Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I just want to say I am very excited about this game's release. You have done some great work, and should be proud! :)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thank you!

Gaplan: The pricing should be working now in your region, let me know if it's still broken
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

If anyone plays the game on Steam and wants to leave an honest review, please do! So far sales are, uh, terrible.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Has KBB been doing any promotion for you? I didn't expect to see you on the top sellers list, but it's surprising to me that you aren't getting at least some tie-in sales.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

They've shared my posts and I'll be selling the physical copies at two shows this weekend. I don't think it's on their website yet.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'd consider trying to get the attention of Youtubers to see if you can get some free press. Also game websites, I think RockPaperShotgun is pretty amenable to giving shoutouts to obscure indie games from what I remember.

Jim Sterling can be kind of a douche but he apparently does amateur wrestling and also seems to like 16-bit style games with humor in them. Might be worth a shot trying to get him to play it.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Steam has a pretty good new system for reaching out directly to reviews/influencers/etc, they limit you to 100 submissions but it's very easy and streamlined. I think I've used 25 of mine so far but I'm not sure any of them have opened the game yet.
LieMurderProfit
Slime

Post by LieMurderProfit »

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

LieMurderProfit wrote:nice writeup on Indiegames+
https://indiegamesplus.com/2018/11/gian ... to-fantasy
Thanks for the link!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Marketing and selling a game is brutal, I wouldn't want to do it :(
The Steam forum/community page does need some activity. Aside from reviews and complaining about bugs, is posting screenshots the way players "engage" with a game on steam now? I haven't really used steam in years... I'll post a review when I'm done. But I've only just started.

BTW, does it matter that the steam overlay doesn't work on linux? I simply swapped out the copy of the 'kaiju' executable with one I compiled myself with gfx_sdl2, and the steam overlay (and better fullscreen) now works fine. gfx_sdl2 has received extremely little testing, but the SDL2 library it uses powers many of the linux game ports on steam.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Looking forward to your review!

Posting screen shots does seem to be a big part of community engagement now, I've only posted one myself. I know it's something I should do more, but they like you to post pictures taken from within Steam rather than pictures you already have, so I'd have to replay the game again.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Went ahead and bought it so I can do another playthrough and get some screenshots.

I mean, it's a GOOD GAME so I certainly don't mind buying it and playing it twice, though it might take me awhile since I'm also trying to tie up loose ends on my own game before the end of the month.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thank you!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Android port is now live on Amazon App Store - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2M2MV4/re ... big+battel

Google Play is giving me some file size trouble I need to figure out.

Also there's a contest going on to get a free copy on Steam: https://twitter.com/KaijuBBGame/status/ ... 9250899969
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

What's the file size trouble? I thought the .apk size limit on google play is now 100MB instead of 50MB, and I see that kaiju.rpg is 76MB zipped. (The engine only adds about 2 MB).
Incidentally, deleting the obsolete and unused graphics files from kaiju.rpg reduces its size by 12.5MB, though it only reduces the zipped size by 1.6MB.
Since kaiju.rpg is so big, and the OHR's Android port unfortunately extracts the .rpg from the .apk on the first run (fixing that is still on the TODO list), you're probably going to get a lot of people who don't have enough free space on their phone to actually play it - they will need about 130MB in addition to the space needed to install. At least deleting the obsolete graphics files will help a little with that.

Also, sorry for the radio silence. Playing games in my free time just doesn't come naturally to me anymore.
Just a reminder that if you want to post about the game, you can also do it on the steam forum : https://steamcommunity.com/app/611710/discussions/
Last edited by TMC on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.