Gamelist now contains screenshots

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Gamelist now contains screenshots

Post by Mogri »

Filed under "why didn't we do this sooner?"

The screenshot displayed is the most recent one you've attached to your listing.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

I think the first screenshot should be used rather than the last one. Because the screenshots in the game thread might have an order to present the game. The more important screenshots come first, probably the title screen.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Great! This is a good step towards making browsing for games more interesting, giving games a better chance to sell themselves.

It's too bad that so many games, even serious ones, have no screenshots! I just can't understand the thinking behind it.
(On the other hand I hope huge gifs don't become common.)

I would only half agree with Bird: if you upload a set of screenshots at once, perhaps the first one would be best, as he suggested. But if you update a game listing, more recent ones may be better.
But showing the most recent screenshot is a simple way to give people some control.
Last edited by TMC on Thu May 23, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:But showing the most recent screenshot is a simple way to give people some control.
This was my rationale. If you want to change the display screenshot, you shouldn't have to delete everything.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Grandtastic addition!
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Your arguments make sense. The old games actually look quite well presented, as some of them only use one screenshot.
TMC wrote:On the other hand I hope huge gifs don't become common.
That is important in our times of wireless internet connections, that can put your internet speed below the one of a Windows 95 computer. Minimalistic websites are therefore needed! Please don't use animations on the gamelist!
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

From what I can see, it seems like it's not always the most recent screenshot being used -- FYS:AHS and the 8-Bit Graphics Set are both displaying the last screenshot from the first batch I uploaded, rather than one of the ones I added later along with an updated version. Any idea what's causing this, and are anyone else's game listings doing the same thing?
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

The two games you have mentioned use the screenshot, that comes last in the list. However new screenshots are put at the beginning of the list.
When editing the post of your uploaded game, it is possible to delete all the screenshots once and reupload them again in the opposite order (in which they will be displayed). That means, that the first one, that is uploaded, will be the screenshot on the gamelist.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Looks good.
Now about defaulting to most recent games, instead of highest rated, when you click on the gamelist...
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun May 26, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Are you suggesting that the default view should be highest rated? That list does not change very often.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Also, thanks to Bird for pointing out that the gamelist was listing creation dates instead of last updated dates. This has been fixed.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

On that note, it would be nice if the upload date for each download was shown. You can only see the modified time for the game description, but have to rely on the downloads count to figure out whether any of the uploads were changed. Often people just modify the description.
Of course, if people are nice they put version numbers in the descriptions of the download.
However, I realise that showing too much info next to each download link is ugly, so I'm not sure you want to do that. I don't have a solution for that.

It's also annoying that if you attach multiple screenshots to a post that they're shown in the opposite order from which you attached them.
Last edited by TMC on Wed May 29, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.