A kickstarter for a 3D printing company?

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

A kickstarter for a 3D printing company?

Post by Spoonweaver »

Hi!

So, me and some people from work are starting a 3D printer business.
I was originally going to post this in the other things we made thread, but it didn't really seem to fit. I'm mostly just posting this to explain what I've been up to other than growing my family. However, we are also doing a kickstarter and any attention I can bring to that is a good thing.
The kickstarter is starting July 31st. I will be posting again when it actually starts.
It would be super cool if anyone here could pledge even a single dollar.
Please don't feel like you have to or anything.

Anyways, here's the website. It's got a lot of stuff on it explaining the project. As I'm not the head of the project, the website will likely do a better job explaining the project than I can.
http://www.venturi3d.com/index.php

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That looks pretty cool!

I have not messed with 3d printing myself, but I have a cousin who is into it, and it always seemed to have a big do-it-yourself some-assembly-required aspect to it.

A 3d printer that just works out of the box seems very good. You don't even need a second 3d printer to make repair parts for the first one ;)

And the price is as low as where good laser printers were just a few years ago.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Huh, wow, interesting project to be involved in.
Is there any precedent for people successfully selling $1000 pieces of equipment on KS? I don't see why it couldn't work, though.

BTW, the website seems to have a lot of instances of randomly mixed lower/titlecase in the bullet point lists.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yes, I noticed the issues on the website.
The website is not handled by me. And as this project has only just begun, I felt no need to bring it to the person's attention who has already contributed more then I have.

As far as the thousand dolllar pieces of equipment on kickstarter, I think it's doable.
As an example, here's a 400 dollar knife that got kickstarted very successfully.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... lity-knife

But who knows.
I'm honestly not sure if it will succeed or not. I've sort of been the devil's advocate of the group, working out worst case scenarios. If the kickstarter fails, we'll try to get investors or a loan. If that fails, then the group will try to sell them individually on amazon or somewhere.

Anyways, I'll be advertising the kickstarter a lot this next month. Might even see an ad for it soon at the bottom of the page. (Unless you have ad blockers)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, hey, the ads at the bottom of SlimeSalad pages are gone. Mogri decided to ditch them?

Were you planning to continue to sell them on KS after the campign is over, as a storefront? Are you actually raising money needed to develop or manufacture anything, or are you just using it for sales?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yea.. I noticed the ads were actually gone after posting. Weird.

We'll be making the 3d printers. We've already lined up suppliers for all the parts and have been going over the procedure of construction.
And yea they'll likely be for sale on Kickstarter after the Kickstarter has completed, but that will likely be limited that as the price point may change in the future. After post kickstarter fulfillment gives us a better idea of actual cost rather than estimated.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:Oh, hey, the ads at the bottom of SlimeSalad pages are gone. Mogri decided to ditch them?
Project Wonderful is in the process of shutting down. That's tragic, because I was making about 5% of my hosting costs back that way!

Seriously, though, I did like Project Wonderful, and I'm sad to see them go.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sad to hear about project wonderful.

Anyways, the kickstarter is up and running.
Don't feel obligated to donated, but even a dollar helps increase the overall backer numbers and helps get the project seen more and look more legit.

https://kck.st/2ArJiFh

Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

So,
Sadly,

The company and I have decided to cancel the kickstarter.
If you helped out, thank you. If not, well thank you too I suppose. I mean at least you're reading this. :V

Anyways, we didn't get a lot of backers, but we did get a lot of attention from potential partners and investors.
We're rethinking the business model ( closer to my personal original plan :V ) and we plan to relaunch in the near-ish future.

Again, thank you for any sort of support.