Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

dantedynamite
Red Slime

Post by dantedynamite »

Small update: I added a download for our more Linux oriented friends.

That being said, I downloaded the lot all the games and I am excited to play them all!
Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

Hello! Hope it's not too late to submit my game Birdcaged for Hotohr. I've made a few edits so this should be the definite version!
Last edited by Kefyrra on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

didn't have enough time to really post an actual demo for my game, but i'll make a thread about it eventually so that progress isn't lost within the discord
good luck to those who submitted a game :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That's a lot of games!

Last night I dreamt that a dozen people here had secretly banded together and each created a game, released all at once as a compilation, as a Christmas Day surprise! I was a bit disappointed when I woke up, until I remembered the Heart of the OHR - a Christmas miracle!

Main differnce was, in my dream there was a snazzly web catalog presenting the games.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

That's a lot of games!
Yep, we're up to 19 games. This is easily the heartiest Heart we've had to date. And there still may be one or two out there left awaiting confirmation or rejection. We shall see!
Hello! Hope it's not too late to submit my game Birdcaged for Hotohr. I've made a few edits so this should be the definite version!
Thank you for making it official. The list has been updated. For those who've already started downloading games, be sure to return to the list for this one. It was originally released in November, so it's within the window.

A Few Notes:

I've checked out Kylekrack and Swordplay's game Restoration of the K'ab last night (and made a recording of the gameplay, if the creators are interested). It was supposed to be part of this year's Heart. But, while it's been officially pulled from the contest, and after playing through it, I agree that it's not ready for 2018, I do think it's worth checking out as a testament to the interesting things we can do on the OHR, and if you haven't seen it yet, you should give it a look. If Kylekrack and Swordplay are reading this, I hope you'll finish it. It has a lot of promise from what I can see. Hopefully the rest of you will give it a try, even though it's no longer officially a part of this year's contest.

I wrote this on the main list, but I'll reiterate it here: Bird's Rolling, Radical Revolution is currently in German and may be difficult for most players to understand. For this reason, I'm allowing time for a translation patch up to the end of the voting period, if there's one planned for between now and then. Vote on its other merits in the meantime (unless you can read German and know what's going on).

"Really Hard Game" is the only game I have yet to look into or contact the author about. Has anyone played this? TheMan, if you're reading, is this a game you want in the contest? I'll be checking it out soon, but I want to get the heads up from anyone who might've played it if it's contest-appropriate.

I've begun the YouTube video recordings a couple of nights ago. I'll likely start uploading them this weekend or next week. But, I want to make sure you all have a chance to form your own opinions about the games before I start sharing mine, so they won't go online sooner than that. As I said in the original post for this thread, I will be making public only the videos that are suitable for my channel, and I've already got one game recorded that is not suitable, so that game will be unlisted on YouTube officially, even though I'll still provide a link to it from this thread, and for the sake of this contest only. I suspect there may be a few others coming, but I just wanted to give you all the heads up that not everyone's game will be publicly listed, and I'll be providing warnings for the ones that are unlisted, as you can assume those are videos that shouldn't be watched anywhere but at home. If there's anything that is inappropriate even for this thread, then I will not post it at all. I'll make my final ruling on what I'm willing to post once I'm finished with the recording process.

On a related note, I want to include an official "Heart of the OHR 2018" intro screen to every video devoted to this contest. I'm prepared to make my own, but before I do, I want to see if any of you better artists out there want to give it a go. What I'm looking for at the minimum is a black background with a rendered heart in the middle and either "Heart of the OHR" written in the middle of that, or "of the OHR" written in the middle of that, and the year typed out in a silver font just below and to the right of the heart. But, what I would prefer is an animation of that heart beating (I'll provide the sound effect) and Bob the Hamster popping out from somewhere and waving at us. If any of you want to take on that challenge, I would like a 2018 version and a 2020 version of the logo (animated, if you can), and if you do still frames, or can also do still frames, I'd also like ones for 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016 for a compilation video I plan to do in January (2018 and 2020 should also have still frames, but these are the only ones I'd like animated, too).

So, the short version is an animated .gif, or video, or OHR game file is preferred for the 2018 and 2020 versions, while a still frame of the logo is preferred for previous years' contests (and for 2018 and 2020, along with the animated versions). If any of you want to make that logo, let me know. Thanks in advance. If you make an animated version, try to keep it under 10 seconds.

That's about it for now. Anyone have questions? Have you started playing the games? Feel free to discuss them at any time.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

TMC wrote: Last night I dreamt that a dozen people here had secretly banded together and each created a game, released all at once as a compilation, as a Christmas Day surprise! I was a bit disappointed when I woke up, until I remembered the Heart of the OHR - a Christmas miracle!

Main differnce was, in my dream there was a snazzly web catalog presenting the games.
You and your zany dreams. Lay off the eggnog!
Pepsi Ranger wrote:If Kylekrack and Swordplay are reading this, I hope you'll finish it.
1. I forgot it was uploaded
2. Please don't play it anyone
3. idk if it will ever be finished or worked on.
There's a discord where we doing some of the game planning, and some google docs though... so it might happen. haaaa
Pepsi Ranger wrote:On a related note, I want to include an official "Heart of the OHR 2018" intro screen to every video devoted to this contest.
Sounds neat. I could imagine doing this with slices. If there are a lot of attempts at this, it might work well to splice the best components together :p If possible.

One thing I forgot to ask/mention is a warning or tag for games with explicit content. Maybe it could be useful...?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but Hanu in Hell is about 21 minutes long in its current state and most of it is battles. EDIT: It's also not finished.
Last edited by MorpheusKitami on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:I just wanted to give you all the heads up that not everyone's game will be publicly listed, and I'll be providing warnings for the ones that are unlisted, as you can assume those are videos that shouldn't be watched anywhere but at home. If there's anything that is inappropriate even for this thread, then I will not post it at all.
Could I have created a game TOO LEWD FOR THE OHR?

(Because being too lewd for youtube is about as easy as eating a ham sandwich and in no way an achievement)

Anyways, over the past couple days I'm going to be playing the games and taking notes on them, and giving them a rating as well as a short review that describes my thoughts on the game. The usual, basically. I'm really excited to see what everyone's done!

I hope people enjoy my game even if it is a bit rough around the edges. While I kiiiiiiinda rushed it to meet the deadline as this year hasn't been the kindest to me, hopefully what I've presented is a good experience, and the feedback will help me really fine-tune the upcoming final act of the game.
Working as intended!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Hanu in Hell by Mammothstuds

You're dead and have gone to hell. You've taken a new form in the process - that of a purple monkey, it seems - and obviously want to get out. The exit is 66 floors down. Good luck!

...unfortunately, this is a demo, and an exceedingly short one at that, so you're not getting that far in. There's the floor you start on, two dungeon floors [one of which is bereft of enemies], and an empty town. You have no attacks beyond your basic one [but that's okay; the enemies don't, either]; the only piece of equipment is a basic sword [unless you count the berry you start equipped with for some reason]. I finished what's here in 5 minutes, and that's even with a bit of getting sidetracked in the giant unfinished area up in the top-right of the second basement.

It's also severely unfinished, even for its short runtime. As mentioned right above, one of the three floors you explore isn't even finished; in addition, there's no background for the battles, all the NPCs are represented by a yellow square with 'P' drawn on it, and there's no sound effects or battle animations.

Some good: mammothstuds is a good artist, and it shows in the tiles and enemy designs [although one of them was reused from an earlier project of theirs]. The music is also way more intense than I was expecting; a good thing, sure.
Anyway this needs much more work on it before I'd even consider it a proper contender.

2/10, but really shouldn't be here at all.
Attachments
P
P
hanuinhell0001.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Hell is white!
Hell is white!
hanuinhell0002.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Last edited by Feenicks on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

There was a little problem here with a batch file, that packs the .zip file with all the necessary Ohrrpgce files on my old supercomputer. It didn't include the walkthrough in English that I had announced. With this, you might be able to win the revolution.
To be honest, this will be everything for the translation of my game, that I want to do for the contest. This definitively needs to be critisized in your votes, same goes for the ununderstandable dialogues.
I want to play games now! So many of your games are soooo inspiring! What a great OHR feast these days are. The translation comes after that, but it won't be ready for the contest.
Last edited by Bird on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I think I'm inclined to agree with MorpheusKitumi and Feenicks on this one regarding Hanu. I recorded my playthrough on it the other night and it lasted about five minutes (and the video shows I didn't enjoy those five minutes much). Although I won't officially drop it from the contest yet, as other games in past HotOHRs have had similar levels of low content, I do think it's exceptionally bereft of what we require from adequate contenders, more than the average uncooked entry, and I suppose it probably shouldn't contend this year. I plan to give it one more playthrough, just to validate my opinion on the matter, in case there's something I missed that may change my mind, especially since I didn't make it to the end of the demo, but I don't expect to find anything that would convince me to validate it if the stuff I haven't played is the same as the stuff I have played. In the meantime, I will leave it up to the voters to decide whether it gets a vote. If it gets too few, it won't make the rankings chart at the end of the voting period, and will essentially be disqualified by vote, assuming I don't officially disqualify it ahead of time.

Just to clarify its current position, it's on the list because the author had made the game for the contest and hasn't come back to withdraw it. If Mammothstuds officially withdraws it, it'll be out of the contest. Otherwise, for now I'd say vote or don't vote on it, and we'll see where it stands at the end of January. In the meantime, I will be playing it again to look for reasons to keep it in the contest. If I can't find any reason, then I'll pull it from this year's list officially.

@Bird

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking forward to testing how much German I remember.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

P.S. I've updated the original post to include all of the games and their respective links. Now you don't have to go hunting for it (on Page 14). I should've done that sooner.

I've also updated the notes on a couple of games in the contest, including the game under review at the moment. If any of you play a game that you think is NSFW or needs some kind of mature content warning, please let me know as soon as you play it (or if you're the author of such a game, please let me know ASAP), and I'll update that game's note with the warning attached. Thanks.

This contest has already given me an idea for a new rule in 2020: mature content warnings. Why hasn't that been in place before? We've certainly needed it in the past. The things I think about after the fact....
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

"Really Hard Game" is the only game I have yet to look into or contact the author about. Has anyone played this? TheMan, if you're reading, is this a game you want in the contest? I'll be checking it out soon, but I want to get the heads up from anyone who might've played it if it's contest-appropriate.
i never really considered putting it in the contest, but i wouldn't mind it being in there (if it's not a hassle to add). thanks for considering...
Last edited by TheMan on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Thanks for letting us know. It's on the list now.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Arc Wars :: 4/10
Big empty maps and slow speed bar fights aren't doing this game any favors.

Bale - Chapter 1 :: 8/10
Some of the fights seem badly balanced.

Birdcaged
:: 4/10
Found a lot of bugs. The Game expects a lot of grinding it seems.

Dark Planet :: 5/10
The quality of the graphics were all over the place

Dreamwalkers :: 7/10
I'm not a fan of the large empty school map

Drydocks :: 8/10
Seems well put together. There's a lot here. I found the game kinda boring though.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.