OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

One thing I would keenly like to see is an alternative to Text Outline, Text Drop Shadow. Because it improves readability tremendously! You could get this effect by making a copy of the text, changing its colour and offsetting it. I would like to see this as an option for e.g., textboxes and menus and so on.

It creates a much more professional, modern, 3D look, compared to Outline (although Outline is useful on busy backdrops)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Drop shadows is something I implemented many years ago, but that never got used. Some time soonish I'd like to add support for multiple fonts and font styles. Currently I'm thinking that each "font" will be one set of character images, and each font has multiple styles which are programmatic modifications of the base font, e.g.: plain, outline, drop-shadow, italic, underlined, bold, gradient.

Unlike supporting variable-width fonts, that isn't going to require a huge amount of work fixing hundreds of places that assume the font size is 8x8. In fact it should be pretty easy.

Last edited by TMC on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0ion9
Red Slime

Post by 0ion9 »

Not exactly a suggestion as I'm not sure whether it can be made with a sensible UI, but 8-way fill seems generally way more useful than the standard 4-way fill that the sprite editor currently has.
GIMP 2.10 has an implementation (possibly the only implementation?)

Workflow-wise It's not a straight replacement for 4-way fill, but if I had to use only one of 8way and 4way I'd definitely pick 8way. It's much quicker for shading and recoloring.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That's a good point; it had never even occurred to me that I wanted an 8-way-fill for filling lines.

Of course, you can't draw a shape and then fill it with an 8-way fill, so you do want both and it might be a bad idea to have just an 8-way fill available. But adding a UI for it is doable.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0ion9
Red Slime

Post by 0ion9 »

It can certainly be useful for lines, but not only that.It's more like a choice of whether you work to escape excessive isolation (4way) or work to add necessary isolation (8way).

Once you have a basic mask (filled outline, or just silhouette) everything else can be done with 8way if you are so inclined.

Quick doodle I made that illustrates coloring exclusively with 8way; step by step animation:
Last edited by 0ion9 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Could we display and alter the default Regen/poison/mute registers for individual heroes, items and enemies? That way we could have items that Regen when equipped etc. Enemies that start poisoned like in FF5, that sort of thing.
vvight.wordpress.com
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

how about "selective replace" like the replace tool but only in a region defined by the user e.g., a rectangle?
I guess that could be achieved by splitting parts of the image into separate canvases, but it's not easy without some kind of copy/paste board or "send to new canvas" thing.
Or maybe an ability to limit tools effects to a defined region, like drawing a rectangle and all the tools only work in that region. It could be used to isolate parts of an image without needing to split them off.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

guo wrote:Could we display and alter the default Regen/poison/mute registers for individual heroes, items and enemies? That way we could have items that Regen when equipped etc. Enemies that start poisoned like in FF5, that sort of thing.
Great idea! I was actually asking about this in the Discord server not too long ago, and have wanted this for more than fifteen years.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

guo wrote:Could we display and alter the default Regen/poison/mute registers for individual heroes, items and enemies? That way we could have items that Regen when equipped etc. Enemies that start poisoned like in FF5, that sort of thing.
If you'd asked a week ago I would have said "no, heroes don't even have registers out of battle". But that Discord discussion about registers and stats made me realise that we should just turn registers into normal stats, which would solve many problems: items could affect registers, status conditions could be read after battle and optionally preserved between battles, enemies could start out with status effects, and it would be easy to add more stats without having to do any renumbering.
SwordPlay wrote:Or maybe an ability to limit tools effects to a defined region, like drawing a rectangle and all the tools only work in that region. It could be used to isolate parts of an image without needing to split them off.
Yes, this is something I wish we had.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I salute you tmc (with my wooden katana)
vvight.wordpress.com
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Is there a way to check if pathfinding is valid without moving anything? And also to return the number of tiles it would move?
It would help a lot in developing AI that can evaluate and compare routes.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No, we haven't added script command for that yet. Always has been the plan.
It is possible to get an invisible NPC/hero with 20 speed to pathfind and record its path, and people have done that, but it's an incredibly hacky solution.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

That seems legit. NPCs can have 20 move speed?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

20 is divisible by 20.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

kylekrack wrote:20 is divisible by 20.
good to know