CAMPAIGN: Normin's Adventure (The Unburning) (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"That is a shame. May I know when I can expect him back? I am looking to seek advice on matters that might relate to the recent fire that destroyed the apartment home."
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The dwarf adjusts her spectacles to get a better look at Normin. She peers at him as if a hard look might penetrate the huge hat.

"About the fire, eh? Well, that's why Gogol is at court today. They're having a hearing for that suspect they captured."

She scratches her close-cropped beard.

"As for when he will be back, I couldn't say. I understand they are also going to be placing charges for that tragic Shortbig house fire last month, so he could be there all day"

She plucks a more or less blank sheet of paper from one of the stacks, and rummages for a quill pen

"I can take a message for you if you'd like, but if your business is urgent, you should just go down to the court and try to catch hold of him on a recess"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Unfortunate, but I shall be on my way. It is not too far from here, correct?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"The courthouse? Cut straight through Market-Day, and into Old Bakak. It's right across the main square from the Mayor's Palace. You can't miss it. Its the the biggest building with marble columns that isn't a temple."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Very well. I shall head there right away." And he does, walking out of the building to the main square to continue taking the directions to the major courthouse.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Normin leaves the Executioner's Guild Substation in the Poor Quarter. He passes through the Marketday district, and into Old Bakak.

The buildings are tall and ancient and adorned with columns and statues. The streets are wide and paved with well-fitted stone slabs. An ornate carriage with a single horse rumbles elegantly down the street. The pedestrians are robed lawyers, spotless priestesses, black-clad bankers, merchants and guildlords wearing gold ornaments, guards in gleaming armor, and of course, the ever-present Cook's guild porters. Many of them seem to be carrying trays of covered and insulated tankards of steaming liquid. (No other way to get hot coffee this deep into the Unburning)

The main square is lined with beautiful buildings, the Mayoral palace, the merchant's guild, the Temple Of All Good God's, and of most interest, the high court house, with tall columns and wide steps.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin rarely finds himself in this district. His rags and stench ill fit the opulence that surround him.

He makes his way to the court house with little time and even smaller interest in the other places at this moment. He makes sure to tread along the buildings to avoid being trampled by the traffic of peoples and horses.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

At the top of the steps of the Court House are two narrow doors, small in proportion to the facade of the building.

One is obviously the entrance, the other is the exit. Each is flanked with a single guard. The guards are wearing white robes with red trim and each carries a halberd.

The guard at the entrance door stops each person and briefly questions them. There is a short queue of 2 or 3 people at any moment.

The guard at the exit door doesn't even glance as people exit. His posture is slightly slouched, putting weight on the handle of his halberd. He stares glassy-eyed into the distance
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin decides to head to the exit to ask one of the people leaving, "Pardon me, do you know how long court will be taking place during this time?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

DM roll luck {{1d20}}
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

Post by Judge Slimehold »

<p><b>Bob the Hamster</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20:</b> 14</li></ul>
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The Elven lawyer clutches her briefcase a little closer to her self, and looks at Normin with an expression that is a mix of pity and distain

When she realizes that he is asking a question about court and not begging for coins, she seems to relax a bit, and answers "How long? Oh, all day I expect. Big arson case. It's a zoo in there"

She moves off quickly.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

After the woman walks off Norman hrms and hmms. It might be in his best interest to listen to the hearing while he waits.

Not wanting to be trampled by a large crowd, Normin decides to see if he can find anywhere he can be to hear from outside.

Perception: {{1d20 + 1}}
Judge Slimehold
Master Judge of Battles

Post by Judge Slimehold »

<p><b>Newbie Newtype</b> rolls...</p><ul><li><b>1d20 + 1:</b> 16 + 1 &rArr; 17</li></ul>
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Normin looks around, hoping to find some other way to listen in.

Norman notices an old man with a cane come up the steps. Instead of approaching the two main doors, the old man hobbles off to the right side and disappears into a space behind the last marble column.

Peering after, Normin can see around the corner into the space between the courthouse and the temple to its right.

Nearby on the courthouse wall is a door marked as a public restroom. The old man goes in.

Further down the passage is a wooden staircase that runs up the side of the marble wall of the courthouse.

At the top of the stairs is another door, also guarded. There is a short queue of people on the stairs waiting to get in

Normin notices that unlike the people waiting at the front door, there people are dressed more like folk from the poor quarter. None of them are in rags, none of them look like beggars, but the all look like poor people who have put on whatever best clothes they can scrape together.

The guard is dressed and armed the same as those in the front of the building, but they have a different demeanor. They have a gentle expression on their face, and seem to be speaking kindly to each person before they enter.