Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Silly me, not absolutely thoroughly re-testing my entire game after downloading and using a new nightly version in the last week of development. Somehow, large and crucial textbox chains got broken. Not just slightly broken, but extremely broken - heroes challenging one boss but the chain ending before the one where he fights, kings congratulating the heroes but not rewarding them afterwards, that sort of thing. In response to getting a PM about this, I've updated Trytuges again. It's supposed to be possible to defeat the evil wizard in the mine, get the boat in the inn, sail to the island in the corner of the map where the final dungeon lies, get to the final boss, and kill him. I also fixed a couple of very minor passability map issues that nobody caught earlier and likely nobody but the one who PMed me would even have noticed, and added a period to a single item description which was lacking one.

I trust most of you already downloaded the version posted within the contest window and expect the unbeatable mess to be reflected in the score I actually receive.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Does it seem like the text box chains we're actually corrupted by the new nightly? If so that sounds like a very concerning engine bug. Has anybody else seen anything like this happen?

Was it after-chains, instead-chains, or both? Were tag checks involved?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Nathan (and everyone),

It's okay for voters to download a fixed file for the contest. The requirement is to have a playable file ready at the start of the voting period. There is no restriction on how many times that file can be fixed during the voting period. That said, I'm playing these in alphabetical order and haven't gotten to yours yet. When I do, I'm sure I'll get the fixed version. Voters can vote on any version they play between now and the end of the voting period (February 3rd). That means they can also redownload the game if they haven't played it yet, if they want to. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Everyone (and Nathan),

In gamelist news, I've got approval for the final two games I've been waiting to hear about, Asphodelus and Px. Just checking to see if they're acceptable for the contest. It looks like they'll fit the "in the spirit of 1999" requirement if not the traditional RPG requirement. I don't know yet if they're complete enough to qualify (I do know that they're short and possibly shorter than the standard 30 minutes, though I haven't confirmed that), but I'll be adding them to the list very shortly if they check out as valid. The author has informed me that Px is about to get a small update, so if you want to wait until the weekend to try it out, that's fine (see my paragraph addressed to Nathan to find out why that's fine). As usual, if you play it before I do, let me know if you think it's good for the contest. Again, "in the spirit of 1999" counts. Review T4R4D1DDL3 and any OHR game from 1999 if you don't know what that means.

Note: These are the last two games I've been waiting to hear back about. Once these go on the list (if they go on the list), the list will become officially complete.

I'm officially disqualifying Hanu in Hell. I'll acknowledge it in the honorable mentions category at the contest's end (unless the author shows up and withdraws it himself before the end of voting), but I am no longer taking votes for it. It is both too short and too incomplete to qualify. Normally I'd allow one or the other shortcoming to pass, but not both. Play it if you want, but you don't have to vote for it. I won't be including it on the final scoreboard. Remember, folks, post the game when it's ready, not when you're tired of working on it. Something to keep in mind for 2020.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Does it seem like the text box chains we're actually corrupted by the new nightly? If so that sounds like a very concerning engine bug. Has anybody else seen anything like this happen?

Was it after-chains, instead-chains, or both? Were tag checks involved?
I only update my nightly version of the engine every two or three months, so this is a late November version I'm on I'm pretty sure. But it was next-chains on almost every long string of textboxes higher than 150 - the early game textboxes worked as intended, tag checks seem to have mostly worked as intended. Half the time when I went into the editor to fix the chains, jiggling left/right on the next textbox would move the "no textbox selected" part to the correct relative number relative to the intended next box and entering any number in the field would make it pop to one or two short of the absolute last textbox (but not the actual highest defined number for some reason). After fixing, saving, and re-compiling for distribution I tested the game again and found another (non-crucial but somewhat flavorful) text chain was broken again, just further down the chain than it'd been broken before so all the important tags and items worked out.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

Spoonweaver wrote:Found a lot of bugs. The Game expects a lot of grinding it seems.
Yeah, I checked my game's scripts and it turns out only one script was being used. Seems like I was trying to import another .hss with the rest of my scripts along with this one.
But don't fret, hopefully compiling all my missing scripts together should fix the issue.

In the meantime, don't review Birdcaged until this is addressed.
Last edited by Kefyrra on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

Okay, hopefully this new release is free of those nasty bugs!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I helped!
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Just a heads up, apparently the little side stories in Zalag were inaccessible, so I had to fix those. They're not terribly important, but getting back from them is.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

False Skies :: 9/10
This one is great. I hope the beginning stays fun and meta after the demo. I deducted 0.5 points because the battles and after battle screens are a bit jarringly pale. And 1 for no music.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Spoonweaver wrote:False Skies :: 8.5/10
This one is great. I hope the beginning stays fun and meta after the demo. I deducted 0.5 points because the battles and after battle screens are a bit jarringly pale. And 1 for no music.
I think the contest scoring disallows half points.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

TheLordThyGod wrote:
Spoonweaver wrote:False Skies :: 8.5/10

I think the contest scoring disallows half points.
That is correct. Whole points only. Spoon, would you rather give this an 8 or a 9?
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Just updated Hinterlands: Pilgrimage to fix some bugs identified by Bird (thanks, Bird!).
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I'll round up to 9
I've adjusted my post.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Thanks, Spoon.

Just letting everyone know that the contest's game list is now final and has been updated on the main page to reflect the changes. Every game on the list is officially up for votes and will remain on the list, controversy or not, until the end of time, or at least until the end of the voting period. Please give each one a try and vote whatever you think it deserves. Your criteria is personal, but I've provided a rubric for scoring if you need some guidance. Note: The game list is doubled in the rubric thread.

This brings the official count to 21. That's the highest number in the history of Heart of the OHR by a lot, so thanks to everyone who's participated this year. Thanks also to everyone who's already begun to vote. Keep those scores coming in.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I just got to thecrimsondm's One Pirate, and I have to say I love it.
vvight.wordpress.com