CataclysmDDA

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

So, I was about to update this today, but as I'm currently using the nightlies, it seems like things are a bit buggy. I loaded it up, started doing stuff, then got hit with a crash. I loaded it up again, and it had deleted the world beyond recovery.

Bummer.

So. Would you guys want to start over with a new character? Or call it quits? Or perhaps a different game entirely, like Morrowind or something?
Last edited by BMR on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
User avatar
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I wouldn't mind a new character, or a different randomized game. A predetermined game like Morrowind wouldn't be much fun unless it was something very few people had played before, like that Amiga game that was called Fate, I think.
User avatar
Bob the Hamster
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 7449
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Hamster Republic (Ontario Enclave)
Contact:

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Dwarf fortress? ;)
User avatar
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 6212
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 am
Location: Home
Contact:

Post by Spoonweaver »

Boo....
Yea start something back up, I was getting into this.
Oh and I personally have played Morrowind to death.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Oof, Dwarf Fortress would be a bit too complex, heh. Righto, give me a bit, and I'll put together a new character.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
TMC
Metal King Slime
Posts: 4090
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:19 am

Post by TMC »

That was bad RNG : (

But it wouldn't be an RL without permadeath and rolling new characters over and over!
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Day 01

Image

Image

Oh gods, oh gods, oh gods... I can't believe this is happening! I was just doing my job, was called here to this house earlier today to fix some pipes. It was supposed to be just another day, after months of being out of work, I'd finally gotten a job as a handy man. And now this! Oh bloody hell, I can hear them outside!

Over near the wall is the guy that hired me. He's collapsed into a sobbing wreck, saying how this must be just a bad dream.

Ok, ok, deep breaths, I have to calm down. You're a handy man, Chase, time get handy! You've got some tools with you, so maybe you can fight them off. But then again... there are hundreds of them, and my busted knee means I probably won't be able to outrun them. Well, not over any significant distance, at least. I guess I could shuffle away really fast, but that's not a winning long-term strategy.

On the plus side, this house is on the outskirts of town, and there's a forest half a block or so to the south. Might be able to lose them there, but I'm a city boy, never really had to survive out in the woods before. Still, might be better than getting eaten alive by these things.


Image

>What should I do?_
Attachments
001.png
001.png (31.4 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
002.png
002.png (33.82 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
003.png
003.png (25.23 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
User avatar
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Flee, there's nothing we can do. We shouldn't even look through his things, they'll catch us for sure.
User avatar
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 6212
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 am
Location: Home
Contact:

Post by Spoonweaver »

Go to the kitchen, snatch up as much food as you can and run to a car.
Shove the crying guy in front of a monster ONLY as a last resort.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Day 01 - 0802h
MorpheusKitami wrote:Flee, there's nothing we can do. We shouldn't even look through his things, they'll catch us for sure.
Right, slime this noise, I'm out of here. Still...
Spoonweaver wrote:Go to the kitchen, snatch up as much food as you can and run to a car.
Shove the crying guy in front of a monster ONLY as a last resort.
...might be able to nab a few things while this poor sap distracts them with his crying. Wouldn't sit right on my conscience though...

"Hey, dude, I'm going to get out of here. If you don't want to die, then come along."

"But... but those things are out there!"

"Look, we either stay here and get eaten by those things, or we run and maybe, just maybe, survive. Are you with me?"

"...yeah... I guess so. You have a car, right?"

"Hah! What car? This is my first job in months, I haven't had any luxuries like 'cars' for a while now. What about you?"

"I was getting the windows tinted, it's in the shop right now."

"Of course you are. Come on, we're breaking out south. Run if you can, we're making for the forest."

As we run, I hear some glass breaking. What is with these rich people and their glass doors? Who ever thought to themselves, "Well, this is terrible security-wise, but it looks fancy, so it's A-OK!"? Boggles the mind. I turn the corner in the hallway, and there are a couple of those things in the living room.

Just as I'm about to book it, the aforementioned rich idiot starts rummaging around in a side table.

"Wait, let me get something!"

"WHAT THE SLIME COULD YOU POSSIBLY NEED!?"

And then he shows me a Glock.

"Oh. Well, that could be useful, actually. Just don't fire it willy-nilly, we don't want to attract attention."

I open the door to the south, and see that he's got a chain link fence around his backyard. It'll help slow the zeds down, but it'll be tough for me to climb it, what with my busted knee. Still, it's our only way out, so we clamber over it. And just in time. To the east, there's a massive group of the things coming for us.

"Come on, into the forest!"

As we do, a zombie appears from behind a tree and lumbers towards me. Zeds to the east, an overrun house to the north, and more city to the west. And this guy's blocking me. The rich guy lifts up his gun to fire, but I stop him.

"No, we don't want to attract attention. I've got this."

I lift up my nail gun and shoot. The nail doesn't go far, but I'm close enough that a few of the nails embed themselves into the zombie's rotting flesh. It's not much, but it distracts the thing enough for us to slip around it and into the forest. I can still hear the zombies smashing their way through the forest though, and it looks like we're not quite safe yet.



Day 01 - 0940h

Ok, incredibly lucky for us. We had been running for over an hour when we got to the edge of the forest. As we exited the forest, we were being chased by four zombies. And with me limping along, and the rich dude completely unaccustomed to exercise, they were sure to catch us.

By some stroke of luck though, it looks like some children or scouts or whatever were having a field trip of some sorts. Camping, I guess. And what did they leave behind? A beautiful, beautiful school bus. I ordered the rich dude to get into it, and I hot-wired it to start, leaving the zombies behind us. Only problem is, this bus is extremely banged up, and way to low on fuel to be a long-term solution. Still, if I can get some proper tools, I could definitely fix it up. I'll need a hose as well, and I'll be able to siphon some diesel into it. For now though, we're on the road, and we're safe.

The open road is before us. Up ahead of us, I can see a fork in the road. One way continues south, and other to the east. I've never been out of the city before in my life, so I have no idea where either leads. Still, they'll definitely be better than the city to the north, which is completely overrun.


Image

>What should I do?_
Attachments
004.png
004.png (45.69 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Last edited by BMR on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
User avatar
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Assuming we see no buildings in either direction, east, otherwise, if the buildings might contain things for our new ride, there.
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Day 01 - 0940h

South, or east, south or east... Well, time to toss a coin.

Heads, I go south, tails, I go east.

*FLIP*

...

...

...

Heads, south it is!



Day 01 - 1015h

Been driving for half an hour or so. Fuel is getting really low, but at least it helped put some distance between us and the city. Haven't seen another zombie for a while now. The road led into the woods, and we're currently surrounded by forest. I saw a few animals here and there, but none really bothered us. If it comes down to it, I guess we may need to hunt them.

Haven't seen any other cars either, but while driving, I did spot a building in the distance. When we approached it, I found that it was one of those hazardous waste disposal places. It seems abandoned and the parking lot is empty. It does seem mostly intact, no signs of looting. I mean, what idiot would loot a hazardous waste disposal area? Great way to get infected with something. Still... desperate times, and all that. Might be worth checking out.


Image
Attachments
005.png
005.png (77.7 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
Last edited by BMR on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
User avatar
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Post by MorpheusKitami »

It's probably locked, since most of those things were built to last hundreds of years, we should move onward.
User avatar
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 6212
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 am
Location: Home
Contact:

Post by Spoonweaver »

Might as well check if it’s locked though. But considering what might be lurking in a terrible place like this, better keep the bus running and pointed towards the exit.
A government building is too good not to try to loot though. There could be all sorts of good gear inside.
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Day 01 - 1015h
MorpheusKitami wrote:It's probably locked, since most of those things were built to last hundreds of years, we should move onward.
Spoonweaver wrote:Might as well check if it’s locked though. But considering what might be lurking in a terrible place like this, better keep the bus running and pointed towards the exit.
A government building is too good not to try to loot though. There could be all sorts of good gear inside.
Yeah, place is probably locked, so might not be worth my time. However... It does look abandoned, so maybe when everyone left in a hurry, they forgot to lock the doors?

Might be worth checking out.

I'm about to tell the rich guy to follow, but I see that he's collapsed into one of the seats, sprawled out and out cold. I'll let the guy sleep, it's been a rough few hours. Time to check the facility out.

...

Well, the main gatehouse was locked, but the chain-link fence was easy enough to clamber over. The door to the central facility was indeed locked (figures) but the side area, which I'm guessing is some employee living quarters or something, wasn't. Inside one of the desks was a purse. It was empty except for a pack of mints and a lighter. As I have no idea how to start a fire with a couple of sticks, the lighter will be incredibly useful. The purse... well, it doesn't match my eyes, heh, but it'll help carrying things around.

I'm about to leave, when I spy a shiny thing by one of the chairs. It's... a key? Hmm. Well, may as well try it out.

...

What do you know, it worked! Man, but the folks here have terrible security. Though, with the zombie apocalypse going on, I doubt I can really blame them.

Soon as I open the door, I find a long hallway lined with lockers. They seem to be stocked with hazmat suits and the sort. As I have no intention of irradiating myself, and seeing as how the suits are right there, I put one on. I do have to take my steel-toed boots off, but it's better than growing a third eye where my bellybutton should be.

There's also a radio in one of the lockers, so I grab that as well. No batteries, but I can gut it for parts later. I come to the end of the hall and open the door.

*GASP!*

It's...

It's...

It's beautiful...

Image

There, parked inside the facility, is a completely intact military cargo truck. I check it out, and it has a decent amount of diesel in it. This is brilliant! Armor-plated, great tires, adequate fuel, jackpot!

...

...

...but it looks like the controls to open the solid metal gates are busted, and I have no way of getting the truck out. Bloody hell, but that is disappointing. Well, maybe I can find a hose in this place as well as a few containers to siphon the fuel.



Day 01 - 1157h

Blast it, how can this place not have anything I can use to siphon fuel!? Oh forget it... I should get out of here, I'll only get more frustrated...

I head back to the bus and with a heavy heart, I leave the beautiful truck behind.



Day 01 - 1318h

Well now! I didn't have that long to be sad. The road through the forest eventually angled out to the west, and around fifteen minutes ago we exited the woods. The area was mostly open, and I could see a river to the south, as well as some distant forests to the north. To the west, I can see a few buildings. I can't see any signs of zombies though, so it might be a good idea to scout the area out for supplies.

We came to a crossroads soon after, and I would have continued west (personally, I find that it's easier to just keep driving in a straight line as I can just turn my brain off) but then I saw to the north that there was a farm. Still don't have much fuel left, but where there's a farm, there's food, so I decided to risk it.

Image

A quick look through the premises shows that there's a harvester in the shed, along with a few tools. The harvester doesn't have much diesel in it, but every little bit will help. What's better, is that I found a funnel, a jerrycan, and a hose! Now I can properly siphon fuel any time we run into a vehicle!

You know, this place doesn't look too bad. We might be able to hole up here and build a shelter. Plenty of land to farm, a forest nearby for wood, and a river to the south. What's the worst that could happen?

Though... now that I say that, I'm imagining all sorts of terrible things that could happen... It is relatively safe here, but it might also be a better idea to keep mobile. I'm not really sure.


>What should I do?_
Attachments
006.png
006.png (50.17 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
007.png
007.png (49.2 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Last edited by BMR on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Post Reply