Vikings Music Project!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Vikings Music Project!

Post by ArtimusBena »

For those who missed it, I'll be putting out a revamped soundtrack! I don't know if Moogle wants to do something for his tracks, so those may just stay as they are.

These songs will either go into the game or simply be offered as a standalone extra, your choice! Which brings me to why I'm starting a thread. Since these will be audio, I won't be able to offer these new versions as edit-able files to the community. So to continue the Vikings legacy of community spirit, I'd like to post up works in progress, and you guys will have a chance to tell me what you like/don't like, what you'd like to hear added; whatever comes to mind!

Here's what I've done with the intro:

https://soundcloud.com/eponym_ent/vikin ... gard-title

And now a rendition of "Asgard"! It's pretty.

https://soundcloud.com/eponym_ent/asgard
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, nice!
Because I use Vikings as a test game, I've heard that title track so many times. This sounds so much fresher than the MIDI, and it gives a much stronger sense of fantasy, somehow.
Compared to the original, this version is vastly shorter than the original 7:16! It's only the very first segment of the original. Honestly the original is really drawn out with frequent changes, I guess you were having fun experimenting. Title music doesn't haven't be very long. Still, I really liked the first couple minutes of the original, so I wouldn't say this supersedes it. I'm not saying it can't replace the original in the game. Still, I'm not such a big fan of the way this closes after the 0:29 mark.
I wonder whether the original title track is used anywhere else in the game?
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Okay! I was kind of thinking the same thing about the original length, and thought I miiiight include at least the next part, but I probably would have left this as-is if you hadn't mentioned it. Now I'm definitely adding in the next part!

I think the reason I made it so long before was so you could leave it on the title screen for a while if you wanted, but not get bored with it like a DVD menu or something haha.
I'm not such a big fan of the way this closes after the 0:29 mark.
Do you mean what's happening with the music itself, or just that it starts to close so early?
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well, both. It seems like it's hastily finishing up at a not terribly natural point to do so. Although, I think you did a pretty reasonable job of it regardless; I even after listening to how you did it, I can't imagine how to get the piece to wrap up quickly from that point.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

New track, "Asgard" added to original post. No worries! I'll be coming back to give these songs a second draft after I've gone through the list.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

I've updated the soundcloud with everything so far if you've missed anything and would like a chance to comment - I write down all feedback

12 tracks in the works thus far:
https://soundcloud.com/eponym_ent/sets/ ... n-progress
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Listened to your tracks while I worked tonight. Really great stuff. They sound really excellent man!
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Hey, that's very nice to hear Red! Glad you're digging it :)
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Wow, nearly a year later!

The Vikings of Midgard soundtrack will be available on Soundcloud for streaming, as a download on Slime Salad, and on Bandcamp. Soon. Well, soonish.

Or you can just play the full game when it's out.

You could do that too, ya know.
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Wed May 20, 2020 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.