your game :angel:
2. all the games are wonderful and special
3. think one can have favorites but as noted this can change over time. trending a good word for it
4. given mood, maybe today i'm into something silly
5. tomorrow, a surreal fantasy
6. my top spot would be the current game i'm playing and i sure hope mommy dont walk in
7. it'd probably be easier to do a tier list, but thinking about it, don't want to make anyone mad
8. point being, think we can probably agree on a pool of top tier games
9. currently, have been rating games on how strong their promise is
10. and how well they make good on the game's promise
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

(Note: Carcere Vicis wasn't updated, I only reuploaded the file to test a bug in the gamelist)

Please let us rank more than 10 games. There are far more good games today than there were in 2005! And the more games we can list, the better the results will be and the more likely that you can produce a Top 30 list instead of a Top 10 list (you will have to cut off the bottom at some point because of too few votes per game producing just noise).
Exactly how you calculate the ranking also matters hugely.

Will put together a list. Good suggestions here.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

This voting will go for every OHRRPGCE game made ever. Therefore I didn't post any lists of previous games, because I want all players around here to think by themselves, which great OHR games come to their minds. The current games definetly deserve their spot in the list, if they are well made (which some really are). For sure other OHRRPGCE experiments than RPGs are allowed!

How many games should be allowed to vote on? Discuss! The rules shall obey the community's will. But I have the last word.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I always dislike picking favorites, but I will attempt to participate in this vote. I still have plenty of time, right?

I am reminded of how many games I have not yet taken the time to play!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You have two months to vote! Excessive!

Last time (when MBS ran it in 2013) you could vote for up to 15 games. And nearly everyone did. JSH also allowed up to 15 votes when he ran it. I think we were allowed 20 votes once, and 10 votes in the more ancient polls. I think 15-20 is a good number.

This is actually a great excuse to play some good OHRRPGCE games! There are a few games I'd like to play before I vote, however people should be encouraged to just vote based on the games they have already played as opposed to not voting at all. Ultimately it's the responsibility of the person running the poll to compensate for that as far as they can.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I'll get back to you after I've finished Hati's Bizarre Adventure and Fighto Fantasy, I expect both of those games to show up on my list.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Nobody is too inexperienced to vote here. A little bit of luck for one game or the other is part of the voting! The presentation (or let's call it the advertising) is also part of making a game. If one game got under the radar while others didn't... could be just random, but not to 100 percent. Anyway, the best games will shine through, when we get some votes in.

There don't have to be a lot of rules. Vote whenever you feel it's the right time. Votes can be changed until 31st September, if something great appears in the next time.

Should the voting be about the best 15 games? Is that enough?

I will invent a complicated mathematical system that will make sure, that the rank itself will not be overly important. The number of votes, a game gets, has to be important, too.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I was going to suggest this in the Top 30 thread on the Front Page, but I can suggest it here instead:

This idea could extend the voting period a bit, and it may even border on excessive, but why not employ a system similar to that the Academy Awards does for its winners?

-In short, community members nominate a list of favorites (any length).

-From that compiled list, we vote on our 10-20 favorites.

-The list's compiler would assign a default score to 1st place for every user list and work backwards for the remaining scores. For example, if we're capping the votes to our 10 favorites (of the approved list), then 1st would get 10 points, 2nd would get 9, etc., much like how the old contest scoring methods worked. If we're voting on 15 or 20, then 1st place would get 15 or 20 points, 2nd would get 14 or 19, and so on. Make sense?

It would probably require extending the vote past September, but it reduces the likelihood that terrible joke games from 2006 would dominate the list (not that they would do such a thing in this day and age anyway).

It would also make it much easier to remember which games we liked if we saw a compiled list that others contribute to (because they liked those games, too).

Just a thought.

EDIT: And there are only 30 days in September.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

An analysis of the 2013 contest showed an enormous number of bad joke games appearing in the votes. So the concern is right. Still, the joke games didn't rank up high because they only got one or two votes, whereas the good games got more consistent votes and shined through.

I think the voting should be free for everything from the OHR world. That's part of the fun here, because something that nobody expects can appear from nowhere! Let's take the risk of the people voting for something stupid.

There was a list in the voting thread of 2013, which included all games that appeared on the former lists. However I want you to think first about your personal favourite games, before letting you being spoiled by the list of someone else. Ones favourites are a highly individual thing. In 2013 there were 8 public voters which gave 68 different games some ranks in their Top 15. Half of the games only got one vote.
(Link to 2013)

I've thought about the voting system. We stay with a Top 10 voting, but have an unlimited number of additional games, that can be put behind the Top 10, which will then get an equal score (which won't be too high, but still recognisable). There was a tendency of people wanting to vote on more games in the past, but they couldn't get them some space in their lists. But there was a tendency too, that 15 games were too many for some voters to think about. 10 will be easier, more than that is bonus.

So get your 10 real favourites in a list, and whatever is missing, but worth mentioning, can get some honor, too. But don't rank them behind place #10, that would get too fuzzy.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hey, I only voted for good joke games
Pepsi Ranger wrote:-In short, community members nominate a list of favorites (any length).

-From that compiled list, we vote on our 10-20 favorites.
Sounds very similar to what Mogri proposed for OHR Essentials.
Bird wrote:We stay with a Top 10 voting, but have an unlimited number of additional games, that can be put behind the Top 10, which will then get an equal score
Great, I'm happy with that. (If anything, putting 10 games into strict order is already too hard, but it doesn't really matter, it'll all average out)

BTW, I tallied the 2013 scores and found there were at least 14 voters in total.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

TMC wrote:Hey, I only voted for good joke games
Joke games... good games... you guys decide! If a non-Nintendo-like game was extremly memorable, it may deserve a spot! Well, I won't vote for "Project Caterpillar", even if I remember every second (which weren't many) of it. That was disgusting. Don't play that.
TMC wrote:BTW, I tallied the 2013 scores and found there were at least 14 voters in total.
True, there was a note, that some votes came by PM. I just had a look at what's written in the 2013 thread.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Let me make a start with the votes:

01. Hati's Bizarre Adventure
02. Vikings of Midgard
03. Darkmoor Dungeon
04. Alien Squatter
05. Festivus
06. Tim-Tim "The Mighty Gnome"
07. Crystal Chasers
08. Don't Eat Soap
09. Walthros
10. The SuperAmazingBlueBallGame

Good games for varoius reasons, but didn't make the list:
Ramble Planet
Sword of Jade
Lolsidothaldremobine
+Alice is Trapped
+Motrya
Puckamon
Hinterlands: Pilgrimage
Fridge Racer
Jailbreak
witch.rpg (Any excuse for dressing up is fine)
Monterey Penguin
Genesis
Void Pyramid
Catman
Wandering Hamster
Transylvania Girls
+Wally's Castle
Px
Dungeonmen: Men of Dungeons
Boundless Ocean
Zero: Secret Pasts Collide
+Wingedmene
++Sleepover
(Attention: The votes can still change)

Every game of these had something, that I liked. Most cases have something to do with a certain atmosphere of the games, that (from my perspective) can overflow bad aspects of a game, like graphics for example or lack of tactics in battles. Music also plays a lot into the atmosphere.
Sorry, these are too many games to describe, what made them good. Please feel free to express it in your votes. What I admire about this whole list of OHRRPGCE games is, how strange games can be and that they can be enjoyed on old computers.
Last edited by Bird on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Well...
some additions were made to the list. Here are some explanations, why every single game appears there:

Hati's Bizarre Adventure - This would never ever be made anywhere else except here. Incredible pervert fun.
Vikings of Midgard - Huge and beautiful classic RPG experience with the OHR (and still incomplete!).
Darkmoor Dungeon - Sharp tactical fighting with the standard OHR battle system.
Alien Squatter - Deep-thought interactive fiction in surreal environment. (Unreleased game!)
Festivus - Winter music, very warm atmosphere, old pseudo-3D labyrinth gameplay with the OHR.
Tim-Tim "The Mighty Gnome" - Tough and smooth platformer with the OHR. Technically beautiful. The final boss cutscene was not skippable (hopefully that will be changed!).
Crystal Chasers - An easy demonstration, what the OHR can do soundwise (MIDI), puzzlewise and battlewise
Don't Eat Soap - Hard to believe, that this was done with the OHR a long time ago. Challenging Bubble Bobble Clone.
Walthros - Huge RPG with huge number of characters and a huge storyline. It's about saving the world!
The SuperAmazingBlueBallGame - An arcade game, that never gets old. So simple and a lot of fun.

Ramble Planet - Very surreal... one of the stangest games here, but with thrilling atmosphere.
Sword of Jade - Great story, but tries too much with the standard battle system (too many bugs!)
Lolsidothaldremobine - Great character design and story. Unfortuneatly unfinished. Carrys an angry pupil's spirit in it.
Alice Is Trapped - Also called Run away from frog. Highly creative action game.
Puckamon - Was fun at the time it was released. Has more tactics than the original Pokemon game.
Hinterlands: Pilgrimage - How can simple graphics improve the atmosphere of a game about a primitive culture group...
Fridge Racer - Technically beautiful. This is a racing game! But the last stage is unfair.
Jailbreak - This is an 2D-action game with a shooting gun. Great music.
witch.rpg (Any excuse for dressing up is fine) - Enjoy a lot of costumes! Funny characters having fun at halloween. Good battles.
Monterey Penguin - Very old OHR game with ridiculous humor and characters. Story: A penguin needs to collect stamps.
Genesis - Soulful RPG with big story, but gameplay flaws. One of the OHR classics. (Like some classics, it was quite difficult!)
Void Pyramid - Tactical battles. The other games by the author have more intersting settings.
Catman - This was done by a kid, that must have had an awesome time with the development of this twenty years ago.
Wandering Hamster - Keeps improving since 20 years. Very friendly RPG!
Transylvania Girls - Dating simulation. The OHR has everything!
Wally's Castle - Strange game. It's a very old RPG, but gold on the creative side!
Px - Surreal, but with no point. You might dream crazy after this one.
Dungeonmen: Men of Dungeons - Big OHR production with great efforts, but not interesting enough. Setting didn't fit. Nintendo did this better.
Boundless Ocean - Just did some mistakes in game and map design, but story and setting was great.
Zero: Secret Pasts Collide - Soulful and simple story. Liked this long and conventional RPG, but it's unfinished.
Wingedmene - Old, beautiful, but with bad mapdesign. There was a good artist there.

Well, well...