Overwhelming Slimeomancy.bmp (187.55 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Slimes! :D
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I had a project going on partly as a sort of a tech demo, but I decided to split "Nathan's extremely weird and intentionally disturbing furry game" and "Nathan's straightforward game full of references to OHR legacy content" into two projects, and I'm showing things from the latter here and won't even start the file for the former for a while.

A lot of the style and subsystems here will be familiar from some of my more recent games:

Most enemies have three attacks: One that targets the first available hero, one that targets the hero with the highest Charisma (Ctr, repurposed to signify which character's presence looks the most intimidating/important), and one that strikes a hero at random. Thus incentivising either equipping someone with high defensive stats with charisma-boosting items and keeping him in the lead to soak the majority of attacks, or to put a highly charismatic person in the second slot to have two less-focused tanks.

Most heroes' weapons simply target whatever enemy is closest and use the Automatically Select Target bitset, making enemy formation placement matter somewhat. Some attacks allow you to actually choose a target. Various spells have baked-in preferences like "first target" or "highest charisma" or even "lowest charisma" purely for the enemy AI's default behavior, still allowing the player to control them. Heals and defensive buffs tend to default to whoever would need them most (lowest HP%, lowest stat level, highest poison register) and offensive buffs tend to target whoever already has the highest level of the stat (Attack buff? Obviously that goes on our heavy hitter!).

Everyone responds to any HP damage by curing himself of Stun, as "stun" is usually "sleep" in this case. Some characters (Fighter, Pirate, and Ninja in particular) have a "backstab" attack that strikes the closest enemy for double damage and never misses if the target is Stunned (right now it becomes a regular sword attack if they're not stunned at the time - I'm thinking of chaining it to a weaker or even less-accurate version instead to make there an actual downside to attempting it at inappropriate times). These are designed to play into each other tactically - do you take the time enemies are asleep to buff yourself and debuff them, or hit them harder while they're down and wake them back up right away?

Attacks use percentage-based accuracy math - further, spells that can miss or fail use hit% and dog% just like any other attacks. Most heroes have 90-ish accuracy at level 0 and it goes higher as they gain levels, easily exceeding the cap. Fighters start with 99, Ninjas, Rangers, and other characters who are sorta-fightery but have secondary things they do as well start with 95, male pirates have 85 (because of the eyepatch), and some unusual classes can have weirdly low initial accuracy but something else going on like multiple attacks per turn (martial artist) or very high strength (ogre).

Evasion has a cap of 20 and there are no debuffs against it; there's also only one buff to it. The "Defend" command is a short-duration buff of +100 evasion, allowing a character to deliberately prepare himself to block/dodge incoming enemy attacks (including spells that can be resisted, such as most status ailments and debuffs). Not every character can do this, mostly just front-line tanky types like the Fighter and Paladin. Some attacks roll to hit but ignore evasion, allowing them to get through a block.

Using Fnrrf's wonderful 8-bit graphics pack as a baseline, I've been trying to make similarly-sized and styled interpretations of other characters (usually only one or maybe two per game). I want each of these heroes to have three moves all his own, if not more.

There are also standard spell lists, each of them being associated with an icon. Most spells cost 1 MP, most full-time mages start with 3 MP and get 10 by the level cap, most secondary-mages like rangers, ninjas, and paladins start with 1 MP and get 3-5 by the level cap.

The four card suits being the most common, main casters usually have a full suit and one or two each from the others.
(Heart) - Healmos (heals 80% of max HP to one ally, fails if target is poisoned), Healus (heals 30% of max HP to entire party, fails if target is poisoned), and Vivify (heals 30% of max HP to one ally, including dead ones, but needs to roll to hit).
(Spade) - Fireball (hits one enemy with fire damage, then hits all enemies with fire damage), Sleep (stuns all enemies for 100), and Barrier (buff one ally's magic defense).
(Diamond) - Crystals (damages all enemies with an ice storm), Flash (debuff all enemies' accuracy by half), and Protect (buff one ally's physical defense).
(Club) - Cure (heals one ally by 30% of max HP and cures poison), Stinger (poisons a single enemy), and Vanish (reduce one ally's Charisma significantly, making him a less likely target for physical attacks).

Then two other common spell groups,
(Cross) - Disrupt (damages all undead), Lightning (damages one enemy with electric damage, then stuns him), and Silence (mutes all enemies for 200).
(Note) - Rousing (cure entire party of Stun), War Cry (buff entire party's attack power), and SonicBoom (damage entire battlefield with sonic elemental damage; best to outfit a party with sound-resistant equipment in preparation!)

For example, Wizards get the entirety of the Spade and Diamond spell lists, Clerics get the entirety of the Heart and Cross spell lists and can learn Cure from the Club list, Protect from Diamond, and Barrier from Spade.
Attachments
Bob is based loosely on the Ninja (because he calls himself a ninja early in Wandering Hamster). His moveset includes Heal Hit and Bubble.
Bob is based loosely on the Ninja (because he calls himself a ninja early in Wandering Hamster). His moveset includes Heal Hit and Bubble.
OHRRPGCE Reference Party0006.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
Kyle, Housemaster, and Olga Bearbreaker (related to Olaf and Gisli on her father's side; her dad had a different idea of what it meant to be a "bear breaker")
Kyle, Housemaster, and Olga Bearbreaker (related to Olaf and Gisli on her father's side; her dad had a different idea of what it meant to be a "bear breaker")
OHRRPGCE Reference Party0001.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
Standard character classes. Specific heroes are usually made by copying one of these, changing the graphics, beefing up or altering the stats, and then slowing down level progression.
Standard character classes. Specific heroes are usually made by copying one of these, changing the graphics, beefing up or altering the stats, and then slowing down level progression.
OHRRPGCE Reference Party0004.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on something new. I don't know if I'm going to hire someone to redraw these sprites or if I'll do it all solo this time.
Attachments
Cats2.png
Cats2.png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
NewCrew.png
NewCrew.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Those look really good! Any hints about what the project is, or is it a secret?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! I'm still in the process of figuring out what exactly the project is but it's going to be something small that I can work on casually.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Wobbler, this is like seeing that Ghostbusters teaser yesterday. The legend continues.
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

More of Mr. Pepper is always welcome.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Remember how ever since 2011 I've occasionally talked about an updated No Eat?

Well, I've basically decided I don't want to do that ever, but I do want to reuse the tileset I designed for it.

So for this OHR Reference Party, there are three dungeons. One is a cave with a bunch of normal, expected RPG monsters like goblins, cave-dwelling animals, dragons, and the like - one is a tomb with a bunch of undead and other supernatural monsters - and the last is the inside of the final boss, whom you are allowed to attempt to kill from the outside but dissuaded from doing so (not only would you miss out on a third of the game's dungeon maps and lots of treasure chests, she's also a stupidly strong monster but theoretically defeatable).
Attachments
This ranger's gonna be a goner in a couple more steps. Every space is a harmtile; resource management for healing spells and items is key!
This ranger's gonna be a goner in a couple more steps. Every space is a harmtile; resource management for healing spells and items is key!
OHRRPGCE Reference Party0028.gif (229.04 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Stats not finalized. 50 is the HP cap, 20 is the ATK/DEF/DOG/MAG/WIL/SPD cap.
Stats not finalized. 50 is the HP cap, 20 is the ATK/DEF/DOG/MAG/WIL/SPD cap.
OHRRPGCE Reference Party0030.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
The game's intro (a couple typos were fixed since then). Reusing Fnrrf's graphics pack, some Vikings assets, and a lot of custom stuff of my own.
The game's intro (a couple typos were fixed since then). Reusing Fnrrf's graphics pack, some Vikings assets, and a lot of custom stuff of my own.
OHRRPGCE Reference Party0027.gif (460.2 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
LOL, it's my fursona's pawprint. This game is me all over.
LOL, it's my fursona's pawprint. This game is me all over.
OHRRPGCE Reference Party0023.png (13.82 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Very few of these tiles _aren't_ intended to animate.
Very few of these tiles _aren't_ intended to animate.
OHRRPGCE Reference Party0021.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Still working on getting to all the colors to work. But here's a better example of how the game will look.

Basically, you attack an area and kill all the combined slimes. More drop down.
Attachments
overwhelming0001.png
overwhelming0001.png (23.61 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

Soon I'll begin development on my next major RPG project, "Dreamy Beast".

After seemingly endless fights with her mother, 20-year-old Luna leaves home to stay with her grandmother in the rural riverside town of Kristalina, shortly after it’s suffered damage from hurricane Medea. Here she rejoins with old friends Maxim and Star, plus an elder by the name of Terrin they befriend afterward.
But with the townspeople still struggling to put themselves back together, Kristalina seems much more unwelcoming towards Luna than she remembers. And Maxim seems to grow suspiciously distant from everyone, disappearing into the woods nearly every night.
But how does this all connect to a beastly new power that’s suddenly raging inside Luna?

Inspirations include Let the Right One In, American Gods, the Monogatari Series, Oyasumi Punpun, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, David Bowie, Twin Fantasy, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Night in the Woods, Digital Devil Saga, Parasite Eve, and Mother 3.
Last edited by Kefyrra on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

Inspirations include Let the Right One In, American Gods, the Monogatari Series, Oyasumi Punpun, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, David Bowie, Twin Fantasy, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Night in the Woods, Digital Devil Saga, Parasite Eve, and Mother 3.
those are some great inspirations
im currently making a pac-man recreation/fangame thing. it will have 6 levels and im on level 5 now, so expect release sometime in February
Attachments
1548871195710.gif
1548871195710.gif (99.07 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Last edited by TheMan on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

accidentally double poasted whoops
Last edited by TheMan on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.