Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Compromises everywhere! How suboptimal. And most terrible is, that I even cannot do it better. Here is my entry for the Heart of the OHR contest, the game "Rolling, Radical Revolution". I worked for two years on it, especially with the purpose of placing it in an OHRRPGCE contest. Unfortunately, the translation work to get the heap of 2300 text boxes to English is too heavy for this month. Lack of experience... at least that's now gone. Anyway, the enormous desire to be in the contest brought me to the decision, that an untranslated game is better than nothing. Treat the dialogues, as if they are so badly written, that you simply don't understand the meaning of it. Use this as a criteria for the voting, because it's fair.
To give you some help with progressing through the game, there is a walkthrough in english in a file named ENGLISH.TXT (to be found in the zip archive). Still have fun!
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

dude even though I don't speak a word of german I can tell your game is really something else. i mean like just from the intro alone it stands out. keep up the good work
dantedynamite
Red Slime

Post by dantedynamite »

Looks like we're all just going to have to learn German then!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

If you ever need general help with translating text, plenty of people around will be able to give feedback on word choice and stuff like that.
There are some other German-speakers around here somewhere, but I'm not sure how frequently they show up...

I wish I had kept up with learning German. I studied it for 4 years, but that was 3 years ago :( That being said, I might not be entirely useless. Feel free to PM me if there's any way I can help. I'd hate for you to feel like your project can't reach the audience you want it to due to language barriers. Some community effort should be able to provide you with needed resources to get it translated in a reasonable amount of time.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sorry to hear about your miserable experiences, Fnrrf :(

I still aim to finish the HeartBugs feature requests this year, even if many won't make the bugfixing deadline. I should have free time until the end of the month, starting in a couple of days. Sorry for my shocking time mismanagement.

Meine Deutsch ist sehr schreklich, arber dieser gibt mir etwas Motivation zu arbeiten an richtig Übersetzunghelfer im das OHRRPGCE.
I hope you released the game too to German speakers somewhere else!
Last edited by TMC on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Thank you for your support! Though, I will make the translation by myself, because it is fun and a nice possibility to relive the dialogues again. But these large language barriers are not torn down in two weeks. Shouldn't have had that shunt with my bicycle...

I am looking forward for your games in the competition.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Bicycle shunt?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Shunt?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Planning on meeting up with a friend I haven't seen in a couple of years this Saturday, so turning something in on time is pretty much an impossibility. And honestly I'd rather do anything besides work on this game for one weekend.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

But anyways, here are some south-facing walkabouts I was working on about a month ago. Haven't drawn anything that isn't pixel art in over 3 months and I kind of hate it.

Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Foxley wrote:But anyways, here are some south-facing walkabouts I was working on about a month ago. Haven't drawn anything that isn't pixel art in over 3 months and I kind of hate it.
A recommendation: Print out your graphics and put them next to your programming shrine. Look at them, let them speak to your heart and you will love them. Or fix the wrong pixels that makes you not loving them.
TMC wrote:Bicycle shunt?
A "shunt" is a term in racing, when a driver crashes his vehicle. More unfitting words will be in the translation of my game, I expect.
Last edited by Bird on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Foxley wrote:But anyways, here are some south-facing walkabouts I was working on about a month ago. Haven't drawn anything that isn't pixel art in over 3 months and I kind of hate it.

I love these guys
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Planning on meeting up with a friend I haven't seen in a couple of years this Saturday, so turning something in on time is pretty much an impossibility. And honestly I'd rather do anything besides work on this game for one weekend.
I'm not going to be checking for the games until after my vacation starts (Tuesday at the earliest), so you basically have until I start compiling my list to get something into the contest. Sunday is the safe bet, but at this point, so is Monday.

How many of you are close but racing toward the deadline with sweat on your brow?
Place Obligatory Signature Here
dantedynamite
Red Slime

Post by dantedynamite »

Is that an official extension of the deadline until Monday?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Those sprites are great!

Everyone who is having difficulty finishing their game has my empathy and sympathy. Finishing games is hard!

Thank you to everybody for sharing progress reports about your games.