Who has tried mouse controls?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Who has tried mouse controls?

Post by Bob the Hamster »

So I am curious: who has tried out the built-in mouse controls for games in the nightly wip builds?

I haven't heard much feedback about it, and I am kinda assuming that nobody is using it?

[yt]jXOkl_Pdymk[/yt]
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I've used it and I think it's excellent for map movement. Battles are a little clunky but not bad. I plan on promoting it as part of Walthros but I've got to implement it for all of my custom menus first to see how feasible that is.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Because people nowadays are more likely to assume that games make use of the mouse, I've enabled it in Vikings :D

I've noticed that the built-in path finding tends to find walls that don't have the correct passability set fairly frequently. Suffice to say this has sped up a good portion of my wall-checking progress. My hunch is that mouse functionality MIGHT actually make for a better presentation on Android/tablet systems?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Implementing mouse controls is one of my UI goals for the near future. Specifically, I want to enable long-distance interaction where you can use it to trigger an NPC without having to be directly next to it (similar to point-and-click adventure games), though you'd still need to be close enough for the interaction to make sense.

I think having an alternative control scheme that uses WASD would encourage mouse interaction (not just movement) a bit more. Implementing that as an option is also one of my goals. I can give you better feedback then.

Speaking of movement and UI, how well does the OHR handle pixel-based movement and interaction with the mouse? I still hope to implement a more free-flowing movement style than the current tile-based system to mimic the modern 2D adventure game, though that's also why I want to implement WASD movement. WASD movement with mouse interaction seems to improve a game's control flexibility. Being able to access an NPC in spite of its alignment to the tile is still something I hope for. I assume the mouse can handle that?
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I implemented them in OHRodents mostly for the pun factor and confirmed they work. I don't care for them, but I've always been a keyboard person. If it didn't involve hitting Tab so often, I'd probably try to browse the web primarily with the keyboard.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:Speaking of movement and UI, how well does the OHR handle pixel-based movement and interaction with the mouse?
It doesn't. The OHR doesn't support pixel-based movement yet, unless you script it (see kylekrack's pixelwalker). Long term goal.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Right now I am pretty happy with how mouse walking on the map works. Less so with the mouse support in battles and menus. They work, but not as well as I would like, for example, targeting spells and items in battle feels clunky still. So does scrolling up and down in the save/load screens (especially with two-finger touch right click drag)