Dev log! Where's yours?
Sat down to start mocking up graphics. Had to replace my mouse: faulty right button. Been ignoring it. Took a mouse from a box of spare parts and removed the BROKEN sticker. Mislabelled?
Next, replaced my keyboard because I couldn't see what any of the keys were. About 5 years ago I swapped the keys to Dvorak layout, but never learnt it. When hitting shortcuts in grafx2 with one hand I want to look at the keyboard.
I always use inputtest.rpg
for testing my keyboard. I have a loooot of unlabelled broken keyboards to avoid.
Spent ages deciding which game resolution to use. Chalk Flower was discussing it with me anyway; he started it. He went for 560x320, I decided on 560x340. Looks good (filling most of the screen without looking like a mismatched aspect ratio) at 2x zoom on a 1280x1024 (older monitors) or 1280x800 (netbook), and 3x zoom on a 1920x1080 (decent widescreen LCD). gfx_sdl2 and gfx_directx do fractional zoom levels anyway, and I'll implement the same in gfx_sdl.
Higher res means smoother gradients. It's all about the gradients. Mocked up some gradients.
Drew a hero sprite! It's the wrong size for my resolution.
Hawk is all doom and gloom already. So I tried to help him out by telling him how to do his job.