Ridiculous Games Contest 2019

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Idontknow
Slime Knight

Ridiculous Games Contest 2019

Post by Idontknow »

Son of the Ridiculous Games Contest - 2019

The Terrible/Ridiculous games contest has returned!

CONTEST RULES

*0* The most important rule, and the theme of the contest, the "Zero Rule". Your goal is to produce a video game/s that is ridiculous. That doesn't mean "make an intentionally slimy game" I'm talking games that are more Earthbound, Megaman Sprite Game or Space Funeral, not Magnus. Actually put some effort into your games.

*1* You MUST construct your game/s using the OHRRPGCE engine. Whether you use the Nightlies or a stable version is your business, just make sure you include an exe at least.

*2* The actual opening date for the contest shall be March 1st, and will last an entire month until March 31st. For each day past the deadline your game submission is late, five points will be deducted from that game's score, to be determined in the voting.

*3* You are only allowed to release your completed game/s to the public during a release window of March 24th to March 31th. This is primarily to allow everyone an equal shot, and also to not intimidate potential entrants. If you release your game before March 24th I will deduct 5 points from your final score. If you have some trouble with those dates, please let me know and I can try to arrange something, but keep in mind I am widening the release window from the original day to a week. Don't give me some kind of goofy excuse like "A necromancer ate my game", I'm trying to be a bit more lenient here.

*4* You MAY use the free-to-use graphics, such as the ones from Vikings of Midgard or the 8-bit sprite pack.

DATES + DEADLINES
  • March 1st - Contest opens
    March 24-31th Submissions Accepted
    April 14th voting ends

VOTING AND SCORING

Anyone may vote on the games, and may rate each one on a scale of 1 (awful/unplayable) to 10 (best). As always, comments on each submission are welcome and ultimately helpful to the contestants. Your score sheet should look something like this:

Scorecard:
Bark Wars - 4
Mr. Octogon's Adventure - 2
Dergun Chasing - 6
Sporks and Summons - 8
Void Obelisk -7

If you fail to vote on any one game, I will assume you DID NOT play it, and accordingly give it an automatic score whose number is determined by the average of the other games' scores. I suggest you play each game, even if only for a little bit, so you can judge it yourself.

You may only vote for each game ONCE. Yes, you can vote for your own game. I will officially be taking your votes in a thread on Slime Salad. I will also be taking DMs on Discord. Don't just post it in the #RGC room, or else it will be drowned out by other conversation while I'm at work and I'll probably miss it. Voting shall begin April 1st and will end on the 14th. If there are enough entries I may give an extension to the voting period to allow people enough time to play the games.

After the votes have been tallied and the points added up, any deductions incurred on your behalf will be subtracted from your score. The game with the MOST points on the 14th of April wins!

Anyways, feel free to discuss the rules and such before the contest properly kicks off! I will post something special on March 1st to kick off the competition, so stay tuned.
Last edited by Idontknow on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
Working as intended!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm going to hunt for a good idea. No promises.
This is primarily to allow everyone an equal shot, and also to not intimidate potential contestants into dropping out.
Better ban Fenrir and Feenick from posting screenshots too!

Why only allow Vikings and Fnrrf's 8-bit graphics packs? What about free graphics packs in general? There are more that don't get much attention, e.g. cctcc and BMR's tilesets, and there's free graphics not specific to the OHRRPGCE too.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

My game is called OHRodents.

It consists mostly of significant rodents of OHR history (and some obscure chumps I can introduce you to) having adventures at a tiny size. Things like using sewing needles and those plastic sword-shaped toothpicks as rapiers, matches as torches, buttons and bottle caps as shields, and so on.

Average heroes have 5 HP (with HP capping at 9), most attacks do only 1 or 2 damage, random enemies around the size of your party members will usually have about 2 HP but things that aren't small rodents can have significantly higher offenses and defenses as appropriate.

And the final boss
A party of four first-level human adventurers on a quest to exterminate all the rodents in the inn's basement
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

You may only vote ONCE? Has this been an issue??? the ohr has a discord? TMC makes games? OHRodents seems like a perfectly reasonable idea?
Mogri
Super Slime

Re: Ridiculous Games Contest 2019

Post by Mogri »

Idontknow wrote:If you fail to vote on any one game, I will assume you DID NOT play it, and accordingly give it an automatic score of 5. If enough people fail to play one particular game, it may quickly rise to the top of the voting and be declared the winner.
I'm not sure how this is true unless most actual votes end up below 5. (I realize you copied most of your rules from HotOHR, but I have the same question there.)
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

For Heart of the OHR, I tend to argue that the "robot scores" of 5 (that's my new name for it, coming in 2020), force a good game down and a bad game up from what each deserves. Fortunately, all the robot scores have been ironed out this year, so the results are pure vote. Maybe RGC will have the same result.

So, I actually thought of a pretty good idea today. Maybe I'll try it out. I've always wanted to enter this contest, but I hadn't before because I stopped wanting to create more distractions from my main projects. The idea I have probably won't take long to make, so I may give it a go. We'll see. No promises.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

charbile wrote:OHRodents seems like a perfectly reasonable idea?
I've been sitting on the idea for years. I was going to make it eventually whether an appropriate contest emerged or not.

Playable characters include:

Nathan Karr, a somewhat squishy mage with a very broad but shallow movepool; jack of all trades with the added gimmick that his spells cost extra MP to cast and generate MP-restoring candy when cast. His attack spells have a mostly-unique element (some of the other characters being able to get access to it as well) which some monsters are very arbitrarily weak to, resistant to, immune to, or even absorb.

Bob, Rice, Ketchup, and Mustard are all fighters with a base HP of 6, shallow movepools, and the ability to use most if not all of the in-game equipment items.

Jude the Rat and Officer Mouse (just "Mouse" in his original game, Star Cops) are white mages, Officer Mouse being slightly more tanky and Jude being slightly more squishy.

Misa and Blueberry are water mages, acting somewhat like a Final Fantasy Red Mage but limited to one element of attack spells (Wet) and unable to access the others unless combined with this.

Dr. Mouse (or just "Mouse" in his original game, Adventures of Bill) is a black mage, the only character who has access to spells from all four base elements (Hot, Wet, Zap, and Ick).

Catnip (from Catman), Radar (from Radar Rat Race RPG), Grape, Pikahcu, and The Grand Zark (from Hinterlands: Pilgrimage) are various levels of utility/joke character. Catnip being a basic thief (so less strong and less accurate than any of the warrior mice with only average HP and above average speed, but being very good at getting enemies' stealable items). Grape having very high HP and very low speed, Pikahcu having very low HP and very high speed. Radar having mediocre stats and equipment allowances but having attacks to scan enemies to discern their HP and elemental weaknesses. Most characters with a proper spell list rather than a single action command can learn at least one spell via item; The Grand Zark can learn all six of these and is otherwise a roughly average character.

So out of 14 characters, 5 of them are the Walthrosian Mice, two are from Wandering Hamster, and the other seven are from other various OHR games. Those being a good mix of classics like Arfenhouse and obscure games I know about almost entirely because I downloaded them due to thinking one of the characters in a screenshot was cute.

I think the last game I released with a playable Nathan/Ronin Catholic was actually Karrible, for the last RGC. That version of Ronin Catholic was a hybrid of a Hi-Ling (Chinese equivalent of a kitsune) and a Pikachu, with the character identified in-game as Nathan Karr being an extremely pale human in his sprite art and a white rabbit on the title screen. Around a year after that disasterpiece's release, I changed my imaginary persona to a full-time rodent (sometimes hybridized officially with something else and sometimes not, but always with a murine base form rather than a human or canine one) and it's mostly luck and scope creep that's kept me from releasing anything with him playable in the meantime.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

For Heart of the OHR, I tend to argue that the "robot scores" of 5 (that's my new name for it, coming in 2020), force a good game down and a bad game up from what each deserves.
Shifting games with fewer votes towards the average actually makes sense, it reflects less certainty in the scoring, so is very crudely comparable to TrueSkill(tm)*. But it would be better to use the actual average score, not 5.

I don't often work on games, but I have an idea for a psychotherapy art game. First I've got to file a medical treatment approval application.

*But not Elo (well known for use in Chess and other game), because in Elo ranking you generally start with the lowest possible score and work up
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Why only allow Vikings and Fnrrf's 8-bit graphics packs? What about free graphics packs in general? There are more that don't get much attention, e.g. cctcc and BMR's tilesets, and there's free graphics not specific to the OHRRPGCE too.
Good point, I just put those two because I figured those were the only ones people would end up using. I'll amend the rules.
Shifting games with fewer votes towards the average actually makes sense, it reflects less certainty in the scoring, so is very crudely comparable to TrueSkill(tm)*. But it would be better to use the actual average score, not 5.
I like that idea. I might end up going with the robo-scores being the average of the other normal scores the game was given.
Working as intended!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Adding votes that are equal to the average of the other scores on the same game actually doesn't change the final ranking of the game (its average score) at all. I meant using the average of all game votes.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Ah, ok.
Working as intended!
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Nathan, love reading rpg design and ideas, sounds great. Catnip is my personal favorite from one of the best games ever, so i have high expectations you'll do him justice

also, just found it amusing that you'd go with a 'reasonable' game setup for a 'ridiculous' game contest. i dont know how many levels of irony you're on but it's genius
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

TMC wrote:I meant using the average of all game votes.
I think my new spreadsheet makes calculating for that possible, actually, as it keeps track of voter averages. I may try it out in 2020, if we end up with robot scores. This year, though, we managed to stamp them all out, so all scores are all player-based (thanks, voters!).

Idontknow, let me know if you'd like a template of my Excel spreadsheet for easy vote tracking.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:Idontknow, let me know if you'd like a template of my Excel spreadsheet for easy vote tracking.
Yeah! I'd really appreciate it.
Working as intended!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

what
Attachments
he wasn't a mouse in the game he was from but i don't care
he wasn't a mouse in the game he was from but i don't care
Sugarman.png (540 Bytes) Viewed 5000 times