Too much like Zelda?

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

the drizzle
Red Slime

Too much like Zelda?

Post by the drizzle »

I'm in the process of somewhat overhauling my game plan and I would like feedback as I go through the process. Pardon me if I'm over posting.

The plan for my game is for it to be exploratory. However, the story also has a time line of events and some of these events overlap. The problem with this is that I want to include in my game a countdown to a certain important event.

In coming up with a way that the player can advance through the time sensitive story while also being able to experience other aspects of the plot, I remembered Majora's Mask and it's mechanic of allowing the player to revert back to day 1 and start all over again.

While toying around with this, basically what I came up with (tentatively) was this:

1. There is a seven day calendar and a 24 hour clock
2. The player has an item which allows for travel back to the first day
3. If the player reaches the last hour of the seventh day, they will use the item automatically in a cut scene.
4. Events will repeat themselves at the exact same time and place on those seven days, barring player intervention in previous days.
5. The characters will be transported back to a certain time and place, and they will retain all items and experience they've attained despite their travel back in time.

My main question is, is this too much like Majora's Mask to the point where it will be distracting?

Follow-up: Are their any issues with what I've described that might be problematic?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I haven't played Majora's Mask, but your idea intrigues me. I say go for it.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Who cares if it's like Majora's Mask? This is fun idea if you can get it to work.

I'm not sure that using the item automatically would be that fun. I think if the player fails to use it before the seventh day ends, something should happen.

Just use tags or global variables to keep track of what's already been done. If those tags or globals are activated, then the player can skip that event for the day when it's time to repeat it.

Sounds like an easy creation. It'll just be a bit time consuming.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Calehay
Red Slime

Post by Calehay »

There's also a much less known RPG that does this called Ephemeral Phantasia.

This sort of thing is a little tricky because the player has to learn what they need to do even though they can (potentially) end up seeing the same cutscenes over and over. The main problem with EP is that it's almost impossible to get through without a walkthrough.

You're also going to have to come up with a way to deal with encounters and items. Certainly if the characters are at a high level, they won't want to fight through a low-level enemy dungeon again. The way that EP deals with levels and items is somewhat interesting. Instead of sending the player back with all of their items, you have the ability to unlock a character who has a magical vault where you can store certain items. Some items can't be stored (like healing items) and other items don't need to be stored to return with you. However, there are some important items that can be stored in the vault. What this does is it allows time-shifting puzzles to happen, for example someone needs something on the first day that you can only find on the fourth day. When it repeats, you now have changed the flow of time.

In the level system, characters have their own individual levels, but there's also a party level. You could potentially get any of the characters in the game after any week repitition that they become available. The party level raises the characters stats proportionate based on their individual levels. When your party level is high, even Lv. 1 characters aren't useless, and (I think) they also gain levels a bit faster to catch up with the party level. In addition, the types of enemies you encounter are based on your party lv., which avoids the bad situation of running around and fighting the same low level enemies continuously.

I don't know if I agree with removing the automatic item usage. I guess I'm just assuming that the only natural ending to the time warp would be the game's main villain. Perhaps it should be optional, but I don't think it should be upon the player to make sure that they don't forget to use it to avoid getting creamed by the boss.

The other thing that seems difficult about doing this is that you're really going to have to work to make a very live and interesting world. I think both MM and EP did this well. (Though EP more so, even if it became a bit overwhelming at first.) There has to be enough happening everywhere so that the player won't wander around looking for new things to do. I think sidequests and stories that you can follow through the week will really help in that regard.

I've posted way too much, but in short, I say go for it.
the drizzle
Red Slime

Post by the drizzle »

I'm not sure that using the item automatically would be that fun. I think if the player fails to use it before the seventh day ends, something should happen.
I think you might be right about this.
Certainly if the characters are at a high level, they won't want to fight through a low-level enemy dungeon again.
In terms of leveling up, the characters maintain the same stats regardless of their level. The only thing that changes is that they can learn new techniques with each level.

Fortunately, I'm fairly certain that I've already come up with a method of ensuring that the player never has to go through a dungeon more than once.
You're also going to have to come up with a way to deal with encounters and items.
I haven't decided completely what to do with items yet. I think I'm gonna make the players inventory and gold get wiped out at the beginning of the week. I think that'd add something more than a vault.
What this does is it allows time-shifting puzzles to happen, for example someone needs something on the first day that you can only find on the fourth day. When it repeats, you now have changed the flow of time.
That sounds pretty cool. There might be some way
There has to be enough happening everywhere so that the player won't wander around looking for new things to do. I think sidequests and stories that you can follow through the week will really help in that regard.
Yeah, that was my plan even before this. Originally I'd planned to make it linear, but the player couldn't witness all the events that I'd want to take place in one play through. This sort of solves that problem.