26%
Both! (You monster)
42%

Total votes: 19

Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Vikings Revamp 2020

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Figured I should start up a new thread rather than junk up the other ones.

Still working on Vikings - I've made more progress on it in the last two months than I've made in the last 6 or so years. In fact, I'm now in something of a race to finish it up before the next big engine update (fingers crossed)! There's still a rather big list of things to do before then..

(1) Shuffle some enemies around in the battle formations and ensure everyone's got something useful to steal.
(2) More NPCs that tell you WHERE TO GO. Alternatively, I could try to add in a raven that hangs out in the player's inventory who makes snide comments about what you've done, and where you probably need to go next.
(3) Write a more satisfying conclusion to Freya's story. She kind of just.. shows up?
(4) Check again to make sure there's no way to pull off as many egregious sequence breaks. :hurr:
(5) Overhead wall checking. This one takes FOREVER!
(6) Spellchecking.. my personal bane!
(7) Finish revamping a few more battle backdrops. House interiors, lava caves, battles in front of gates, and of course the final battle - which is animated.
(8) Actually decide on the "new final boss"'s sprite. Do I go with a "Kefka's Tower" style boss rush, or go with something more like "Neo-Exdeath"? Decisions, decisions...
(9) The ending. It'll take a while to get the assets for it.
(10) Ending credits - still gathering the list of everyone who's ever helped the project or who's characters and ideas make appearances. Don't worry, it'll be alphabetized!
Attachments
Glowy!
Glowy!
Viking0020.gif (58.68 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Use the boss, that your heart tells you to use.

Vikings of Midgard is the most complete RPG here for the lovers of big, epic, great-looking RPG games on the old consoles. The community should use its full strength to make Vikings the best polished OHRRPGCE game out there. I am looking forward to test this in every detail, when the updates are ready.

By the way, do you know about the two ravens Hugin and Munin, that are often at Odins side? According to the mythology, these intelligent animals know a lot of stuff and so they would be perfect for some players guidance.
Last edited by Bird on Wed May 22, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Re: Vikings Revamp 2019

Post by TMC »

It's been wonderful to see work on VoM resume and move foward so surprisingly quickly!
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:In fact, I'm now in something of a race to finish it up before the next big engine update (fingers crossed)!
Oh, it's on!
Except I think you must be thinking of the G* release, since you suggested Gleipnir?
Why does it take forever? You're testing it in-game instead of just looking in the map editor?
Bird wrote:Vikings of Midgard is the most complete RPG here for the lovers of big, epic, great-looking RPG games on the old consoles.
Most complete? Well... here are some complete, full-length good/great-looking RPGs you may have missed
Boundless Ocean (alternative)
Spellshard: Black Crown of Horgoth
DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons
Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams
Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy
Oke�Doke�
Or some of Fenrir's other RPGs including Timestream Saga (can't vouch for that) and Vampire's Curse.
Last edited by TMC on Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

TMC wrote:It's been wonderful to see work on VoM resume and move foward so surprisingly quickly!

The secret is caffeine!
TMC wrote:Except I think you must be thinking of the G* release, since you suggested Gleipnir?
Yup that's the one! Though if The "G" release comes and goes and Gleipnir's no longer in the cards, feel free to suggest appropriate H/I/J sounding names like Heimdall, Idun, Jotunheim/Jormugandr and so on!
Why does it take forever? You're testing it in-game instead of just looking in the map editor
I'm a little old-school in that regard, and prefer to test both the overhead and wall checking bits at the same time - namely in a format the player would likely encounter.
Bird wrote:Vikings of Midgard is the most complete RPG here for the lovers of big, epic, great-looking RPG games on the old consoles.
Thank you! Though I think Spellshard and Sword of Jade might have a few things to say about that ;3
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

If you're checking your layering that way I hope you're at least making use of the Shift-Tab run-fast debug key!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Considering the gigantic efforts for the project of Vikings of Midgard, you could name the release after "Hymir".
TMC wrote:Boundless Ocean ([http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-d ... p?game=668]alternative[/url])
Spellshard: Black Crown of Horgoth
DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons
Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams
Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy
Oke?Doke?
Or some of Fenrir's other RPGs including Timestream Saga (can't vouch for that) and Vampire's Curse.
Thank you for the good recommendations. Though if Vikings will be complete, it will definetly be on the list of most complete games. What makes it being closer to the old, big commercial RPGs is the solid setting, that is less experimental than for example Kaiju, Boundless Ocean or Okedoke.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Spent most of this month touching up everything that leads to the endgame. There's a couple of scenes that have been completely re-worked, usually with clearer dialogue. Mostly there's more text boxes per scene on average, but the actual lines are a bit more concise and clearer this time around. For the most part this was done to fix up a bunch of place-names and stuff that were misspelled or worded awkwardly. See Muspelheim vs Niflheim. I'm sure there's still a bunch of inconsistencies in the attack/item descriptions too.

For the most part this checks off numbers 2,3,4,5, and 6 from my main list, although as time goes by I'm still looking back at different ways to incorporate #2 into the game. The gate to Helheim now has a number of statues that get added back to it depending on whether you've completed several of the game's main sub-quests, and the "true ending" only comes into play once you've gotten them all in place. I still want to add a reference to Odin's ravens Hugin and Munin (Foresight and Memory) whose only purpose is to remind you of what you've done, and maybe provide a hint or two on what to do next. The thought of opening up a satchel and having a bird stick its head out to talk seems hilarious to me, and it's probably the best addition I could make to the game to help crush the problem that happens when people keep getting lost. Of course back in my day we didn't NEED the game to tell you outright where to go next, but that's "Old Man" me talking.

Addressing the issue that is #1 should have been renamed "general battle balance revamp" and also included a general look-over of the various enemy strengths and weaknesses, as well as their attacks and how difficult overall they are to deal with. It seems like each time Vikings gets an update, the dragons in the first part of the game keep getting hit repeatedly with a metaphorical Nerf Bat, and at this point they're no stronger or weaker than any other foe.. which kind of takes the fear out of fighting a DRAGON, but there you have it. Undead in general are scarier than ever, thanks to their gimmick of reviving back to full health if they're not killed with an elemental attack. Of course by endgame, everyone has at least one way to deal elemental damage, but starting out, that's not always true. It's almost stupidly difficult to balance the game when there's so many combinations of characters you could possibly make.

Ah and Bena's been doing some AMAZING music revamps as well!
Attachments
Based of an actual location in Norway.
Based of an actual location in Norway.
Viking0029.gif (77.86 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
That's not how it works Renard, it's whoever's got the highest modifier...
That's not how it works Renard, it's whoever's got the highest modifier...
Viking0038.png (27.79 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
Is this a JoJo's reference?
Is this a JoJo's reference?
Viking0043.png (45.88 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
I wonder if she'll bring up that she changes appearance in each major update?
I wonder if she'll bring up that she changes appearance in each major update?
Viking0039.png (50.63 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

One month later - work on Vikings of Midgard continues at a break-neck pace.

This month was spent on the monolithic task of spotting spelling errors, wall passability checking, and Norse Mythology-ing up item/ability/place names where possible. A few scenes in particular have gotten something of a work-over as well, either to trim off some of the branches of the game's "Kudzu Plot" or to tie back in to the in-game mythos. Several key characters have also gotten some extra portraits to give them a bit more flair during scripted scenes.

I've also begun work on "the birds", which is an expansion/revamp of the game's main menu "information tab". Hugin and Munin - Odin's two ravens - now hang out in your inventory and can be consulted at any time for character details, plot and location information, and even provide advice on what the player should do next. The main reason I've begun work on expanding this is because new players to OHR games and RPGs in general, may or may not talk to every NPC, or they may skip through important key dialogue and thus miss out on where they're supposed to go.

I can't tell you how many times I've put down a game to try to figure out how to advance, then get confused when I come back to it because I don't remember what was going on when I left off. The ravens (Thought and Memory) are there to (A) offer advice on what to do next, and (B) remind the player of things they've heard about already. In general, the birds won't tell you EXACTLY what to do, but they'll cleverly hint at what you should be doing and what to look for. That's especially useful in the game's second half, where the game world really opens up. Moreover, they won't tell you things you're not supposed to know UNTIL you've already learned about them.

I'm still half convinced that all the NPCs in the game might need viking/norse mythology names where possible. ESPECIALLY the dwarves. There's like two dozen stanzas of nothing but dwarf names in the Eddas at least, so we're not running out of them for a while if I decide to delve deep here. I still say I should turn Nidavellir into a minigame hub. Just have a bunch of dwarves who go "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!...no refunds." Probably have a dude operating a shell game thing, and then another dwarf selling lootcrates.

Once the bird-menu is done (and possibly a bunch of NPC renaming for thematic reasons), there'll be only FOUR major things left to do. Firstly, a brand new opening to the game to replace the old one - the old intro is dated, boring, doesn't grab the player's interest quickly enough, and also lacks one of those spiffy new "Powered by OHRRPGCE" things. Secondly, designing the "new" Final Boss battle - right now it's too close to call between a single "stage" or a multi-part fight. Thirdly, the ending - unlike what I've previously suggested in the past, Vikings will have ONE ending sequence, but with expanded scenes depending on what the player's done - sort of like how Final Fantasy VI handles its ending sequence and epilogue. Finally... a new title screen and logo - I'm ending this journey where I started years ago - with the titlescreen being both the first piece of art and the last piece made for Vikings of Midgard.

Sometimes its the journey we take, and not the destination that matters.
Attachments
I think this is a War on Christmas reference?
I think this is a War on Christmas reference?
Viking0063.png (68.33 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
He makes a rhyme, every time.
He makes a rhyme, every time.
Viking0069.png (56.77 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Birds. For when you can't be bothered to talk to NPCs.
Birds. For when you can't be bothered to talk to NPCs.
Viking0076.png (48.15 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Alternative bird facts?
Alternative bird facts?
Viking0077.png (48.97 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
It's called character building, Renard. Embrace it!
It's called character building, Renard. Embrace it!
Viking0079.png (35.34 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Come on and slam. And welcome to the jam.
Come on and slam. And welcome to the jam.
Viking0081.png (70.97 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

There seem to be so many new ideas that have flown into your creation. Since when did "Night" turn into a wolf for example? We probably have to find it out by ourselves. Hugin looks a bit... insane. The will new music will also be interesting, but will it give us players goose bumps like the MIDIs? Enjoy your journey, Fenrir!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Bird wrote:There seem to be so many new ideas that have flown into your creation. Since when did "Night" turn into a wolf for example?
Since before she was named Night. Used to be a script tied to an accessory only she could equip, back when she was just called Shaman. Glad to see it making its way back into the new version.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Nathan Karr wrote:Since before she was named Night. Used to be a script tied to an accessory only she could equip, back when she was just called Shaman. Glad to see it making its way back into the new version.
I had originally intended for every character to have something of an "alternate costume" that they would get by either equipping a particular item, or as a visual indication that they had learned all their abilities or 100%'d their sub-quests. The alternate outfits now come up after a certain event, though I'll admit that some have more drastic changes than others - Night being the most dramatic change of course.

As far as the unique accessories go (and a few others), they have been reworked to take advantage of the new system in the engine that allows equipment to be worn in multiple slots. This was mainly done because the bonuses they provide are so small as to make doubling or tripling up on them a potentially viable option, but also because I had originally conceived of a party member who's gimmick was that you couldn't control them (Like Umaro from FFVI?) but they would be able to equip anything. This seemed like the better way to go.

EDIT: Items in multiple slots would of course have been a thing in Vikings. It's the "Flagship Title", so of course it's going to try to make use of as many features as possible that the engine's capable of!
Attachments
Well it's appropriate at least?
Well it's appropriate at least?
Viking0088.png (25.28 KiB) Viewed 4594 times
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

The opening introduction is completely re-done. A "powered by OHRRPGCE" splash screen, a new opening scene that actually establishes the game's plot, show off some nifty animation, and fills in a few plot holes has been worked in - it's a bit longer than the original, but it's needed.

I've also done some small tweaks to the travel and teleportation animations throughout the game - calling the rainbow bridge Bifrost makes the screen subtly shift hues, and Cthulhu has a MUCH better "poofing away" animation rather than the dismal "enemy flashes in and out a few times" that Final Fantasy 4 did. Nothing major, but it's a nice touch. Additionally, EVERY Inn now runs off the same standardized script. It's faster by far.

"True final battle" is done. It feels like the most satisfying final boss to a project that I've done so far. Very neat stuff going on there - you would almost swear that battlescripting was a thing now!

The ending is the last MAJOR thing to be done (well, aside from the music). Don't worry, I'm not going to use Komm, süßer Tod for the finale :v:
Attachments
The new Inn script in action. Gotta go fast!
The new Inn script in action. Gotta go fast!
Viking0119.gif (660.72 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
Dio, I mean Cthulhu, you fiend!
Dio, I mean Cthulhu, you fiend!
Viking0103.gif (281.11 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
Oh no! I pushed the button!
Oh no! I pushed the button!
Viking0108.png (60.52 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
This one ISN'T a JoJo's reference.
This one ISN'T a JoJo's reference.
Viking0098.png (35.68 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
Final destination, no items, Freki only.
Final destination, no items, Freki only.
Final Battle BG.png (304.06 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

THAT'S THE HISTORY ERASER BUTTON, YOU FOOL!
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Took a bit of a hiatus for personal reasons, but it's good to be back in the saddle one more time. The only thing remaining on my part is to draw up a BUNCH of backgrounds for the post-game epilogue - at least one for each of the major characters, and a few semi-major NPCs.
Attachments
ã‚´ ã‚´ ã‚´ ã‚´
ã‚´ ã‚´ ã‚´ ã‚´
Viking0005.png (48.3 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Perfect timing!

Just dropped an alpha version of Blood Ledger for another round of playtesting and will be spending the next week or two on Vikings music.