OHR One-Room Contest 2019

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Mom's Home

These graphics are great (i know, i know, Kylekrack. had to say it though)

Nice touch to show the chair feet marks on the floor as a hint. Stuff like this makes puzzles more fun. Kind of like how people say if the controls are responsive then when they have trouble it's on them.

The time limit gives it a nice replay-ability, though I'm sure most players will find it frustrating. I think it helps make it feel more like a game and less like a puzzle, and it's wrapped into the narrative context nicely. Puzzles aren't usually my jam, but I do like creative ones like this where it's grounded and not too abstract. Given there's not too many options, it's kind of like the point and click adventures where you click all your options on the interaction object to see what works.

It's short and sweet. I like your mouse buddy. This game really captures what you can do with one room and limiting the scope. There's a decent bit of world-building here and I could see this being part of a larger game. It was a pleasant time.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Snakeway

God bless Nathan. Been looking forward to playing this... within seconds someone is nom'ed. Life is wonderful.

You know, this isn't the first time I've been in a stomach dungeon in the ohr. Probably won't be the last.

Going full ham sandwich with that pirate talk. Clamshells joke, nice. The characters are fun. These sprites are great, you really nailed the 8bit aesthetic. (edit i see in the credits you used them from Fnrrf. Still, good stuff. He has that style on lock down.) I like the ambition with the custom font, but it's hard to read; the lowercase is uppercase but smaller? IT'S LIKE EVERYBODY IS YELLING. Maybe it would work better retro-wise if it were uniform?

Another finished-with-ending game? Nice. Short and sweet. Was expecting it to be longer. I like the concept of the first boat section. It's a neat survival mechanic that could be expanded on, like killing the fish to stock up on meat to survive. Real solid stuff here, and good world building too. Good example of doing a lot with one room. A fun micro adventure.
Last edited by charbile on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Star Ranger

Naughty, naughty. Not including that game.exe Another person added to my secret list.

This game not only looks great, but I love the attention to the full package here. The sound is on point. Seconds into it and I feel like this is going to be something special. Solid presentation. Dang, all the way down to custom text for full screen and windowed.

First person battles! Plays great. Real gunfights, massive damage on single hits. Two hits and you're done. Usually I'd fight everyone, but here it makes sense to avoid battles, and I like how the map opens up to allow for it a bit in the open section of the train. There's no way this is a 50x50 map. Going to be honest, abusing the esc button here. No idea how I'd put in a boss with this setup, can't fault you.

Good hype for your upcoming game. Like a playable teaser. Shows how the basic ohr package without scripts is still pretty solid. The tall walkabouts help a lot. Good stuff.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Games in order of rating

Battle Royale
Very impressive and unique for being made in like, a day.

Vault
A good, solid game. I like how the characters got stat boosts by finding blue diamond treasures, it adds customization and replay value.

Star Ranger
A fast paced game with a nice graphical style. We need more wild west rpgs.

Snake Way
I really have nothing bad to say about this game, its a good bread and butter rpg adventure with some colorful main characters in a bizarre dungeon. Only reason it isnt ranked higher is I liked the other games more, it's a decent game overall.

Mom's Home
An enjoyable, short puzzle game. I thought the time limit was a great idea because it motivated me to focus on the puzzle.

Camomile Tea
I liked the mechanic of talking, but it didnt really impress me and felt mostly arbitrary. Also backtracking after every boss felt like pointless grind. This game was way too deep for me but I did catch an OFF reference in the diologue, neat.
Working as intended!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Thanks for the vote, Idontknow. We now have more votes than games, which is a good thing, in my eye.

@charbile, I don't suppose you've posted reviews of the games in order from your favorite to least favorite? I'm not certain whether I should take them as a vote or just reviews.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Playing through Vault, just reviewed them in alphabetical order like a boring person. I know the feeling of posting a game and not seeing much talk about it, so thought I'd write something about each. Having stopped by the discord chat, I see where the real banter is at. Talking about games is easy, making them is rough. I mean, half the fun of releasing OHR games is seeing people's reactions. The other half is finding yourself in someone else's game. We're checking off everything on the list here.

Haven't finished Vault, but safe to say I'll likely order them as (in a mix of personal and professional opinion, but more professional. maybe a 30/70 mix):

Vault
Mom's Home
Star Ranger
Snake Way
Chamomile Tea

you guys weren't kidding when you said they were all great. really dislike rankings as i dont want to discourage anyone but i get it's a contest. they each are number one in what they set out to do. every one of them deserves a seat at the big boy table
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Vault

A shortcut to run the game? Kind of smart, but doesn't work for me though.

Whoever made this has a pretty high power level. (lol pretending not to know who.) I could see this being a gameboy advance game. Attack frames are great, has that Fire Emblem motion blur.

I think this would be a good game to study, graphics wise. This is how you don't get bogged down with focusing on unnecessary detail but still have it look so dang polished.

Phantasy Star vibes with the soundscape, enemy design, and upon entering the first indoor section. All the way down to how the text for gaining an item animates and the diamonds you find them in. Nice attention to detail.

After dying several times, realized you're supposed to use the treasure you find. Just assumed if the game was going to grade me on how much I find, then items were points. It's on me though as the items are very specifically named. It's fun treasure hunting when every item is a new skill or permanent stat increase. Had trouble with the last boss until I got over what I assume most rpg players struggle with: actually using your one-use power items in a battle.

It's very clever and creative to use what I assume is maptile layering to essentially have several maps on one.

so

all that polish, a real deal rpg experience.

Here's my one problem though, and this is talk only for kids at the big table.

Scratch that. I wrote what I guess was a big monologue. I can do better. hm. Was just about what comes after you acquire a solid technical profiency. The bigger picture. I gotta stop, i'm starting up again. dang.

Specifically about Vault, Feenicks has the goods. I'm not one for all those random battles, but it's more than that. What I liked about, say, Mom's House was the sense of what is going on. It's very grounded. I say I like the abstract games but even they have to be grounded in whatever wacky/weird way they choose. Grounded as in: conflict, world's logic, goals, characters, setting. I have people berate me over this, so am sorry if it sounds like I'm getting too negative. I take it as a sign that you've mastered the technical and are so ambitious it opens you up to higher levels of criticism. For example, the setup is you're going to get in that vault, but there's already people there, even a shopkeeper. There's enemies in what is usually safe zones outside the dungeon rooms, with NPCs wandering around in them. There are treasures that increase stats, assuming it's valuable stuff, and the NPCs don't use them. At this point, as an RPG player, you realize the nature of the game is what it is. But you're an RPG player and you kind of want that role play spice.

I see Kefyrra mentioning janky games. Maybe all I want is to see more jank.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Please hold, everyone. I have the results, but it appears that my xcf file for the Big Kid Club Champion Award can't be opened by my version of Gimp, so I'll either have to go download a new version or make a new one. I might take the opportunity to make a new one, because last year's wasn't quite obnoxious and tacky enough. That will take me some time, however, and it will be tomorrow!

Sit tight, all.
Ps. I love my wife
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Re; the setting stuff:
There is a bit of development of the setting [the treasures that pop up from time to time are collected and sold off by the town, and the vault itself has been opened plenty of times in the past, hence the giant pile of debris in its first room], but as it's mostly confined to two NPCs that only change what they say after the vault is opened I can understand those being totally missed over.

As for why they're blasé about being next to an actively dangerous power source, albeit one that's somewhat sealed away? Beats me.
Last edited by Feenicks on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

I missed secret dialogue, is a nice touch. Makes more sense when you mention the *spoiler text*. It's a good setting. That bored shopkeeper, slowly waking up each visit, became really endearing by the end.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

The Final Results

After crunching the numbers, we have a pretty clear winner, folks. All of you submitted fantastic games, but there's only one fan favorite, and only one Big Kid Club Champion Award. You all fought valiantly, and your work is respected and enjoyed. I feel honored to have facilitated a contest with such high-quality submissions.

So without further ado, the award goes to...

Vault.rpg by Feenicks

Stunning job. You've certainly earned this gorgeous plaque I've made for you.

As for the rest of the games, if you have not played them, do so now! I will link them all here for your convenience, whether you are reading this right after I post it, or 25 years from now when you stop and think "Damn, that was 25 years ago? I wonder if that site's even still up." Either way, these games deserve the recognition.

Snake Hallway - Nathan Karr
Star Ranger - woahpotato
Chamomile Tea - ChalkFlower
Mom’s Home - kylekrack (me)

Participation Tropheys

There were some submissions that unfortunately did not get a chance to fight for a taste of the BKCCA, but deserve recognition for their efforts. These contenders are honorary members of the Big Kid Club and shall be observed as such.

Firstly, we have the Foxley Award, awarded to contenders who started out with a great idea, and then got bogged down by convoluted scripting issues and didn't manage to finish.

Next, we have the Charbile Award, awarded to contenders who made a great experience that put a smile on everyone's face, but the dev didn't see the forum post until like 2 weeks late, so they weren't able to finish in time, but like, almost finished in time.

Thank you everyone for contributing your Great Works to this compilation of new Great Works in games history. Your names will be immortalized in the Big Kid Club's historical tomes.
Ps. I love my wife
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

neat

As a thanks of sorts, I've attached a guide for finding the secret boss, in case you haven't already found it. It's *probably?* not that difficult if you've already 100%d everything, but bring your debuff skills along just in case.
Attachments
extremely technical guide for finding the secret boss
extremely technical guide for finding the secret boss
VAULT0016a.png (5.83 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Congrats, Feenicks! And great games all around

secret boss is a nice touch, but the end attack really does hit EVERYONE even heroes, cant cheese our way through the last boss with this

got my gold star, mission complete