Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

My big dark secret: I actually don't like Walrus Man very much in his old appearances. I'm keeping him around and revising him but he probably won't be what old players expect.

Yuk Deluxe was hard to do too much with originally because he was a missable character, I didn't want him to be too important to the plot. The current plan is he'll be a boss fight who then joins the party as a temporary member.
Attachments
A flying space dolphin in a foul mood
A flying space dolphin in a foul mood
Dolphin.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 7311 times
What happened to Salom?
What happened to Salom?
Salom.png (8.76 KiB) Viewed 7313 times
Walrus Man First Draft
Walrus Man First Draft
Walrus.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
Suwanee - 2nd draft. This character design is still evolving but I think she looks more like a goose now.
Suwanee - 2nd draft. This character design is still evolving but I think she looks more like a goose now.
Geese.png (15.29 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Dinosaur Giant: The Big Doofus is back! Since this game won't show the entire party on the map screen I'm freer to use very different body sizes for heroes so I'm making this guy huge this time around. Pictured with Bob for scale.
Attachments
Dinosaur.png
Dinosaur.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Dinosaur Giant! Can't go wrong with that guy.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

A couple months ago I started working on a platformer that didn't end up going anywhere. The hero was this oddly-shaped pink cat. I've redrawn them for use as an NPC in Walthros: Renewal. There's going to be a lot more cats this time!
Attachments
Cat.PNG
Cat.PNG (1.75 KiB) Viewed 7288 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Cats used to be my favorite animal and pink used to be my favorite color. Two things I still greatly enjoy.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I like the look of that weird bubble-gum cat-head monster :)
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

He kind of reminds me of a "Nu" from Chrono Trigger.

If that's any indication of things to come, I think we're in for a truly MAGICAL adventure! :D
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The cats are rubbery blobs but not particularly magical, aside from as much as real cats are magical.

Some of the existing characters are getting overhauls. Here's an updated Salom and Dinosaur Super.
Attachments
Dinosaur Super (First draft): She leads the heroic Dinosaur Triple but is a little too concerned with the team’s marketing angle. Has both white magic and non-elemental black magic. Has wings but cannot fly. Moderately long neck.
Dinosaur Super (First draft): She leads the heroic Dinosaur Triple but is a little too concerned with the team’s marketing angle. Has both white magic and non-elemental black magic. Has wings but cannot fly. Moderately long neck.
DinosaurS.png (5.61 KiB) Viewed 7256 times
Salom got a nice new jacket.
Salom got a nice new jacket.
Capture.PNG (2.94 KiB) Viewed 7259 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Hard Hat Salom is so cool! Salom was always one of my favorites (admiteddly starting your game portfolio with Gato Suico where he was basically the straight man always carried over into my opinions of him in other games when I went to play those later).
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

New Salom will be a combination of a few different versions of the character. He should be fun to play!

Dinosaur Triple's all done now. Micro is now the team's primary buffing character so he'll be a lot more useful this time around. He's the peppy member of the team who cheers up his friends and makes them stronger.

Scottie: A CEO at the top of the Tengun City elite who turns Bob’s heroics into a marketing opportunity. A complete slimeball. Scottie serves as an antagonist in the game's second act and is the kind of enemy you can't defeat in battle.
Attachments
Scottie.png
Scottie.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
Dinosaurs.png
Dinosaurs.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 7236 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

That image of Scottie is perfect.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Tapir Twins (First Draft) in honor of World Tapir Day. There's been a lot of long-nosed wobblers in Walthros games before but somehow never a tapir! Time to fix that mistake.

Woo (First Draft) - The most heavily redesigned character appearance. Loves pranks and singing. Her dreams are put on hold while she’s sent on a mission to defeat a demon. Can see across short distances of time and space. Fights using random abilities.
Attachments
This rabbit doesn't have a name yet. Doesn't say much, either. I wouldn't cross them.
This rabbit doesn't have a name yet. Doesn't say much, either. I wouldn't cross them.
Rabbit.png (9.84 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
Woo.png
Woo.png (2.09 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
TapirTwins.png
TapirTwins.png (18.91 KiB) Viewed 7205 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Yuk Deluxe: A secret character from the original Walthros returns and he's huge! Yuk has an actual role in the story this time and will be a temporary party member.
Attachments
Walthros20190011.gif
Walthros20190011.gif (1.82 MiB) Viewed 7175 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

These walkabouts have such fantastic style. I am loving the look
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

These character designs are all very amusing :)

I should mention that recently I started implementing 'large' heroes/NPCs with multi-tile 'hitboxes', e.g. 2x1, 2x2, which would be useful for huge NPCs. It seems it's actually pretty straightforward to implement, except pathfinding is a little tricky. I didn't continue working on it because the person I was implementing it for said he didn't need it, but I'd like to continue.