Campaign: A lonely town (Pathfinder)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

BMR
Metal King Slime

Campaign: A lonely town (Pathfinder)

Post by BMR »

Outside, the sign on the door that marks your simple two-room building as the headquarters of an adventuring company creaks a slow, mournful sound in the lonely midday wind. You haven't had much business in the past few months, mostly just the occasional little old lady trying to find her missing cat, or maybe the militia captain who's afraid of rats and needed your help with the infestation of rous in his cellar, or even something as trivial as little Johnny needing a babysitter for the night.

All in all, life is pretty terrible. You haven't had a proper paying job in ages, the bills are piling up, and the money you got for destroying that den of goblins (the last job you had that paid well) is almost spent. You've considered just selling the place and maybe getting a real job as a baker or something, but this building and the company that it houses is the last thing your adoptive mother left you before she was eaten by a pack of dire-pomeranians on her last adventuring job around a decade ago.

As it stands, most of your days are spent sitting around, polishing your armor, sharpening your weapons, memorizing spells (again), and all other sorts of things just to pass the time. You're going to have to figure something out soon if you're going to have a chance at keeping this place up and running. It's a relatively small town, and right now the merchants' guild has been putting pressure on you as they want to buy your building up and convert it into a stable for their donkeys as your headquarters are located conveniently at the edge of town near a major highway.

Then suddenly...

..a knock on the door.

Could it be... a client?

Right, so I thought I'd go and run a campaign here. If anyone is interested, go ahead and put a character together :) This campaign will mostly revolve around your adventuring company, the name of which is up to you guys to choose. You're located in the town of Ethelshire, a small town of around 2,000 people or so. This will hopefully be spread out over multiple quests, giving you the opportunity to build up your company as well as your social standing within the town (right now you're just a step above being seen as good-for-nothing beggars).

We'll use the following rules:

System: Pathfinder, use anything Paizo from d20pfsrd or Nethys. Third-party publishers on a case-by-case basis.
Starting Level: 3
Abilities: 25-point buy
Races: Any, but for longer-lived races you must be less than 60 years old
Classes: Any
Alignment: Any, but you have to play well enough with others in-character
Deity: If you need one (e.g. you're a cleric, druid, or paladin or somesuch) tell me what you're looking for and I'll provide you with a few. We'll be using my homebrew pantheon.
Traits & Drawbacks: Either two traits, or three traits and one drawback. Traits must be of different categories
Starting Gold: 1,000 gp, no individual item worth more than 500 gp
Current Company Gold: 2,000 gp
Current Hirelings: Oswald, your elderly orcish secretary and lawyer (8 gp/day)
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Mogri
Super Slime

Re: Campaign: A lonely town (Pathfinder)

Post by Mogri »

BMR wrote:Races: Any, but for longer-lived races you must be less than 60 years old
Is there a reason for the age restriction?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Nettles Broghar, Lawful Neutral Half-Orc Insurance Adjuster

Nettles looks up and down the back side of the Ethelshire Adventuring Co.

She always prefers, in her professional work, to approach a target business from the back, so as to get a better idea of the place, before knocking on the front door.

Frankly, the building is not in great shape. The roof's main-beam sags, and the nails on the back shutters look half rusted away.

She takes a scroll out of her pack and makes a few notes on it, before inspecting the side. The space between the Adventuring Co and the adjacent Tavern is so overgrown with weeds and nettles that she decides better of it, and goes around the other side again.

This is curious.

Most businesses applying for this type of comprehensive coverage are big and successful businesses; Guild Halls, Tavern Franchises, Temples. But this little run-down adventuring company doesn't fit the profile. It is located in a remote and lonely town, It looks as if the life of the proprietor is pretty terrible. They probably haven't had a proper paying job in ages, their bills are probably piling up, and whatever money they got for destroying that last den of goblins or whatever is probably long since spent.

Why then, would she be sent to assess a place like this? She wondered if there was a scam in the works. The client name on the file had been redacted by upper management, and there was no reason to assume the client was the same as the business being insured, but it all added up to seem suspicious.

There would be plenty of time to figure that out later. The visual inspection of the building was only a tiny fraction of the total assessment of the business's risk factors. the most important part would be to observe the Ethelshire Adventuring Co at work. Perhaps follow them around for a few days. Then she would have enough information to know what was going on.

As she rounds the corner, she is surprised to see that someone is in the middle of knocking on the door. Could it be a client?
James wrote:Help! I have no idea what pathfinder class would make a good base to build an Insurance Adjustor! I feel like this is a perception/investigation focused build. I don't envision this character as magical. She shouldn't be combat either, although I think a job like Insurance Adjustor in a fantasy setting probably brings one into contact with danger often enough that being fit to fight is at least a little bit of the job description.

EDIT: I just found "Investigator" which I will use if nothing better appears https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid ... estigator/

EDIT2: or maybe "Deductionist". I like this one even better, but it is a 3rd party class https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-pa ... uctionist/
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Avagrav Datana, Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cavalier

Pondering the situation he found himself in, Avagrav sighed. This being the good guy was harder than he thought. Staying away from women and booze was hard enough, but the constant lack of work was making him very, very anxious. He didn't like being anxious. Sure, the odd babysitting job was a nice diversion, but silently staring at children until they went to bed was beneath one of his stature.
It wasn't going to be long before debtors were going to start taking everything. Leaving would be a terrible thing to do, but getting locked in a jail cell for several years was an experience he wished to avoid. Mother, of course, was straight out. Maybe he should see if one of the towns nearby needed an imitation paladin.
His mental process was disrupted by an orc's visage in one of the back windows. Here come the jackals. A scout, or part of a larger group? He couldn't handle more than a few before getting overwhelmed. Better wake up the boss and the rest of the Ethelshire Adventuring Co. He banged on the door to the adjoining room. "Wake up my friends, for it seems the wolves have come for their pound of flesh!"
A knocking came from the door. Hmm, he thought. Debt collectors usually don't knock. Could it be a client?

Avagrav is intended to be a kind of discount paladin. He's evil, but he thinks that he has less of a chance of getting murdered in his sleep if he does good. To that end, he's found some kind of good goddess who enjoys not murdering people in their sleep.

This is the first time I've done something like this, so let me know if I'm missing anything or doing anything wrong.