Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Here's one of the first rooms in the game, with the player confronting some boogeymen. I often use symmetry in map designs but here it's especially important to the game's themes for reasons that will become clearer later on.
Attachments
Jeanne Finch: A salesbird who takes up residence in HQ. She can fly around and retrieve junk from all over the world and then sell it to Bob and friends at a semi-reasonable price.
Jeanne Finch: A salesbird who takes up residence in HQ. She can fly around and retrieve junk from all over the world and then sell it to Bob and friends at a semi-reasonable price.
Finch.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 10731 times
Command.png
Command.png (56.37 KiB) Viewed 10738 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu May 09, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Gelpoom: A golden mystery snail who works at a shop in HQ, slowly accumulating more goods. The character that most closely resembles me. They're just happy to be along for the ride.

Boogeymen: These figures don't have a final name yet but they're Walthros' equivalent of the Goobles in Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy, figures that you encounter on the map to start a battle, sized differently to tell you how tough the fight's going to be.

Glob (First draft): A telekinetic worm from a species that took a different evolutionary path from the rest of Walthros. Glob joins late in the game and can wear different jet packs to use different skill sets.
Attachments
Fun fact: Glob's design is based on those pencil grips everyone was crazy about in the early 90's.
Fun fact: Glob's design is based on those pencil grips everyone was crazy about in the early 90's.
GlobS.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 10692 times
Three sizes!
Three sizes!
Purple.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 10712 times
Snail Buddy
Snail Buddy
snail.png (2.12 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Tue May 14, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bird-Things (First Draft) - Rumor has it that this species comes from off world. They largely keep to themselves but are mostly friendly if you run into them. This particular one seems to be in a sour mood though!

Genie - A summoned monster from the original Walthros who makes a brief cameo here. Inspired by a Ninja Turtle beanbag.

Penguingo (First Draft) - A summoned monster who has appeared in a few different Walthros projects, The Penguingo bumps his big ol' belly into enemies to knock them out.
Attachments
Flip and flop
Flip and flop
Penguingo.gif (31.98 KiB) Viewed 10665 times
The Wish Granter
The Wish Granter
Genie.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 10667 times
The Ice Swimmer
The Ice Swimmer
BT2.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 10689 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri May 17, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Unnamed Squid Summon - A fire-based summoned monster who appears early in the game. Some form of this character sprite has appeared in several Super Walrus Games now, most notably as a coliseum fight in C. Kane.
Attachments
Squid Bro
Squid Bro
Squid.gif (43.04 KiB) Viewed 10647 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Ketchup - Casual and armored versions. While he was a playable character in the original game, Ketchup plays a very different role this time. Along with his brother Mustard, this agile mouse runs a battle coliseum.
Attachments
Ketchup.png
Ketchup.png (19.53 KiB) Viewed 10620 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Oh my god I love them. Mustard's outfit makes me especially happy. I cannot wait to see all of these characters in motion.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

The Wobbler wrote: Along with his brother Mustard, this agile mouse runs a battle coliseum.
Ketchup and Mustard as brothers is absolutely fantastic.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks, I'm glad you like them! Here's Ketchup and Mustard together for scale. One of my favorite things in putting together characters for this game has been mixing differently sized sprites.
Attachments
Mustard.png
Mustard.png (19.68 KiB) Viewed 10601 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri May 24, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Nerru - A frog. Suwanee’s boss at the item shop in Bayswater. He's got some big ideas for getting rich quick, but right now his business is just treading water.

Gus - A Birdthing. This dude was created for a different, long abandoned Walthros remake. He's one of Bob's coworkers and doesn't get involved the game's main story but does live his own interesting life.

Lydia - A cat who works with Bob and Gus at the dig site. Not a fan of her job, but it's work. She and Gus will appear in locations throughout the game and players who track them down can follow their own little story.
Attachments
Feeling blue
Feeling blue
Lydia-Small.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 10545 times
Gus 2019 vs. 2004
Gus 2019 vs. 2004
Gus.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 10550 times
Big Frog Bro
Big Frog Bro
Frog2.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 10574 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Work Crew - Bob, Gus, and Lydia on the job and off.

Cliftin - Seal. Salom’s ex-husband. Neither of them likes to talk about why things fell apart. Encouraged Salom to pursue his showbiz dreams, never really feeling comfortable with his partner’s private investigator job.

This is a character who was mentioned in a few supplemental works but never made it into a game proper. Almost none of the original Walthros characters discussed their family in any way in the other games. The remake places more emphasis on this aspect.

Fun Fact: Both Salom and Cliftin are named for misspellings of local, adjacent towns.
Attachments
Work Bros
Work Bros
WorkCrew.png (59.57 KiB) Viewed 10524 times
Suave Seal
Suave Seal
Cliftin.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 10526 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I love seeing all these characters. I feel like this game is really going to feel "alive"
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! One advantage of handling all the graphics myself is I don't have to feel guilty adding dozens and dozens of characters everywhere.

Sombra - A legendary cat warrior who's part cyborg, part vampire, part pirate. He emerges from the shadows in search of treasure and power. Fights with a laser sword. This guy might be trying a little too hard. What's his deal?
Attachments
Big Cat Guy
Big Cat Guy
Sombra.PNG (2.7 KiB) Viewed 10506 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I don't know whether Sombra is a villian or just bad tempted, but either way that sprite is full of personality! Lots of great artwork here. Love Cliftin too.

One thing that does bother me about Sombra is that both straps attached to his eyepatch go up, as if it's hanging loose. Normally the straps of an eyepatch would be opposite each other. Or is that not an eye patch?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! I will adjust that, but having it hanging loose and not really serving a purpose kind of fits Sombra's character for ways I won't go into yet.

Work in Progress - Here's my first pass at an outline for Lux, a hovering shark that serves as the game's first boss. Yes, sharks are airborne now!! All of the regular enemies for the first area are done so I've just got to finish this guy up and then put together the last cutscene. Edit: Updated with new sprite.

We don't just have airborne sharks, we've got dirt sharks too!!
Attachments
Dirt Shark
Dirt Shark
LandShark.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 10431 times
Shark Progress
Shark Progress
Lux.png (6.92 KiB) Viewed 10458 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Pigman: Here's a piggy.

Blobs: Worked on some elemental blobs last night, I hope they're cute and squishy enough!
Attachments
Four elemental chubby buddies
Four elemental chubby buddies
Blobs.png (5.84 KiB) Viewed 10383 times
Just an ordinary pig out for a walk
Just an ordinary pig out for a walk
PigS.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 10398 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.