OHRRPGCE stable release (Etheldreme)

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The OHRRPGCE has a lot of .exe files, and is only used by a relatively small number of users, so false positives on Virus scanners is going to be an on-going problem we have to deal with.

The best (and only?) way I know of to solve the problems is to report the false positives.

Each different antivirus company has their own procedures for false positive reporting.
jcenterprises wrote:As of this morning, Malwarebytes is still marking older versions of GAME and CUSTOM as malware, and this even includes the GAME.exe from the Steam version of C. Kane.
Here is the process for reporting false positives to Malwarebytes:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1164
https://support.malwarebytes.com/commun ... contact-us

This can probably only be done by someone who has Malwarebytes installed on their computer, and has a copy of game.exe or custom.exe that it is blocking.
roboman wrote:*dance*

I'm very happy to release this version. In the other hand, i have an AVG antivirus on Windows, which doesn't seem to work with the stable version. So I use the release candidate of Eteldreme (the dec 1 wip version), which surprisingly works.
AVG's instructions for false positive reporting are here: https://www.avg.com/submit-sample
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I ran Etheldreme through VirusTotal. It doesn't include AVG anymore. No scanners had a problem with custom.exe. Baidu claimed game.exe had a trojan. Another scanner flagged wget.exe in the minimal zip as unsafe, and two more reported something in two of the other .exes in the full zip file... but I don't know which, because the VirusTotal interface is really terrible!

If your virus scanner reports a problem, please try to report a false positive, because often we can't do anything about it without having the virus scanner installed.

I guess signing the .exes might also help to avoid false positives, if the same certificate is used for lots of different harmless .exes. Some antivirus companies like Comodo even let you get a certificate whitelisted.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

It might also help to have a link to the executable on each update on a non-wiki subfolder. everything file on replaceddotcom used to get flagged, but a month after i actually made it a website and linked to jade's files on it, it stopped getting flagged.

My suspicion is that links to files on forums and wikis are ignored (as possibly being botnetted onto the wiki/forum) whilst top level direct links build it's web of trust when the webcrawlers see them. That's just a personal theory though. I've had to do the false positive stuff too. Annoying.
Last edited by FyreWulff on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

(Noone really knows how these scanners make their diagnostications)
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

TMC wrote:(Noone really knows how these scanners make their diagnostications)
i've spent some time working on anti-cheat stuff.. i just see everything as heuristics now. Help.
roboman
Red Slime

Post by roboman »

TMC wrote:Argh, virus scanners; the bane of software developers! Can you give more information? Did you download both versions as a full zip file, a minimal zip file, or as an installer .exe? If you use the installer, does the installer run? Does AVG prevent both custom.exe and game.exe from running? What is the exact message it gives, what does it identify the file as? We need to know these things to submit a false positive report.
Is there no way to get AVG to unblock the file and directly report it as false positive, using the program instead of the website?
Now, it seems to run with the installer. But meanwhile i installed Ubuntu in order to avoid these anomalies with virus scanners.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Haha, that's the most complete solution to the problem :)
Do you mean it used to block the installer, but no longer does? That's good news.
roboman
Red Slime

Post by roboman »

Yes, it would be a complete solution. But i have a problem again. I haven't found i386 version from ethelderme, just the amd64 version, which doesn't run on my laptop. :???:
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

roboman wrote:Yes, it would be a complete solution. But i have a problem again. I haven't found i386 version from ethelderme, just the amd64 version, which doesn't run on my laptop. :???:
Try the .tar.bz2file instead of the .deb file

You can also see https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... quirements for how tough apt-get the library requirements
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

MalwareBytes seems to be giving false positives less, but still seems to go off if it scans a GAME.exe that had its name changed, and this still includes C. Kane.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

It might need to have multiple copies reported as false positives, of different versions.

I would suggest at least submitting ckane.exe as a false positive. (That one is probably still an older stable version? I imagine The Wobbler has not already updated the Steam version to etheldreme)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bob the Hamster wrote:It might need to have multiple copies reported as false positives, of different versions.

I would suggest at least submitting ckane.exe as a false positive. (That one is probably still an older stable version? I imagine The Wobbler has not already updated the Steam version to etheldreme)
I can't check the version right now but the build of C. Kane on Steam is likely a nightly build from mid-2016.
roboman
Red Slime

Post by roboman »

Try the .tar.bz2file instead of the .deb file

You can also see https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... quirements for how tough apt-get the library requirements
It's okay now. I'm not quite familiar with the Ubuntu system, just installed in order to run the custom stable. Finally, the 32bit x86 version runs. Now, it works properly. Anyways, it's awasome. Both Ubuntu and OHR. :-) I kept Win7 too, but i think Ubuntu is better. Thanks to OHR for setting up this Linux distribution! :-)
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I'm new aboard the Ubuntu train myself. It's a bit of a runaround doing a few things, but that's the price you pay for FREEDOM!
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Surprise! We've travelled back in time and added more features to Etheldreme. Even if you downloaded it last year :)

Code: Select all

* New attack options:
      * Base attack stats:
        * 100 * number of targets
        * Lost MP (attacker)
        * Lost MP or HP (target)
      * Attack chain conditions:
        * All targets' X stat > attacker Y stat
        * All targets' X stat < attacker Y stat
        * Attacker X stat < attacker Y stat
        * Stat-based chance &#40;attacker, max any target, min all targets&#41;
      * Attack chain bitset "Invert condition"
      &#91;zzo38, James&#93;
Last edited by TMC on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.