James is Moving to Canada

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Hahaha is that the comedy record? My buddy had that on cassette, I'll never forget the story of Ralph the Dog. Also, the super secret backwards recorded hidden message.
I am Srime
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

@msw188: LA has so much wonderful food, and I have only sampled a tiny tiny fraction of it. I don't have any ramen places to recommend, but as for sushi I remember really enjoying "Slow Fish" on Wilshire.

@Gizmog: I have an open work permit right now, which I think is basically the Canadian equivalent of a "green card" in the US. Then I will be applying for "Permanent Residency" and after I have been there for five (or four?) years then I can apply for citizenship. I do think I have to take a test. I don't know whether I have to sing a song about the queen ;)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I'll be getting on the airplane crazy early tomorrow morning.

The nightly build box is currently inside a crate being shipped to Toronto, so they won't be updating for a while (totally separate from the issue of the wiki being down right now, which I thing was a botched update)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I am here! It has been quite a week. I have actually been in Canada since Tuesday, but today was the first time i had this much free time all at once :)

Beautiful Canada!

I have sampled the donuts at Tim Hortons,
I have eaten exactly one slice of circle-bacon per breakfast (satisfying legal minimums)
I have watched Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle on Treehouse.
I have listened to people politely apologizing to each other in turn.

I am currently job hunting. If any of you would like to add me on linkedin I am at https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamespaige/ or if any of you are willing to write me recommendation letters on Hired.com let me know, it would be most helpful :)

I am currently trying to get all the nightly builds re-built. it has been about a week and a half since I took the nightly build box down (and it is still not up yet, I am just trying to build them all from my other computer.)

Now I'm gonna go see if I can un-break the wiki...
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Good to have you back. Hope the move went well and you are all settling in.
vvight.wordpress.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

CONGRATULATIONS
Attachments
O3XM.gif
O3XM.gif (769.33 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Best. Show. On. Television.

It's like Barney, except instead of dinosaur costumes, everybody wears knock-off Star Trek uniforms.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

We took our daughter to their live show a couple weeks ago, she went bananas when Wags the Dog appeared.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, I missed that message a week ago that you were getting on a plane - it's happened! Hope you're settled into the new home. Now you only have to spend the next months (or years) unpacking boxes - if you're like anyone I know, the number of boxes left to unpack never reaches zero! (It's nice to have everything you never look at hidden away in boxes.) I guess Toronto will be full of novel sights for a long time.

Is Permanent Residency (realising you don't have that yet) like in NZ? Here in NZ it's virtually identical to citizenship; practically the only benefit of full citizenship is that you can get a passport, which means you can freely and indefinitely move to Australia :)

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle? Oh, you mean The Wiggles (Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle is the name of their new TV series) - are they only known in Canada, not the USA? Actually, they're Australian. I didn't know.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I think our box unpacking will be directly related to how efficiently we can acquire bookcases and cabinets. They might end up being our cardboard top-opening bookshelves :P

I think that Canadian Permanent Residency gets you everything except for full voting rights. It is the first step on the path to Citizenship, which we plan to do also, but that takes like at least 5 years. I don't think it will help us into Australia ;)

I had never heard of The Wiggles in California, but that very well might have been my own ignorance. Truly they are a gift to the world.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote: Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle? Oh, you mean The Wiggles (Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle is the name of their new TV series) - are they only known in Canada, not the USA? Actually, they're Australian. I didn't know.
They used to be bigger in the US than they are now, they don't even sell merchandise here anymore (aside from imports.) My daughter loves their stuff on YouTube.