Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Okay, so I've logged in many, many hours trying to get the final contest results into a solid presentable form, and I still have a few more hours to go. But, I think I can confidently say that our results week can begin next Sunday, March 10th.

Yes, I said results week.

Here's the plan:

I'll be finishing the postmortem and results chart on Monday, March 4th. I could've finished it last week, but I've been reviewing my gameplay videos for reporting accuracy, so I've taken longer than usual to get this done. The fact that we have 21 games (compared to last season's 10) adds to this delay. Fortunately, I have just four videos left to review, one short one to record, and possibly one to rerecord if I can stand it, all of which I can finish by Monday night. The chart will definitely be finished when I finish reviewing the videos.

I'll be sending the postmortem article to James to host on Hamster Republic as soon as it's finished, proofread, and edited. I can't say when he'll upload it, but my guesstimate is by Thursday. Only he knows when it'll go live for sure. However, regardless when it goes live, I won't be publicizing it until Sunday the 10th.

Why?

Results week.

On Sunday, we'll kick off Heart of the OHR 2018's grand finale with the great reveal of the contest rankings via the postmortem, probably around 6 p.m. EST. Then, starting Monday, March 11th, I'll be releasing four gameplay videos a day, beginning with Arc Wars at 10 a.m. EST, and continuing with Asphodelus at 1 p.m., Bale at 4 p.m., and Birdcaged at 7 p.m., all EST. This trend will likely continue alphabetically until Friday night, with the release of You Need a Hero at 7 p.m. At this point, I still don't know if there will be a video for Zalag: Glustu, as it greatly deviates from the type of games I allow on my channel. If there is one, it will air at 10 p.m., Friday, March 15th.

On Saturday, March 16th, I'll announce the new prize I'd like to offer the top 5 winners.*

*The prize is conditional, to be discussed on or after the 16th.

Most of the videos are done and produced, so all that's left is to upload them. Processing times are insane, however; otherwise I'd start posting them this Monday (with two per day instead of four). I'd rather contain it all to a single week, and I think next week is easier to achieve, so that's the target time, and I'm pretty sure it's realistic.

I'll let you know if anything changes.

P.S. I try to keep the videos fun and accessible, even for the games that aren't either. It's another reason it's taking me so long to finish this project. I hope you'll watch them.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Last night I put together a short introduction to the upcoming video series of this season's games. Or, at least that was my intention. Somehow I ended up making an introduction to the actual contest and turned it into a recruitment video for 2020. It's also kind of weird.

This is what happens when you make things without a script:

Enjoy. The official release calendar for each video is displayed at the end.

P.S. I submitted the results for Web hosting two nights ago. It's our most complete retrospective yet. I'll be posting about it Sunday evening. Keep watching for updates.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

These videos will do good for making the OHR more popular. A handful of websites recommend to the RPG enthusiasts that complicated RPG-Maker and don't even mention our OHRRPGCE.

Although I would have shorten the video, used some footage of the actual engine and maybe shown some gameplay of the previous winners, it gives a full overview about HotOHR. Probably pictures could just have said a bit more than words here.

So the winner seems to be cemented, but where will the rest of the pack rank up?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I'm probably going to do something a little less thrown together for 2020. I really wasn't planning on doing the introduction at all, but I thought for the sake of the YouTube channel, I should announce to my subscribers that something was in the works. Also, I needed an outlet for the release schedule.

I think it's fine for now. Honestly, the best way to get attention for the OHR is for people to start getting the word out about it. If the OHR is missing from the list of great RPG makers, then we need to tell the authors of those lists about it. They may simply not know about it, thanks to SEO burying the results.

That said, it's time for the moment you've all been waiting for.

But first...

Nah, screw that. Here you go, the results for Heart of the OHR 2018, now in a new sexy format.

https://mirror.motherhamster.org/hotohr/2018/

Also, here is the link to my channel for the upcoming videos. They should go live at the times listed below each window, starting tomorrow. Make sure to subscribe (and ring the bell) to get the alert when they go live. You can also view them in the Heart of the OHR 2018 playlist.

Game: Arc Wars
Live Date and Time: Monday, March 11 at 10 a.m. EST.

Game: Asphodelus
Live Date and Time: Monday, March 11 at 1 p.m. EST.

Game: Bale
Live Date and Time: Monday, March 11 at 4 p.m. EST.

Game: Birdcaged
Live Date and Time: Monday, March 11 at 7 p.m. EST.

Game: Dark Planet
Live Date and Time: Tuesday, March 12 at 10 a.m. EST.

Game: Dreamwalkers
Live Date and Time: Tuesday, March 12 at 1 p.m. EST.

Game: Drydocks: A Merchant RPG
Live Date and Time: Tuesday, March 12 at 4 p.m. EST.

Game: False Skies
Live Date and Time: Tuesday, March 12 at 7 p.m. EST.

Game: Hero: Adventure in Animal Kingdom
Live Date and Time: Wednesday, March 13 at 10 a.m. EST.

Game: Hinterlands: Pilgrimage
Live Date and Time: Wednesday, March 13 at 1 p.m. EST.

Game: Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy
Live Date and Time: Wednesday, March 13 at 4 p.m. EST.

Game: Masks: 15 Pages
Live Date and Time: Wednesday, March 13 at 7 p.m. EST.

Game: My Little Pony: Trixie's Adventure on the Rock Farm
Live Date and Time: Thursday, March 14 at 10 a.m. EST.

Game: One Pirate: Adventure in the Crystal Cave
Live Date and Time: Thursday, March 14 at 1 p.m. EST.

Game: One Pirate: Adventure in Summer Island
Live Date and Time: Thursday, March 14 at 4 p.m. EST.

Game: Px
Live Date and Time: Thursday, March 14 at 7 p.m. EST.

Game: really hard game
Live Date and Time: Friday, March 15 at 10 a.m. EST.

Game: Rolling, Radical Revolution
Live Date and Time: Friday, March 15 at 1 p.m. EST.

Game: Trytuges
Live Date and Time: Friday, March 15 at 4 p.m. EST.

Game: You Need a Hero
Live Date and Time: Friday, March 15 at 7 p.m. EST.

Game: Season Finale (featuring Zalag: Glustu)
Live Date and Time: Friday, March 15 at 10 p.m. EST.

Enjoy. We'll close the ceremonies on Saturday. Feel free to talk about your games, rankings, achievements, et cetera in the meantime.

For those who like to binge, I'll post direct links to all of the videos on Saturday.
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

wow, this was definitely worth the wait. a great read!
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Congratulations TheWobbler!

And PepsiRanger, thanks so much for all the effort you've put in, and continue to put in.

Great efforts all around!
vvight.wordpress.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I found a few grammatical errors and two egregious copy/paste errors in the achievements sections for two games (including yours, guo) after the 6:00 launch. Hopefully they'll be fixed soon, but they shouldn't get in the way of your reading. Thanks again to all who participated.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks, I'm happy to see so many games by newer users this year even if I only had a chance to play a couple. I personally didn't vote, thought it would be unfair without playing more.

Anyway, I want to give an additional gift card prize to the top five winners. I'll PM each of you later this week.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

The Wobbler wrote:Anyway, I want to give an additional gift card prize to the top five winners. I'll PM each of you later this week.
And as first place winner, you get a choice of which characters and medium I draw fan art in.

For everyone else, I'm just going to doodle my favorite in MSPaint.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Man, I wasn't expecting something that substantial for the HOTOHR writeup.

Congrats to the other 4 people in the top 3. I'll try and draw up some fanarty stuff myself when I get the opportunity/desire to.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Asphodelus hopefully gets a bit more controllable. It deserves more than 17th. My two favourites were the 6th placed Drydocks and 5th placed Hinterlands. Forget the graphics of the latter one, the setting of the primitive village is even enhanced by primitve graphics! Both games will become great with more testing.

It's also good to see that some, let's say, voter's personal anger didn't interfere with the result of 2nd placed Bale and 3rd placed False Skies. Too many votes formed strong suspensions to absorb single road holes. That being said, I will charge with full strengh to the podium next time with a translated version of Rolling, Radical Revolution. More ideas streamed in.

Still, this contest is not all about scores and rankings. The backmarker games had their flaws for sure, but in a trashy way, they sometimes bring up moments of great creativity, that you wouldn't find in an excessively polished one. Why does everything needs to make sense? Do graphics need to be a high resolution? Please keep on experimenting, even if the reception is not the most positive.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Nathan Karr wrote:And as first place winner, you get a choice of which characters and medium I draw fan art in.

For everyone else, I'm just going to doodle my favorite in MSPaint.
Thank you Nathan Karr, I'd love nothing more than to see a picture of a character you make out of clay/dough/modeling material of your choice. Any character is fine. Whoever speaks to your heart.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

The season finale just went live. You can watch them all now, if you haven't already.

I'll be closing out results week and Heart of the OHR 2018 tomorrow. Stay tuned.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Woot. Congrats everybody. You made a thing!
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Thanks again to everyone who has participated in this year's contest. Thanks also to everyone who has contributed a prize. You can check the original post for information on who is awarding what prizes to which winners in the section marked "Prizes."

If you are one of the people awarding a prize, be sure to review what you're offering and let us know if you need/want to make any amendments. Most of us understand that circumstances can change over time. If you want to offer a better prize than what you suggested ten months ago, please do. If you can no longer provide the prize you wanted to offer, please let us know that as well. If you offered a prize and then went AWOL, well, there's always one of you.

For my part, I want to remind all contestants that you can get free copies of any e-book I've posted at Smashwords if you're the kind of person who enjoys reading fiction. Just let me know which ones you want and I'll send you a coupon for 100% off.

Regarding the Steam games prize, the original prize has changed to accommodate our first place winner. Instead of issuing one of my favorites, I am going to gift copies of Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy, the full version, to our second through sixth place winners (and possibly to our seventh place winner if I can afford it). If you are in the top 33% of winners, I'll be asking for your Steam name soon-ish to gift you the game. I would also like to gift a copy of Kenshi to our second place winner, as the Wobbler has deferred on that one. If anyone ranked two through six already has a copy of Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy, then I will award it to the next person on the list. Ultimately, I would like to gift five copies, with the possibility of a sixth, to our top contestants.

Regarding the time it will take to receive this prize, I am not rich, my car is old, and I spent a night in the hospital during the contest window, so I will be offering these prizes gradually. The second place winner will get his copy of Kaiju Big Battel first, likely in the next week or two (and he should PM me his Steam name as soon as he sees this announcement). Everyone else will get a PM from me when I'm about to send the game. I expect to issue the prizes into the summer. Anyone in the top 6 who does not want a copy of the game should PM me soon so I can award it to the next person in line.

That should cover everything. Once again, thanks to everyone who has participated in the 2018 season. Heart of the OHR 2020 will begin on May 1, 2020 and last until December 20, 2020.

On that note, I want to remind everyone who plans to enter the next season that you should be working on your entries as soon as possible. The next window will be here before you know it. Also, if you're going to want your game recorded for YouTube, keep it mild. I spent way too long blurring offensive dialogue from some of our 2018 entries, and I won't put that amount of time into next season's videos. I'll still permit them into the contest, of course, but the amount of attention I'll give them will be next to none. This is your warning.

Finally, I want to emphasize that I'll be returning as host for Heart of the OHR 2020, as it will mark our tenth anniversary, but I make no plans or promises beyond that. I want the contest to continue for as long as the community wants to keep it around, but I'm personally getting tired, so I would like to potentially pass it on to a new host by 2022. Again, I make no plans or promises about any of this, and I could very well keep going for another two or three seasons, but each one has taken a bit more out of me than the one before, and this year, while it was our best since the debut season in my opinion, has definitely taken the most. I'm pretty sure I'll want the break after 2020. I'm also curious to see what a new host might do with it. I realize I could make these thoughts clearer when we get to the end of the next contest, but I wanted to mention it now in case there are no more Heart of the OHR contests after 2020, which is likely if no one takes over when I hang up the towel. So, the moral of the story is that if you've never participated in the Heart of the OHR and you've always wanted to, 2020 is your year.

I'll let you guys know for sure what I plan to do when the next one closes. For now, keep working. The contest is only as good as you make it.