Ridiculous Games Contest 2019

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I think I may do this. One question though, how do we judge ridiculousness? For instead, I'm probably going to go with a game about a cyberpunk dystopia, but as a children's educational game. I think it's a bit ridiculous, but then, there's a whole bunch of children's franchises turning into big serious adult things, and vice versa. What I think is a bit ridiculous might very well be someone else's cynical marketing executive "genius" idea.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

It's kind of a tricky subject. The contest itself has always been rather nebulous.

Here's what Fenrir wrote as a description of a "Ridiculous Game", because he put it better than I could:
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:WHAT IS A RIDICULOUS GAME?

I will not be judging what constitutes a "ridiculous game". Therefore, I am continuing last year's practice of allowing people to vote for which games were the "best/worst/whatever". Beauty, or in this case Ugliness, is entirely in the eye of the beholder. It is your obligation to construct your game according to your own notions on what makes a game good or bad, so long as it stays within the very nebulous constraints of the contest's theme. All you have to remember, is that it must be ridiculous.

A final point concerning the entries. All the previous winner/s of the contest/s actually put effort into their games - they were fun to play (more or less). This is your opportunity to make the game that you'd have to be criminally insane to produce otherwise, or for which no other contest exists to release one.
Working as intended!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

I'm using the 'excessive amount of mechanics' ruleset that was described in the Discord a while back.
It probably won't gel into a very long demo, but was that ever the point of this?

Anyway, as usual I'm being excessive with my graphics.
Attachments
Less-sfw full art of these guys can be found here: https://i.imgur.com/33fTbTg.png
Less-sfw full art of these guys can be found here: https://i.imgur.com/33fTbTg.png
spritetest.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I have the basis for a somewhat ridiculous game laid down. I've made the combat system 2-player PvP by putting an untargetable enemy in the battle and having two heroes that can only attack each other. I'd say the thing that makes it the most ridiculous is having to pass the controller off between turns. I also have the basis for a party building system, but I tried doing it entirely via textbox chains, and I regret that. It worked for a bit, but then it got too complicated. However, the attacks targeting system is mostly working.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 5.31.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 5.31.54 PM.png (49.98 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
It's a little broken right now
It's a little broken right now
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 5.32.12 PM.png (139.58 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Those characters are great, Feenicks. And a 2 player PvP ohr battle is absolutely the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard tried. A bit too ambitious before multiplayer support. Maybe wait for split screen.

And let me say some words about Fenrir and ridiculous games...

I don't think he ever explained it well. All that text to simply say: putting effort into a game that is fun to play, but you wouldn't otherwise normally make outside of this contest, where the original context was like...

people found some magus game a long time ago and thought it was really bad. and i remember being perplexed, as i would play every ohr game that dropped and they were mostly all that bad to me, didn't understand why it was singled out. but it was, so they all decided they'd make joke games about it. Am i remembering this right?

so here we are. Paraphrasing TMC, welcome to the community of hardcore joke rpgs.

(edit: thinking about it more, the litmus test for Fenrir's ridiculousness was simple: it's not your big serious project, ie it's you taking a break from Timestream Saga or Final Fantasy H (H is not short for hentai, wtf fen) to make Meh and Meh 2.0)

that said, am super HYPED for that something special on march first
Last edited by charbile on Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

okay so basically, the setting's in an alternate universe where it's medieval times except they have guns

your name is doesn't exactly matter, a knight who has been given the task to take down the knights of the round clip, a bunch of a-holes who thought it would be funny to mess up the world bit by bit

they haven't done much but now they've gone too far by threatening to summon a demon that will destroy everything within the lands of eurogun

with every knight you take down, a new gun is granted for you to use on your journey to stop the threat that will ruin everything, including your date with your hot princess chick (can't have that happening at all, no sir)

unlike my one-room entry, the gameplay won't be extreme to the point where you're on a sliver of your life: instead, you'll find armor upgrades that'll raise your stats (kinda like a metroidvania?) and you'll only level up when you kill a boss
otherwise, you'll just shoot whatever enemies come towards you i guess and you can get pickups from them

yeah let's just see how this goes
Attachments
gunmandemode.png
gunmandemode.png (16.28 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

charbile wrote:I don't think he ever explained it well.
It's a feature. :v:

Other OHR contests (usually) have stricter rule requirements about what kinds of games are or are not permitted, or have some kind of specifically defined rules that might hamper a developer's creativity. With the Terrible/Ridiculous Games Contest, traditionally the rules are kept as loose as possible but can generally be broken down into (1) make a silly game that probably wouldn't work in another contest, (2) you've got a month so put SOME effort into it, and (3) I'm not defining what makes a game good or bad so use your own judgement. And occasionally I throw in a little bit of "Chemical X" in the form of a loose theme like "make an Edutainment game" or "the theme is Science" or something that just doesn't show up in most other contests.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:And occasionally I throw in a little bit of "Chemical X" in the form of a loose theme like "make an Edutainment game" or "the theme is Science" or something that just doesn't show up in most other contests.
And one time, it was a pick-and-mix of two very broad themes, leading to wildly varied games even though many entrants decided to incorporate both.

We had Babies vs. Robots, a simple RTS where the babies probably represent the "love" theme and the robots probably represent "science"

We had Crypt of Baconthulhu, a Bob the Hamster roguelite that included Lovecraftian "science fiction" elements and introduced Misa DuHamstre, a Minnie to Bob's Mickey

And we had Moron Mission a hasty two-day edit of Vikings of Midgard taking place in a post-apocalyptic world that looks like a glitched SNES cartridge in places, where a Christian missionary constantly gushes about SCIENCE! and tries to make converts in a hostile land due to general love, and depending on player actions might also find romantic love with one of the local women
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Nathan Karr wrote:And we had Moron Mission a hasty two-day edit of Vikings of Midgard taking place in a post-apocalyptic world that looks like a glitched SNES cartridge in places
In fairness, opening up Vikings after years of not working on it gives me the exact same impression.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Nobody told me Fenrir would appear! Quick, where's my pokeballs.

Is a fun recap of the antics of past games. And thinking about it, have to agree it's a feature. Can let loose. Smart not to keep it strict.

And i see a game posted by Idontknow, oh boy here we go
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I originally wanted to have a theme, though people came to a consensus they'd rather have no theme. I prefer to keep things vague as well.

I hope the commencement game was fun, now lets make some things.
Working as intended!
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Anyone want to work on a game with me (by which I mean draw my game for me)? I hear the focus is "entirely on story/characters", and not actually being ridiculous at all. Don't expect any crazy scripting/mechanics. Story and characters. Have a concept ready to go. Will probably be an RPG. Gonna start writing it.
Last edited by SDHawk on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

I fear if Hawk were to succeed, by his own realization in discord that a serious melodramatic rpg would come full circle in being ridiculous, that it would not only break the perception of there being a way not to make something ridiculous, but that we have no escape from this in anything we do and the consequences of such knowledge could cause irreparable damage to our psyches.

so will have to pass as i'm still looking for the 1 800 hotline to call for someone to talk me out of making something too.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Fortunately, it looks like we will be spared from that fate since it seems no one is brave enough to draw my game for me (you don't have to be good at drawing, I won't bite). I'd recommend a similar strategy for dodging your own Contest Game Temptation, but you made the silly mistake of learning all the game development skills.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

You can share the graphical assets I'm already making for my ridiculous game, those I already put in my last two contest games, and those from the graphics pack I started from. If the characters and writing are written and charactered right, nobody should mind them being represented with stock sprites.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!