30% (4)
Total Votes: 13
Metal Slime
Vikings Revamp 2019 
 PostMon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Viking0020.gif
Glowy!
Figured I should start up a new thread rather than junk up the other ones.

Still working on Vikings - I've made more progress on it in the last two months than I've made in the last 6 or so years. In fact, I'm now in something of a race to finish it up before the next big engine update (fingers crossed)! There's still a rather big list of things to do before then..

(1) Shuffle some enemies around in the battle formations and ensure everyone's got something useful to steal.
(2) More NPCs that tell you WHERE TO GO. Alternatively, I could try to add in a raven that hangs out in the player's inventory who makes snide comments about what you've done, and where you probably need to go next.
(3) Write a more satisfying conclusion to Freya's story. She kind of just.. shows up?
(4) Check again to make sure there's no way to pull off as many egregious sequence breaks. Hurr
(5) Overhead wall checking. This one takes FOREVER!
(6) Spellchecking.. my personal bane!
(7) Finish revamping a few more battle backdrops. House interiors, lava caves, battles in front of gates, and of course the final battle - which is animated.
(8) Actually decide on the "new final boss"'s sprite. Do I go with a "Kefka's Tower" style boss rush, or go with something more like "Neo-Exdeath"? Decisions, decisions...
(9) The ending. It'll take a while to get the assets for it.
(10) Ending credits - still gathering the list of everyone who's ever helped the project or who's characters and ideas make appearances. Don't worry, it'll be alphabetized!
Every day's a sale. Every sale a win.
Red Slime

PostWed May 22, 2019 8:40 am
Use the boss, that your heart tells you to use.

Vikings of Midgard is the most complete RPG here for the lovers of big, epic, great-looking RPG games on the old consoles. The community should use its full strength to make Vikings the best polished OHRRPGCE game out there. I am looking forward to test this in every detail, when the updates are ready.

By the way, do you know about the two ravens Hugin and Munin, that are often at Odins side? According to the mythology, these intelligent animals know a lot of stuff and so they would be perfect for some players guidance.
Metal King Slime
Re: Vikings Revamp 2019 
 PostWed May 22, 2019 10:52 am
It's been wonderful to see work on VoM resume and move foward so surprisingly quickly!

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
In fact, I'm now in something of a race to finish it up before the next big engine update (fingers crossed)!

Oh, it's on!
Except I think you must be thinking of the G* release, since you suggested Gleipnir?

Quote:

Why does it take forever? You're testing it in-game instead of just looking in the map editor?

Bird wrote:
Vikings of Midgard is the most complete RPG here for the lovers of big, epic, great-looking RPG games on the old consoles.

Most complete? Well... here are some complete, full-length good/great-looking RPGs you may have missed
Boundless Ocean (alternative)
Spellshard: Black Crown of Horgoth
DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons
Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams
Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy
OkéDoké
Or some of Fenrir's other RPGs including Timestream Saga (can't vouch for that) and Vampire's Curse.
Metal Slime
 PostWed May 22, 2019 11:17 am
TMC wrote:
It's been wonderful to see work on VoM resume and move foward so surprisingly quickly!

The secret is caffeine!

TMC wrote:
Except I think you must be thinking of the G* release, since you suggested Gleipnir?

Yup that's the one! Though if The "G" release comes and goes and Gleipnir's no longer in the cards, feel free to suggest appropriate H/I/J sounding names like Heimdall, Idun, Jotunheim/Jormugandr and so on!

Quote:
Quote:

Why does it take forever? You're testing it in-game instead of just looking in the map editor

I'm a little old-school in that regard, and prefer to test both the overhead and wall checking bits at the same time - namely in a format the player would likely encounter.

Bird wrote:
Vikings of Midgard is the most complete RPG here for the lovers of big, epic, great-looking RPG games on the old consoles.

Thank you! Though I think Spellshard and Sword of Jade might have a few things to say about that ;3
Every day's a sale. Every sale a win.
Metal King Slime
 PostWed May 22, 2019 12:44 pm
If you're checking your layering that way I hope you're at least making use of the Shift-Tab run-fast debug key!
Red Slime
 PostWed May 22, 2019 4:51 pm
Considering the gigantic efforts for the project of Vikings of Midgard, you could name the release after "Hymir".

TMC wrote:
Boundless Ocean ([http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=668]alternative[/url])
Spellshard: Black Crown of Horgoth
DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons
Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams
Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy
Oke?Doke?
Or some of Fenrir's other RPGs including Timestream Saga (can't vouch for that) and Vampire's Curse.

Thank you for the good recommendations. Though if Vikings will be complete, it will definetly be on the list of most complete games. What makes it being closer to the old, big commercial RPGs is the solid setting, that is less experimental than for example Kaiju, Boundless Ocean or Okedoke.