OHR One-Room Contest 2019

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Charbile - I'm honoured. Can't wait to play.
vvight.wordpress.com
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

What kind of game would it be, if Nathan Karr made the dialogues for, Feenicks made the character graphics for, kylecrack made the tilesets and the puzzles for, woahpotato the animations and Chalkflower the battle system?
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

it would be the dream game by the dream team
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Oh lord, I did not make the tiles for Mom's Home. Gotta be forward about that. Please do not ever put me on tile duty.

Anyway, feel free to start sending me votes. I have the spreadsheet made for tallying. You can

PM me on Slime Salad,
PM me on Discord,
reply to this thread,
or send in the Discord server: channel #2019-one-room-contest,

to submit your votes. Just rank the 5 games from favorite to least favorite. I will score them accordingly.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

ohr house: battle royale

better late than never :v:
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Art
vvight.wordpress.com
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Absolutely superb.
Ps. I love my wife
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

it's 4:36 in the morning and i find this
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

The battle royale is gorgeous and hilarious!
But I get to the 1st battle, get a message and then nothing happens after that, on android, linux or windows.
I didn't even get a chance to wail on any chumps :(

EDIT: Someone told me on discord to use the mouse. I wailed on every chump. Clickity click yo.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Everyone made a great game that I'm having trouble beating.

Even the ones I don't care for as much as the others clearly have a lot of love and work put into them.

My personal order of preference goes:

OHR House Battle Royale,
Star Ranger,
Snake Hallway,
Vault,
Mom's Home,
Camomile Tea

I have both positive and negative things to say on all these games, but Snake Hallway is the only one I've actually beaten. I would actually describe the last two as "Dislike, but respect", the top two I simply love, and of the middle two I would say I think Feenicks put out an objectively superior game and definitely a more ambitious one.

I want to give myself some more time playing Battle Royale, Star Ranger, and Vault before putting my full thoughts on each game up.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

am happy you guys seem to find battle royale ok

will play and write something about everyone's games. not sure how long it will take, will try and avoid any shenanigans like picture reviews cause the burnout is real. think it only took me about a week to make that game on the side, crazy. could have kept going. newfound respect for everyone. rpgs are hard to make

nathan, allow me to give official tip master guide to BATTLE ROYALE, (only game design spoilers): 1. classic game design dictates new things (ie characters/attacks) given to player will be key to defeating the challenge they were given for; 2. guard, fly, etc 'damage mitigation' moves are your ace cards to keep in your hand until you need them; 3. prioritize damage to keep the battle moving 4. due to turn counts, try starting with a different character in the rotation to see if the timing improves against the boss's move order 5. didnt think anyone would have trouble with it ._. my bad
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I would put them roughly in this order for votes, and it was really hard to choose cus they were all awesome. My votes count or something right?

Vault
OHR Battle Royale
Star Ranger
Snake Hallway
Camomile Tea
Mom's House
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I've received about 5 votes now, which is a good amount, but more votes is always better. Not everyone who submitted a game has submitted a vote, so if you want a say in how well your game does, vote! I'll give everyone another day because I also want everyone to play the games released, they're all very good.
Ps. I love my wife
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

downloading all the games now, they look super interesting.

(is it just me or is slimesalad chugging along? first time i got the 'oh no' page... and hopefully this doesn't double post, got another error. maybe it's on my side)
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Camomile tea

From the readme: "But if you wish to make monetized or 18+ content, please get permission
from the developer beforehand." I desperately want to say challenge accepted. It also gives content warnings for grotesque imagery, vague plot, and strong language. I only noticed the vague plot. Did I miss something?

Abstract pixel retro games are my jam. I like that the resolution is very tall and not wide, gives it an arcade cabinet feel.

I have a vague sense of what's going on, although I know it's me trying to place a narrative context to the framework to make sense of it. I think to make these kind of games really shine, you have to give the player some minimum context so they can begin to look into the layers. Assuming there are ones to find. The great thing about this is that the player will get invested and make up layers themselves you didn't intend. I'm not getting it here. Reading the Freshness of Spirit text file that came with it for clues...

I think you're playing as someone who has gone insane. Or about something sane but the narrator is insane. Some way, insanity is involved. And the green haired lady likes tea and is having it with her "dear". There's someone in a wheelchair that you're somehow involved with and you know it's art-house when the final boss is a mirror.

The grind wasn't so bad until you (i think?) force the player to redo it again and again. Once you figure out the system, it's not as bad, though I think the frequency could have been dropped, or remove the randomness altogther. The battles are where things make the most sense, in a weird way. You start with a tea cutscene of madness, but in there you'll get something like being disgusted with sports. So you see a baseball with legs and choose Disgust, and instantly win the battle. Is a neat setup. Then again, it's kind of obscure. Like i see a pacifier that is labeled 'mouth'. No idea. Then you redo the battles after dying to it to see a different battle with a baby reaching for it. choose 'okay', makes sense.

I think this went a bit too obscure making it hard to get in on the twist or inside context the author (i hope) had to make it enjoyable. I have lots of respect for the craftsmanship of it. The custom main menu, the way the text scenes were handled, it's good stuff.